PDA

View Full Version : Spoked Deer

criggster
07-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I've got a few questions for everyone. First, let me say that my number one goal for the future is not to spook a single deer when I'm hunting and traveling to and from stands. I know that it will inevitably happen. For the sake of argument let's say that a spooked deer is one that changes it's intended path of travel due to either seeing, hearing, or smelling you. So, how many deer or groups of deer do you spook in a season? I would say that I average hunting about ten days per year and probably spook around four deer or groups of deer per season.

I travel to my stands under darkness and usually sit in the same stand all day and leave at dark. This brings me to my next question. Do you change stands during the course of the day if the wind switches and is not the wind you want? Most of the time I have a constant W/NW wind and can sit in the same stand throughout the course of the day, but have been known to switch stands if the wind changes AND I think I can get to my other stand without spooking deer.

I know that if I can keep from spooking deer and let them know I am hunting them my success rates would be much better. I believe I am doing doing an OK job, but there is always room for improvement!

fiveyear
07-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I admit it is bad to spook deer going and coming. I also think sometimes it is unavoidable. Sometimes it may work to your benefit to move quickly so as not to prolong your entry and exit.

Don't get me wrong I will stop and let something cross a road, stop if I hear noise and watch closely going and coming. I try to minimize my impact while at the same time making my way to the stand quickly.

I do change. In the south when it is hot in the middle of the day it is hard not to get out and cool off. I will however return to the same stand a few times to see what walks provided all else is good.

lone cedar farm
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Heard someone say many years ago for every 1 Deer you see in the woods theres 10 that see you, dont know the % but I'm sure thats close for most situations. Thats also why generaly the first time you hunt a stand is usualy the best whether you think you enterd like a ninja or not.....something seen or smelled you :) hunting a stand with the wind in your favor is a must!!

kansas-andres
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I've got a few questions for everyone. First, let me say that my number one goal for the future is not to spook a single deer when I'm hunting and traveling to and from stands. I know that it will inevitably happen. For the sake of argument let's say that a spooked deer is one that changes it's intended path of travel due to either seeing, hearing, or smelling you. So, how many deer or groups of deer do you spook in a season? I would say that I average hunting about ten days per year and probably spook around four deer or groups of deer per season.

I travel to my stands under darkness and usually sit in the same stand all day and leave at dark. This brings me to my next question. Do you change stands during the course of the day if the wind switches and is not the wind you want? Most of the time I have a constant W/NW wind and can sit in the same stand throughout the course of the day, but have been known to switch stands if the wind changes AND I think I can get to my other stand without spooking deer.

I know that if I can keep from spooking deer and let them know I am hunting them my success rates would be much better. I believe I am doing doing an OK job, but there is always room for improvement!

Im guessing I spooked 15+ deer while exiting or entering my stands last year.

My property is rolling terrain which seems to make the wind very unpredictable, The wind seems to change constantly. I dont usally change stands because the wind changes. When I bowhunt all day, I usally will switch to another stand mid-day.

ureyes
07-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Out of 72 trips on stand last year I would have to guess I spooked deer atleast 10 times during entrance/exit.

Its virtually impossible not to spook atleast some deer during the course of a hunting season. Especially if you intend to hunt a place deer want to be.

I try to mantian enough presence on my property during the off season that the deer are not takin totally aback by an occasional encounter with a human.

How much does it effect them???? probably depends on what happens during the off season just as much as what happens during.

The worst spook I had all year was a 4.5yr old buck that was #1 on my hit list. Saw him go into my woods on a morning hunt trailing a doe. I stupidly slipped out of the stand at noon to grab a quick lunch and make the wife happy with my presense before heading back out by 2. I thought the buck and doe would be bedded up for the entire mid-day but I was wrong. Less than 20 yards from my destination I spooked both of them off the wood edge where they had moved to while I was gone. It wasn't a gentle spooking either. Niether of us saw each other until we were less than 15 yards apart.

I would have thought those deer were headed to the next county but I saw the same buck the next morning trolling the same area he was spooked from the evening prior....he didn't even looked worried.

Could it be that I regularly travel this area during the off season and the deer know that human intrusion is not nessicarily unusual there....maybe?

Spooking a bedding area is one thing....spooking anywhere else would likely be handled differently by the deer.

outdoorstom
07-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Out of 72 trips on stand last year I would have to guess I spooked deer atleast 10 times during entrance/exit.

Its virtually impossible not to spook atleast some deer during the course of a hunting season. Especially if you intend to hunt a place deer want to be.

I try to mantian enough presence on my property during the off season that the deer are not takin totally aback by an occasional encounter with a human.

How much does it effect them???? probably depends on what happens during the off season just as much as what happens during.

The worst spook I had all year was a 4.5yr old buck that was #1 on my hit list. Saw him go into my woods on a morning hunt trailing a doe. I stupidly slipped out of the stand at noon to grab a quick lunch and make the wife happy with my presense before heading back out by 2. I thought the buck and doe would be bedded up for the entire mid-day but I was wrong. Less than 20 yards from my destination I spooked both of them off the wood edge where they had moved to while I was gone. It wasn't a gentle spooking either. Niether of us saw each other until we were less than 15 yards apart.

I would have thought those deer were headed to the next county but I saw the same buck the next morning trolling the same area he was spooked from the evening prior....he didn't even looked worried.

Could it be that I regularly travel this area during the off season and the deer know that human intrusion is not nessicarily unusual there....maybe?

Spooking a bedding area is one thing....spooking anywhere else would likely be handled differently by the deer.

I'm sure the only reason he was still hanging around was a hot doe. It's very frustrating when I do spook a deer, but it's going to occasionally happen and I try not to worry about it.

BigBuck
07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Last season I spooked 1 deer, that I know of. I'm sure there where others that saw me, but stayed bedded.
I am in the hill county, wind is NEVER consistant, so I focus on getting high up, and eliminating my scent. So far so good.
I refuse to go to a stand that I know I will spook a deer, I dont care what the wind is doing (not that it will be doing that same thing 10 minutes later!)