PDA

View Full Version : Tips on broadcasting into standing sorghum/soybeans

Jcliff
07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I've got maybe 10 acres of sorghum/forage soybeans mixed. Most of it is reasonably thick, with some patches that have some bare dirt between.

I'd like to broadcast a Brassica / Groundhog Forage Radish / Clover / Winter Rye mix.

A few questions.
1. How do I broadcast without flattening the sorghum - I really like the height for securitiy cover. I'm assuming I have to use a hand spreader, but wondering if there are any other tricks?
2. I am hoping to broadcast right before a rain, with no disking involved - with this mix, will that work?
3. Any thoughts on a mix rate?

CaveCreek
07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
How tall is your Sorghum and soybeans?

I would personally have a spreader mounted at a height above the tallest existing forage (either four wheeler or tractor mounted) and just run. Emphasis should be placed on using a spreader that has a good broadcast distance. For instance, my Herd Seeder, with which small seed can easily be broadcast 30 plus ft. That would minimize the amount of forage you lay down.

Canuck5
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Something else to consider ...... I have standing corn that I plan to create trails in, 10-12 feet wide or so. I'll go in and spray for weeds, wait a couple of weeks, then overseed with brassica's & fertilizer.