PDA

View Full Version : Deer Mineral Mix

firepiper39
07-26-2010, 06:08 PM
I have read that to make a Do It Yourself mineral mix for deer You need the following items, which could be purchased at any Feed or Farming supply store.

1. One part = 50lbs DiCalcium Phosphate

2. Two Parts = 100lbs Trace Minerals

3. One Part = 50lbs Stock Salt

4. 10lbs Dried Molasses

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND DiCalcium Phosphate???!!!:confused:
I cannot find that stuff anywhere.

Thank you in advance.

Ohio Darin
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I get it at the local feed store

firepiper39
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I have tried Tractor Supply and Farm City those are the only two feed stores close to me. I don't live in farm country so my resources are limited. I live in Orlando, Florida.

Jeager
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Some of the bagged cattle minerals already has Di-Cal added.

firepiper39
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
The guy at Tractor Supply thought I was nuts. The other guy at farm city knew I wanted the mix for deer and he says you cant get it here anywhere. I looked on line and I just get places in China and India.

Ohio Darin
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Did you try Palmer? it looks like they should have it if they are what they say.

Jethro
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
The way I understand it DiCal is a dairy supplement. Don't quote me on that because I could definitely be wrong. Anyways, I can't find it anywhere around here. My family does a reunion every year in Arkansas though, and there is a little feed store by their house that has it. I always buy mine when we go up there, try and keep a year or so ahead.

j-bo
07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Why not just get a $5-$6 trace mineral or salt block at TSC?

But..if you are intent on doing the mix.....

Try some of these places:

Orlando feed stores (http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx?what=feed+store&where=Orlando%2c+Florida&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-us&ac=false&q=orlando+florida+feed+store&qpvt=orlando+florida+feed+store)

tkopke
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I get mine at Fleet Farm in WI, and it is with all the other farm supplements for cows and horses.

As a note to the mix...The deer love it! The last two weeks especially the bucks have been hitting it hard The largest by us sits around th emineral site for several hours at night frequenting it a couple times during the same night. They are now digging a hole.

I have mixed molasses with it, but have quite doing that. I did it in th ebeginning just as an attractant, but don't think it is needed.

Something the deer seem to love, and it is cheap (~$40 for 200 lbs - 50 lbs Di-Cal, 100 lbs Trace, 50 lbs stock salt)!

tkopke
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
J-Bo you get a lot more in the mix than just a plain old block. The deer also hit this a lot more than they hit our blocks in the past. You can spread it out, and have several deer consuming it at once.

j-bo
07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
J-Bo you get a lot more in the mix than just a plain old block. The deer also hit this a lot more than they hit our blocks in the past. You can spread it out, and have several deer consuming it at once.

That's good for you and glad you're happy with it.

You can get trace mineral in a bag and spread it too.

I won't be debating this topic as it has been hashed out numerous times before.

Happy hunting!

firepiper39
07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I don't want to start a debate, I just want to find it. I guess I could just try a mineral block and pour some molasses over it so they find it. I kind of want to do the mix though but, it's getting late in the year. I appreciate all of your help fellas. Oh and by the way Palmer doesn't have it either. Didn't even know what it was. However, he is going to call around and see if he can get some. Thanks again fellas.

Muddy Creek Farms
07-27-2010, 09:06 PM
If you're going to put out a mineral lick, from what all I've seen you need to make the following recipe.
1 part di-cal
2 parts trace mineral
1 part stock salt.

It's a waste of money from September til February. Deer don't need the calcium uptake then like they do during the summer. Does are lactating and bucks are building antlers.
Just my $.02 worth.

Deer_Farmer
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I have experimented with building my owner mineral mixes and purchasing different minerals. The earlier post is right about the timing of using the minerals. The stop the minute they ween fawns and dry out antlers. In my experience, I have found no custom mix or bagged mix better than Dumor Spring Mineral. You can get it at Tractor supply in bagged or block form. The ration of minerals are close to what you are looking for with crushed molasses mixed in as well.

firepiper39
07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
So Deer Farmer your telling me just to buy a bag of that mineral mix and a bag of Molasses and mix the two and I will be good? Ok, works for me. I know putting it out is too late now. I just can not find DiCalcium Phosphate. I will buy the mineral mix and the molasses and put it out next Turkey Season. Thanks guys. I was hoping someone would come up with a brand name of something similar that I could use.

Muddy Creek Farms
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
The salt and molasses will work fine now as an attractant. But it won't have any nutritional value.
The Di-Cal really doesn't have much of a brand name that I know of. Are there any dairy supply stores around there? if so, next year when you get ready to put it out, I would check there. They'll have it.

Dan Sander
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
What do you guys think about "trophy rocks"?

smsmith
07-28-2010, 10:26 AM

I think they work just as well as "tiny trophy rocks" - otherwise known as rock salt.

Arch_e_Tech
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't think it is too late for minerals if you live in the south. I live in south central Alabama and our deer are just now starting to show buttons on their heads.
Last year our mineral licks were hit all year long. I have trail cam pics of deer using them well into the winter. Even the bucks kept using them up into Nov. and Dec. They just only hit them late at night. No more daylight sightings.
I am going to try this mineral combination this weekend on our propperty and see which the deer prefer. The store bought, premix or this do-it-yourself, homemade recipe.
Thanks.

Arch_e_Tech
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
By the way, I like trophy rocks mainly because it is the only leagal attractant I can use in my state. The deer hit those all year last year too. They may not be giving the deer any nutritional benefit, but I think they just like the salty taste. Their desire for that taste kept them coming back all year long and helped us take care of some of our doe population. :D

tkopke
07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Deer didnít care for the trophy rock at our place. Still have pieces of it on the ground, and itís been out since the spring of í09. I think the weather has done more to it than the deer.

As far as supplements in the fall/winter go I say donít stop. We can debate it on here forever. I look at it like Vitamins for people. Some believe it helps and take them, some donít and donít take them.

I wouldnít worry about pouring molasses over a mineral block to attract deer. The block itself will attract them just fine. I tried dried molasses in my mix last year to try and get them to the mineral site quicker since I put the mineral out in Sep., and wanted to get trailcam pics ASAP. This year I started a new site without the molasses, and the deer found it within a day.

Bob S
07-28-2010, 01:18 PM

I used Trophy Rock when it was legal in Michigan's lower peninsula. I didn't use any other attractant for my camera locations.

Dan Sander
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
It looks like those does sure did like it. Where's the pic of a booner licking it!
Arch_e, I thought they had all sorts additional micronutrients aside from just salt.....

blumsden
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
It's according to your goals as to what to use. As an attractant, pure salt is hard to beat, has no food value and legal to hunt over in Alabama. If you are wanting to help the deer, then the di-calcium phosphate mix is the way to go. I'm in northeast Alabama and the deer here have their racks pretty well established.

Bob S
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Where's the pic of a booner licking it!According to the Commemorative Bucks of Michigan record book there has never been a booner taken in Missaukee County. Therefore I don't ever expect to get a picture of one.

Deer_Farmer
07-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I agree that the molasses is a good attractant. I doesn't enhance the nutritional value at all. I think it would definitely add to attraction side of a homemade mineral. If you can find all the ingredients you are looking for, I would try to get some out this year. I am in central Alabama and I am getting tons of pictures on my cameras over minerals - about 300 per week. I didn't have any shots of bucks on my last visit, but here are a couple from last month over one. I started with bagged mineral but got tired of having to reapply so I stuck a block in the whole they dug. The rain breaks the block down and seeps the mineral into the soil.

http://wildlifefarming.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/060920581-e1280377594143.jpg
http://wildlifefarming.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/06012356-e1280377688529.jpg

I found a good read about two years ago that started my interest in minerals. Don't rely on the estimated costs because it was written a few years back, but the info is really good. It won't let me attach the article because the pdf. is too large but if you google "deer mineral Dumor Spring Mineral" and it will be the first result. The article isn't just about minerals but how to make inexpensive attractants in general. There is also a former thread on this exact topic.

http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8347

DF

Arch_e_Tech
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
It looks like those does sure did like it. Where's the pic of a booner licking it!
Arch_e, I thought they had all sorts additional micronutrients aside from just salt.....

They do have more micronutrients than just salt. The salt is just the taste I think they like.
I'm putting some more mineral stations in on my property this weekend. I'll put a camera on one and update with pics as I get them.
Here are some pics from last year.
The first is of a small buck still using the lick in January.

Here is a small bachelor group that were frequenting the area in November of last year.

First time I have attached pics, so I hope I did it right.:o

Arch_e_Tech
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Just one more pic since I now know how to post pics on this thing. LOL.
This is one of the bigger bucks on our property that frequented the mineral stations. We never saw him in the daylight, but are afraid he got hit by a car durring the rut, right after season was over. We tracked his blood trail across the property, but never found him. We hope he didn't die, since it was a glancing blow on his hind quarter, but we may be just be wishing.

Arch_e_Tech
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, it seems that the deer that was hit by the car was not the above mentiaoned tall 8 point. We got a picture of what seems to be him, last week. His horns are not fully developed, but look very similar to how they did last year. Especially his tall brow tines. So, that is good news. Hopefully we will get some more pics of him as his horns mature.

Arch_e_Tech
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Here is the latest pic from one of our mineral sites. The above mentioned buck is still with us and looking pretty good! As you can see he is standing in the mineral hole. Lets hope he continues to show up in the day light durring bow season!

j-bo
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Good Luck on that one!

SouthernStrut56
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Arch, you can hunt over plain white salt down here in Alabama, it's legal, but doesn't do much for attracting during hunting season. You're better off finding a good stand of white oaks. You oughta get you some good lick sites established next spring though, they'll come back to it year after year if you keep it fresh. I started lick sites just for picture purposes, I don't think the minerals really do much at all for deer health or antler growth. The biggest buck I ever got on camera was visiting a lick made from trace mineral and dicalcium phosphate in mid July. I've also found that deer are really drawn to a mineral lick over exposed tree roots.

Arch_e_Tech
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
SouthernStrut,
Yeah, last year we hunted over pure salt and the mineral rocks that are legal. Only killed a few does over those.
Like you, our licks are mostly for cataloging what deer we have on the property with cameras. Our biggest bucks always show up on those and not so much at the feeding stations. Not sure why that is.
Your right about the white oaks. We did not see a deer on a green field until late December. Every one we killed prior to that time was full of acorns. That's why we moved our lock on stands to the hardwood areas this year. Hopefully we will catch a few browsing on their way in and out of bed. :D

rudye18
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey guys I have had this type of mineral lick out this year and I can say it works.

In the past few years I have tried everything.

Last year was trophy rocks.
Year before that was bagged spring mineral stuff from tsc.

But this stuff has blown those results out of the water.

So far since april I have put out 750 lbs of my mix and now have only a hole. They go crazy for it. the thing I am noticing now is they are not as interested as they used to be.

To the original poster my advice is to do what I am going to do, when I need to freshen up the site I am going to put only salt, and dried molasus.

Then come febuary I will start back to the regular. As it was this year they only came anyhow for the salt and molasus, but ate the di cal basically by accident. So for this fall they should be fine with just salt. My mindset is that in the summer the di cal just "gets in the way" basically and gets consumed as well.

The 2 things I have experienced is this, always have as much (dried) molasus as di cal. The di cal is very bitter and deer need molasus to counter it.

The other is without a water source present your site will be dead.

Good luck, but I seriously think for now till spring you need only trace mineral salt, or plain salt.

Also if you still can't find it let me know, if you want I can always ship it to you, perhaps if we got enough together my local feed store would give us a discount.

hrcarver
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
The other is without a water source present your site will be dead.

Good point that is often looked over. Here are a few pics from my sites with a similar recipe.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/buckw4.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/81509mogettinsloppy.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/bioplots2.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/buck3-1.jpg

Arch_e_Tech
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Those are some mighty nice pics hrcarver!

scrapejuice
09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I've used the trace mineral, di-calc., stock salt mix the last couple years with great results at several locations.

I get tons of pics from March till late August on the licks. I usually relocate the cameras at that time, so they still could be using them I don't know.

They really get after the stuff, by pawing and digging at it. I guess they just lick the dirt.

There is still some debate as to whether the di-calc. actually benefits the deer. But in theory it should, assuming that they are really consuming enough of it. My thoughts are its a little expensive, but in the grand scheme of things by the amount that you can actually make its fairly economical compared to other mineral supplements.

Arch_e_Tech
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Scrapejuice,
I agree. I have heard both ends of the spectrum on the mineral supplement debate. I personally believe it works, similar to how vitamins and minerals work in us humans. Either way, I feel it is a good attractant for the deer. Just another reason for them to hang out and stay on my property and not my neighbors. ;)