PDA

View Full Version : Brassica Mix for PA

andymick32
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Does anybody have a good brassica mix for PA? I'm going to try and plant this weekend or the following. I figured I would get turnips and rape. I'm not sure what would be best for this late in the summer. Any suggestions?

THE, LLC
07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Trophy Radishes and Dwarf Essex Rape. A few purple top or gold globe turnips wouldn't hurt, either.

Scarecrow
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
You've got time.....anytime over the next few weeks is ok. I've used just about everyone's mix.......Biologic, EH, Tecomate, ......
The last couple of years I've been ordering straight seed. This year I ordered
a mixture of seed from Welters...Appin Turnip, Barnapoli Rape, Pasja Hybrid forage, and GFR. One thing I'll vouch for.......my brassica plots are not really used until late December.....but after that they're ripped right up.....nothing but bare dirt come March :eek: :D

Jeager
07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Andy....if you want to save some money, yet purchase high quality seed, you might want to consider checking with some of these guys first:http://www.kingsagriseeds.com/locate.php

There is close to 50 dealers located in PA and there's a good chance at least one of those is located near you. I purchase the bulk of my seed, especially brassica seed, Radish, T-Raptor rape, Barkant turnip etc. from my local dealer and he's by far the fairest priced source around.

dogdoc
07-29-2010, 03:15 PM
If you need it quick my favorite pre-mix brassica is EH Shot Plot. Costs more than mixing yourself but produces a great brassica plot.

jdunham
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I'll second the Shot Plot! Good stuff. I usually buy a mix at the local feed mill now but still use Shot Plot sometimes. You have a couple weeks to get it in, we are doing ours now but we won't have them all in till mid august.

88man
07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
The mix I used this year and just finished planting the 4 plots that total 7.5 acres;
To the acre:
1.5 LBS > Purple Top
1.5 LBS > Appin
3 LBS > Hunter Rape
5 LBS > Ground Hog Radishes

Darron
07-29-2010, 08:34 PM
The mix I used this year and just finished planting the 4 plots that total 7.5 acres;
To the acre:
1.5 LBS > Purple Top
1.5 LBS > Appin
3 LBS > Hunter Rape
5 LBS > Ground Hog Radishes

Very close to what I planted:

3# radishes
2# PTT
1# appin
1#pasja hybrid
1# rape
1# berkant

Rick
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Well I'm north of you, but I agree with dogdoc. The Evolved harvest shot plot has gotten planted here on our properties for the past 3 years and has worked great. I've tried a couple of the others, namely Biologic. (I bought into the "scientifically proven" hype.)

It might be a little more expensive than blending your own, but for $14 a half acre its easy and works great;)

Rick

bush hill
07-30-2010, 06:26 AM
I agree with the others that said shot plot is the best pre mixed commercial seed. This year I went with a mix of purple tops, appin, dwarf essex rape, and threw some ground hog radish over the top.

Paarcher
07-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Having put in food plots for many years in SW PA., my observations are that any type of brassicas will be eaten. Depending on other food sources and deer density will drive when they are used.

Having tried many commercial brands versus seeds bought from a seed shop, I see slight preferences but not enough to justify the pricing. Seed bought in quantity from a major seed company will be cheaper and will provide more diverisity.

Shot Plot and Biologic Maximum are good mixes. I have observed (especially with the Shot Plot) that it is not used until later in the year. Many seed companies such as Welters, Albert Lea and others offer the brassica seed mentioned in the other posts at a much lower cost. Unfortunately if you are planning to plant this weekend, you will not be able to get the seed that fast so your option may only be commericial. Also if you do not order enough seed, the shipping costs my eliminate your savings.

I am not sure if you have done any prep with you soil but pH is a factor with how much growth you will get. I have observed that DER will tolerate the lowest pH for growth. It is also the first type of brassica to be eaten. Meaning if I plant a plot of DER and a plot of Biologic Maximum, the DER will go first. Those writings of how the deer will wait until after the first frost for the enzymes to turn to sugar never makes it in my area once the deer know this is food.

Purple Top Turnips are great and cheap. Easiest to grow with good results.

I would suggest a fertilizer with your planting. A 19-19-19 is a good fertilizer. It's a matter of good timing but about one month after planting, top dress with a 46-0-0 fertilizer. Brassicas love nitrogen. It will help your growth but should be done prior to a rain to prevent burning of the plants or evaporation of the nitrogen.

Good luck.