PDA

View Full Version : No Till Seed for a plot

NeverGiveUp
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I need some input and suggestions for some no till seed for a deer plot, and something that i can plant like this week! The plots will be about 1/4 to a 1/2 acre... thank you very much!

dukslayr
07-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Something you can plant this week? Being in northern Ohio, I'd guess you'd have to go with some sort of brassicas mix. Any reason why you want to plant it this week? Have you had a soil test done? What's around you? What's been planted before? There's a lot of info that'll be needed to help get you pointed in the right direction!

NeverGiveUp
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Would like to plant it this week, so it will be ready and the deer can get use to it by Octoberish? No soil test, and nothing has been planted!

banc123
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Probably have a few weeks. If you're not going to get a soil test you're playing a little plot roulette but if you can kill whats there with gly then put down as many bags of pellet lime as you can afford a week later than no till broadcast some rye, oats and brassica with a 50-100 lbs of 19-19-19 in Aug, you might get lucky.

NeverGiveUp
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
is there any certain type of no till seed i should buy?

dukslayr
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
By type, do you mean brand or variety?

Pretty much all seed is the same, whether it comes from the coop or Cabelas. Some may be innoculated, but you can do that yourself. First thing's first, you should decide what it is that you're wanting to plant and go from there.

banc123
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
grains (rye, oats, wheat) do OK no tilled as do brassicas. As mentioned, the cheapest you can find will generally do and will generally be at a feed store or farm center. Ask or a cereal rye, seed oats or winter wheat. For brassicas, a forage rape and turnips should do. Since its a small plot, I'm not advocating commercial blends, but sometimes its just easier to pick something up a walmart on the brassicas = shot plot = $20 retail for 1/4 acre. The grains you'll be way better off price wise getting it from a feed store.

CaveCreek
07-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Sorry gotta go here: NO TILL SEED DOES NOT EXIST.

Some companies got a bad name goin.

I do prefer the company that advertizes throw and grow - at least the name is much more meaningful/accurate.

There are certain seed types that are more adapted to germinating and establishing sucessfully (without soil incorporation). This is really just overseeding, with no soil disturbance.

These typically are the harder and smaller seeds:
Winter Rye, Wheat, Clover, and Brassicas (which includes Turnips, Radish, Rape, Kale, etc.) Vetch can be included here as well, but is neither very browse tolerant nor the most attractive whitetail forage. Chicory can be done, but its a bit expensive for such a method.

Brassicas is your only logical choice if you must plant now. Waiting a while longer would give you more forage options.

LAHunter
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Get a soil test this week. Then you'll know what you can plant.

NeverGiveUp
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
CaveCreek, have you used that throw and grow before? and if so, how is it?

dgallow
07-13-2010, 12:54 PM
At this point, the soil your planting into is more important than the seed you choose. Is this a wooded opening? Fallow crop land? Old unimproved pasture? Improved pasture? Upland or bottomland? You have plenty of time please tell us more about the plots!

Overseeding is the correct term and has been around for eons both in row crop and pasture management! "Throw-and-grow" is the same concept just 'Barbied-dolled-up' to sell expensive 'Buck-on-a-Bag' brand seed, which germinates easily, to hunters either pressed for time or unwilling to prepare the soil. What they do not tell you is that some of the 'throw-and-grow' plants can be invasive and become a weed you have to deal with down the road....aka annual ryegrass.

You can read more about overseeding and the general concept of overseeded cover-crops in the link in my footer.

rocco
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
here's an excellent starting point. after this, you can search for more of QDMOhio's posts...

http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=26603

LAHunter
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Throw & Grow is mostly tetraploid ryegrass, which is at least better than regular (diploid) ryegrass. Yes, it will grow if you throw it out somewhere where it gets sun and water. You may even end up with a nice green field and it's also possible that deer might eat it.

If you're dead-set against pulling out a shovel, bucket, and $7 for your soil test, buy the Throw & Grow, throw out a bag of pelletized lime and 13-13-13 fertilizer and broadcast your seed before a decent rain: classic food plot gambler formula. It's also something I do on trails and other areas that I don't want to till up due to erosion concerns.

Honestly, you might be better off just fertilizing whatever browse the deer are using and hinge-cutting the small non-preferred stuff. A pair of "loppers" can make quick work of small trees and leave a mess of still-growing limbs that will provide cover and let the blackberry, greenbrier, or whatever else climb on them.

NeverGiveUp
07-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I will be planting in a wooded opening... its flat ground, with a waterhole approximately 100 yards away

CaveCreek
07-14-2010, 12:26 AM
CaveCreek, have you used that throw and grow before? and if so, how is it?

Never,

Sorry, I gave a wrong Impression. I have not. I simply like the name.

To throw and grow, does not give optimal results, but it can be done (with herbicide). Just not a fan of calling the method no-till. No-till involves use of sophisticated planting equipment that properly handles trash/residue and meanwhile accomplishes precision planting.