PDA

View Full Version : How will this work?

odocoileus virginianus
08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Was given some spilled wheat seed that had been spilled this morning. Probably 400-500 lbs that I had to shovel into the back of the toyota. I hadn't planned on planting wheat but figured since it was free I'd take some. Don't really have the time to do any discing so I thought I'd spread the seed pretty heavy on some spots that I've had plots in the past and just mow down the grass on top of the seed. What are your thoughts on any success that might be had? If I had a spot to store the seed i'd wait and disc up a spot but that doesn't seem likely at this time.

dukslayr
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
What type of grass is in the plots now? You might get a decent stand if they're annual weeds/grass, as opposed to fescue. It's not terribly thick at the ground level, I'd say your chances are better. Depending on what type of grass/weeds are in the plot, you might spread your seed, hit it with gly, wait a couple days or so and then mow it. After that, pray for rain :D

odocoileus virginianus
08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
pretty much all annual weeds and not very thick.. We've been getting some good popup thundershowers lately so I'll just keep an eye on the forcast and hope for the best. Thanks.