PDA

View Full Version : pistol storage while in and out of Canada

BillBowhunter
06-15-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm going to the Canadian Rockies this summer and wonder if anyone has an idea on where I can store my carry pistol for a week or so until I come back to the USA? Entering Canada in the vacinity of Glacier Nation Park.

Tap
06-15-2010, 06:30 AM
You may want to check with a gun store on the U.S. side. Maybe they will hold it for you.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can possess a handgun in Canada...Period. A few years ago we took the Alaska Marine Ferry from Washington to Alaska, and was told we couldn't even have a pistol on the boat because we would be in Canadian waters.
Thank God for our Bill of Rights!

Bobby
06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Us Canadians don't have much for options when it comes to legal hand gun use. As a resident I must have a special license/course to have one, it must be kept with multiple locks in your home, and if you plan to take it anywhere it must be to an approved firing range. Even to get to that range you have to make prior arrangements to trasport it for that time of the day directly to the range and back. Needless to say I've never bought one....

Dogwood
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Needless to say I've never bought one....

Point and case. Too many restrictions will deter most any law abiding citizen from exercizing their rights.

Bob S
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
A suggestion I read on a gun forum one time. Stop at a bank on the US side before leaving the country and get a safe deposit box for your "valuables" for the time period you will be out across the boarder.

I think this was suggested for someone crossing the border on a regular basis and could keep the safe deposit box indefinitely. I don't know if a bank will issue a box for a week or two.

cblackburn13
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Even if they don't do a week or two they are cheap. Get one and then cancel. It's worth chekcing out.

lone cedar farm
06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Us Canadians don't have much for options when it comes to legal hand gun use. As a resident I must have a special license/course to have one, it must be kept with multiple locks in your home, and if you plan to take it anywhere it must be to an approved firing range. Even to get to that range you have to make prior arrangements to trasport it for that time of the day directly to the range and back. Needless to say I've never bought one....

Thats gotta suck, Our criminals in the U.S. would love that law! :rolleyes: I dont leave home without mine. ;)

bhanks55
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
while getting a safe deposit may sound good, you will be walking through the bank with a firearm.
I think that is a problem....Possibly a felony if you get caught. Maybe I am misinformed. I never said I was an expert.

Thump1
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
while getting a safe deposit may sound good, you will be walking through the bank with a firearm.
I think that is a problem....Possibly a felony if you get caught. Maybe I am misinformed. I never said I was an expert.

I think (edit to thought) 55 was correct. After a quick google it looks pretty iffy; state not federal, posted or no posted. I'm no lawyer, it was an internet search (has to be correct, right?) and hate the idea of jail...

Another place that might safe deposit it for you is a hotel although I don't know about telling them what it is.

The earlier mention of a sympathetic gun store probably works. Heck, depending on where you are, some police dept might hold it for you.

woodsman324
06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
What do you have, one of those multi-state pistol permits? We don't need a permit unless it's concealed here. I went to the sherriff's to see about getting a carry concealed permit and it looks pretty simple. If you get in a bind you can drop it off here as I think it's pretty safe here on out west. I don't think I'd take it into a bank without calling them first.

Tap
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Another thought...
Before you cross the border you could ship it back "home". But I believe to ship a handgun, you must ship from a firearm dealer to another firearm dealer. At least that is the procedure if a gun is changing ownership. The downside to shipping it home is you won't have it when you come back across the border.
Ridiculous gun laws... Over 20,000 on the books and Washington wants more.

Bob S
06-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Concealed means concealed. If your gun is properly concealed it will be no more noticeable in a bank than it would in a grocery store. Once you are in the private cubicle take the gun out of your holster and place it in the safe deposit box. No one in the bank needs to know what "valuables" you are putting in the box.

kicker30
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
If a gun store will not necessarily "store" it for you, go somewhere that offers cleaning services and leave it there for a "cleaning," just make sure if it is a busy place they will be done with the actual cleaning by the time you get back. It will cost something but you get the benefit of storage plus a professional cleaning.

bhanks55
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
If a gun store will not necessarily "store" it for you, go somewhere that offers cleaning services and leave it there for a "cleaning," just make sure if it is a busy place they will be done with the actual cleaning by the time you get back. It will cost something but you get the benefit of storage plus a professional cleaning.

I like that idea.

bhanks55
06-16-2010, 08:58 AM
straight off of defensivecarry.com
"Montana prohibits CC in banks"

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted
2. A bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution's normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:
a. using an institution's drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
b. at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution's financial services or is using the institution's financial services.
3. A room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
4. All buildings owned or leased by a local school district that are used for instruction or for student activities