PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Trophy Cam problems??????????

WesternNY
06-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Anyone else had problems with this cam, just taking pics at nothing and lots of them? I originally had sensor set on high, now on low same issue. Cam is currently in a Buckwheat plot.

BSK_
06-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Anyone else had problems with this cam, just taking pics at nothing and lots of them? I originally had sensor set on high, now on low same issue. Cam is currently in a Buckwheat plot.

This "runaway" trigger is a known problem with the Trophy Cam.

DeltaDog
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Dang, I hate to hear that. I just put one up a couple of days ago, and have another one ready to go. I "tested" the first one in my drive-way for 36 hours, and did get a few pics with nothing in them, but just figured they were of cars going kind of fast down the street... To make it worse, I put an 8 Gb card in it! :eek:

J.M.A.N.
06-05-2010, 01:28 PM
This "runaway" trigger is a known problem with the Trophy Cam. Only in the '10 models....Bushnell has recognized the problem and have been replacing defective units without hassle.

BSK_
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Only in the '10 models....Bushnell has recognized the problem and have been replacing defective units without hassle.

If you consider having to return a brand new camera not a "hassle"...

ohiodeerhunter21
06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Make sure the camera is facing away from the sunrise and sunset so the sun is not triggering the cam to set of. I usally face my camera to the north is possible to avoid the sun setting off the camera but you can also face the cam to the south.

wardy
06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
My buckwheat plot has tons of bees in it.Maybe the bugs are setting it off. I would try it in another spot and test it before sending it back. Wardy

whitetail fanatic
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
My '09 trophy cams take pics non stop if it is windy and they are facing tall grass and weeds which move in the wind and trip the trigger. Just have to be careful where you set them, otherwise they work great. But I just retrieved cards yesterday from my 2 trophy cams and one of them was in such an area and it filled over 1000 pics in a couple days of nothing more than moving weeds and it was sitting there useless for almost 2 weeks after that, I wasn't too happy but I keep learning where not to put them.

Question for everyone, would that be a problem with the better trail cams such as a good reconyx? Do those cameras have better sensors that would not trigger from moving weeds and only if an animal moves in front of it?

WesternNY
06-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I have the Cam facing north, well secured... it takes pics day and night.... so I doubt it's bees....... I will check the cam Wed, bring it in, test in the house for a few hours... and then may be try a new spot.

I will also contact Bushnell Wed and see what they have to say. I got it at Cabelas so return shouldn't be an issue.

Jeager
06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I have the Cam facing north, well secured... it takes pics day and night.... so I doubt it's bees....... I will check the cam Wed, bring it in, test in the house for a few hours... and then may be try a new spot.

I will also contact Bushnell Wed and see what they have to say. I got it at Cabelas so return shouldn't be an issue.

You might as well send it back. I had the very same issue with the 2010 Trophy Cam (basic model). When I inquired about the problem, I was informed by the vendor (trailcampro) that many folks had the very same issue. I returned it for the same model, which has been working great for over a month now.

maya
06-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Cabelas returns are 90 days now.

Alpha Doe
06-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Here is what we found the first time we checked our Reconxy RC60 last year after 1 week. :D

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu51/Imatreehugger/beddingareainmidJuly2009001.jpg

Yes thats right....10,317 pictures!

whitetail fanatic
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
quote: "Here is what we found the first time we checked our Reconxy RC60 last year after 1 week.....Yes thats right....10,317 pictures!"

AD, so were there a lot of blanks from moving weeds and grass, or something other than animals triggering the camera? Or was is mostly all pictures of animals? Do you get many blank pics with the reconyx or do they usuallly have live animals in them? thanks

Alpha Doe
06-06-2010, 10:17 PM
We had the camera set on the quickest trigger speed and some other adjustments had to be made. Basically we had pictures of deer. But, they were like several hundred pics of the same deer...each time it would make the slightest movement. Kinda like when they make a cartoon and flash through a bunch of still pictures to make a movie. :D Great cameras though, just need to adjust to your needs. Awesome battery life, great picture quality, super fast trigger speed. A little high priced.

BSK_
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
You get what you pay for! Reconyx cost more than other cams, but are worth every penny. Samething with the more expensive Buckeye cams.

Without question moving grass or tree limbs in the wind can cause a lot of false triggers. But a batch of 2010 Trophy Cams hit the market that have run-away trigger problems.

WesternNY
06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Called Cabelas today... no hassle return! Gotta Love it.

I also had to return a Moultire outfitter series... it didn't work at all. I have another that is fine, I got them for $99 each.

Returned the Bushnell trophy cam, and they are sending me 2 new Bushnell 8.0 MP and security brackets...... and I hope those don't have run away trigger. :D

JustinM
06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
pulled my sd card out of my trophy cam 2 days ago and had a bunch of blank pic, but it was because of high winds.

mallard_drake85
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Question for everyone, would that be a problem with the better trail cams such as a good reconyx? Do those cameras have better sensors that would not trigger from moving weeds and only if an animal moves in front of it?

This is not a matter of better sensors, rather site prep. Each time the PIR is broken, the camera will take a photograph. If you have weeds or a low hanging limbs in the view of your PIR, it will cause numerous false detections. This is not a faulty camera that should be sent back, rather take a few moments for some proper site prep of your trail cam and you will dramatically reduce, even eliminate this "run-away" triggering issues. Your cameras range will vary depending on brand, but for example if you have a cam with a 45' range, it is going to invariably trigger at approximately 50' or slightly further (thus the reason you get glowing eyes at night). However if you have tall weeds at 43', you're going to have alot of blank pictures, but if you knock the weeds down and trim the low hanging limbs you will not have this problem

mallard_drake85

WesternNY
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I can tell you that this camera had a run away trigger..... I have had cams for years... and certainly know and expect to have pics taken when an animal isn't in front of it.

Some cuddebacks years ago had the same issue. I just hope my replacement cams do not have the issue. I will test running them in the house before I put them in the field.

The house test... showed a runaway trigger with the returning Bushnell.

Jeager
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
This is not a matter of better sensors, rather site prep. Each time the PIR is broken, the camera will take a photograph. If you have weeds or a low hanging limbs in the view of your PIR, it will cause numerous false detections. This is not a faulty camera that should be sent back, rather take a few moments for some proper site prep of your trail cam and you will dramatically reduce, even eliminate this "run-away" triggering issues. Your cameras range will vary depending on brand, but for example if you have a cam with a 45' range, it is going to invariably trigger at approximately 50' or slightly further (thus the reason you get glowing eyes at night). However if you have tall weeds at 43', you're going to have alot of blank pictures, but if you knock the weeds down and trim the low hanging limbs you will not have this problem

mallard_drake85

Sorry but all of the site prep in the world isn't going to correct the issue with a certain batch of 2010 Bushnell Trophy Cams. It is a KNOWN PROBLEM.

I do agree that weeds, tree limbs etc. will cause false triggers, but this is a completely different issue with the 2010 BTC. I've got several trail cams including three 2009 BTC's none of which has ever had an issue of continuous picture taking. And as I've already mentioned, after returning the defective 2010 BTC, the replacement is working like it is supposed to.

whitetail fanatic
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
quote:"Originally Posted by whitetail fanatic

mallard_drake85"

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone, I knew the other guys were talking about a real problem with the cameras, the "runaway trigger" and I knew the problem I was having was not at all related becuase it was caused by the tall weeds blowing in the wind. I just wasn't sure if that was more of a problem with some cameras than others, but it sounds like all cameras will take lots of blanks if there is moving weeds and brush in the trigger area. Like you said, I know this problem can be fixed by clearing the weeds or brush, but usually I don't want to disturb the area that much when I put up a camera in a new spot.

BSK_
06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Like you said, I know this problem can be fixed by clearing the weeds or brush, but usually I don't want to disturb the area that much when I put up a camera in a new spot.

I wouldn't worry about "cleaning up" a camera set-up other than how much human scent you are laying down. When checking/moving cameras, I carry tools with me for use in trimming small branches and cutting tall grasses from in front of camera set-ups with no apparent ill affects. However, I am VERY careful about human scent.

BSK_
06-10-2010, 09:46 AM
This is not a matter of better sensors, rather site prep.

If you are suggesting there is no difference in PIR sensor quality/technology from one camera to another, I STRONGLY disagree with that comment. HUGE differences exist in sensor quality/technology between camera companies.

This is not a faulty camera that should be sent back, rather take a few moments for some proper site prep of your trail cam and you will dramatically reduce, even eliminate this "run-away" triggering issues.

As others have pointed out, the run-away trigger problem is a KNOWN, ADMITTED (by Trophy Cam) problem with a batch of the 2010 Trophy Cams.

dixie306
06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
mine was doing the same thing at a feeder, at long last I found out why, crows feeding on the ground and flapping around, got a pic of one by accident of one "bobbing" around in line with the camera

warningshot
06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
i picked up a 2010 trophy cam and in 4 hours it took 223 pic, 2 of animals the rest were garbage. site prep shouldn't have been an issue as i had trimmed all branches and no tall grass there and an 2009 bushnell tc and 1531 stealth cam had been there with very few blank shots, i tried to contact bushnell but no responses yet via email. setting was on normal and wouldn't want it any lower as it would stop taking pics if it got too cold out, frustrating to have a new camera not work out of the box also date and time stamps was only on a third of the pics ....we will see if they are able to make me happy again ,

smsmith
06-11-2010, 08:33 AM
I guess I'm lucky I got an '09 TC. I haven't had the runaway trigger problems (knock on wood). I will say that mine has nowhere near the battery life of my two Scoutguards. It's still good - probably 6 months or so - but I get a full year out of 8 AA's in my Scoutguards.

BSK_
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
For those who don't read chasingame's camera reviews, just a heads up about the 2010 Trophy Cam. It appears the company did not conduct adequate beta testing of their new 2010 camera model, as many problems made it into retail production. In my opinion, they are using retail buyers are their unknowing beta testers. Chasingame has run through numerous problems with 2010 model Trophy Cams. With each new reported problem Trophy Cam is making fixes to newer production models, but all of the older versions are still out there on retail shelves.

Now I'm by no means anti Trophy Cam. Last year's model was a good if not GREAT little cam and I expect this year's model--once they get all the bugs worked out--will be a good if not GREAT little cam, but "known problem" units are still out there in retail stock. Recent buyers are finding they received an older model with one of the known problems that has been fixed with the latest production models.

HunterDan
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Only in the '10 models....Bushnell has recognized the problem and have been replacing defective units without hassle.

So they fixed the problem and new ones should be ok?

J.M.A.N.
06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
So they fixed the problem and new ones should be ok?
I will say emphatically, "I don't know":D They were supposed to have fixed the problem and I do believe they have fixed the problem. I also do believe that some of the old ones are out there still in the system. I do know of a couple of cases where people had made purchases the '10 model and returned them promptly for this issue. The camera which replaced these worked excellent. These were local purchases so there was never any actual downtime....just the expense of gasoline.

DeltaDog
06-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, mine's just gonna have to run. I checked it Thursday, but didn't have a replacement card for it. It had been out 1 week, and had 418 pics on it...:rolleyes:
But, it has an 8 GB card in it, and it said "418/9999". I'll be gone for 2 months. If I get 500 pics a week, for 8 weeks, the card still won't be half full... I hope!:D
I also hope it gets a deer in there somewhere!

Gator
06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I just bought a new one as well. I got it from Gander Mountain of all places as we have a store locally. The store didn't have them a week ago and now they have them so hopefully these are the fixed '10 models. I just noticed this morning that Cabelas has the '09 5.0mp version for $149. Anybody have a reason not to get one of those for that price especially since the new model just enhances the 5.0mp image anyway??? Thanks,

BSK_
06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
No reason at all. The '09 models had a few problems, but so did just about every other cheaper brand of camera. As long as you get a working unit, the '09s were a great camera.

Gator
06-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Just ordered the '09 model for $149 and got the '10 model yesterday so I have two new cams to put out. Hopefully I won't need that 2 year warranty but it sure is comforting to have it.

deerlover
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
How do u tell if it is a 2010 model. I have three unopened I got in off season.....wonder which year they were made???

Jeager
06-21-2010, 11:03 PM
How do u tell if it is a 2010 model. I have three unopened I got in off season.....wonder which year they were made???

I don't believe the '10's was available until March, but not sure about that. The packaging looks almost identical, but the '10's will have "8 mega pixel" printed in the top right corner. The '10 model has 32 LED and the '09's have 24, which should be printed on the back of the package.

deerlover
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't believe the '10's was available until March, but not sure about that. The packaging looks almost identical, but the '10's will have "8 mega pixel" printed in the top right corner. The '10 model has 32 LED and the '09's have 24, which should be printed on the back of the package.

Thank you, I will check them out tonight!

WesternNY
06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
My new 2010's continue to work well with no issues! Great little cam!:D

WesternNY
06-22-2010, 08:33 PM
A pic from one of the cams......, the years first showdown!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/caposoprano/PICT0026.jpg

BSK_
06-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Great pic WesternNY.

WesternNY
06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks! This cam is one a metal stake that is too low. I need to extend it up and get the cam pointed up a bit.... but I love the camera!:D

BSK_
06-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks! This cam is one a metal stake that is too low. I need to extend it up and get the cam pointed up a bit.... but I love the camera!:D

As long as you get a working unit, they are GREAT little cams.

BSK_
06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
As a warning about the 2010 Bushnell Trophy Cam, over at Chasingame (the website that tests and reviews many models of trail-camera) they eventually gave up on the Trophy Cam for 2010. The final quote from their review is eye-opening:

"The shootout that was planned with this camera up against the Spypoint and Scoutguard cameras has been canceled because we just cant seem to keep a Bushnell Trophy camera running long enough to even complete a review."

J.M.A.N.
06-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah...I read that too but I think there are enough "good ones" out there to debunk this particular unbiased review. The last statement he made just seemed theatrical to me.

I have said all along that I love my 09 BTCs....and I do believe all the products produced after the runaway issue are good cameras just like last years.....but there are still some sitting out there in inventory that hasn't been recalled or have slipped through the cracks.

It shouldn't have happened in the first place.

mobuck
06-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah...I read that too but I think there are enough "good ones" out there to debunk this particular unbiased review. The last statement he made just seemed theatrical to me.

I have said all along that I love my 09 BTCs....and I do believe all the products produced after the runaway issue are good cameras just like last years.....but there are still some sitting out there in inventory that hasn't been recalled or have slipped through the cracks.

It shouldn't have happened in the first place.
I was looking for a word to explain Anthony's comments lately and Theatrical seems perfect. It's like he's trying to clear the way for the upcoming UWAY cam.:confused:

BSK_
06-26-2010, 10:22 AM
J.M.A.N.,

You're talking about the '09 camera. The 2010 camera is completely redesigned. They are experiencing many, many flaws with the 2010 redesign. Personally, I wouldn't buy one until they get all the bugs worked out of this new model. Now once they do, I'm sure it will be a good unit, as previous year's models have shown they can build a good camera.

But when people ask me what camera to get--and I get asked that a lot considering I with trail-cameras for a living--I tell them to steer clear of the Trophy Cams for now.

Marty Edwards
06-26-2010, 01:41 PM
And I told them I was interested in the 2010 BTC but I had heard from multiple sources/web sites that there was a known "runaway trigger" problem. The lady I spoke to insisted that there was no such problem...she had never heard of such a thing. After I asked her to escalate my inquiry and check a little further, she placed me on hold for a few minutes, returned and said there were a "very small number" of cameras that had some technical problems, but the liklihood of me actually getting one if I decided to purchase was "miniscule".

So...I ran out to Cabela's, used up some points and picked up a couple of the 8mp cams. I put them up side by side facing the same direction (in my front yard) and let them run for three days. I left the sensor on the factory "normal" setting, programmed the date and time, went through all the proper set up...yadda yadda.

I had over 1900 pics on each cam in three days, mostly of nothing...but did catch a few cars passing by and a few visitors to the house...but again, out of 1900+ pictures, 1800ish were of NOTHING. So after being all but guaranteed by Bushnell that I wouldn't get a malfunctioning camera, I did. Shame on me, I have been following this thread and should have known better. Shame on Bushnell for not telling the truth...now I guess I'll page back through this thread and look for any info I can find on where to return them, who to contact, how to get an RA# etc... Frustrated, and feel like they intentionally duped me...more than likely my last Bushnell purchase for a LOOOOONG time. They know they're doing us wrong. As an added problem with my particlar cameras, the date and time only appeared randomly on about 6 pics in the middle of the whole batch...weird.

J.M.A.N.
06-26-2010, 06:05 PM
J.M.A.N.,

You're talking about the '09 camera. The 2010 camera is completely redesigned. They are experiencing many, many flaws with the 2010 redesign. Personally, I wouldn't buy one until they get all the bugs worked out of this new model. Now once they do, I'm sure it will be a good unit, as previous year's models have shown they can build a good camera.

But when people ask me what camera to get--and I get asked that a lot considering I with trail-cameras for a living--I tell them to steer clear of the Trophy Cams for now.

Bryan....I agree they have had problems with the initial batches but supposed firmware upgrades have been made. I also agree that there are still some of those out there with problems...I have posted before that it is a 50/50 shot....I just think stating that all of them are junk is "theatrical". I love my 09 models and wouldn't consider buying a 10 model for myself right now. I also agree with you that somewhere in the future they will be the same camera they were before...Bushnell jumped the gun in releasing these beta types onto the market to begin with and Jack Yoder posted somewhere else of the ultimate fix to this problem but I don't seem to remember where....Jack...where r u?

Marty Edwards
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Mildred is sending me call tags to send my cameras back for repair. No expense to me. That's great. They are in Kansas City, I am in Omaha...about a three hour drive....she said I would receive the call tags in about a week...wow!

I asked to speak to someone on their tech side to ask for some insight into my particular problems both with the PIR and the date/time stamp. His name was Bruce, he was incredibly quippy and short and suggested that the problem may not be with the camera at all and that it could very well be a problem with the two new SDHC cards I put in them...seriously! I think rather than jack around with Bushnell, I'll just chalk it up to experience and take em back to the retailer (Cabela's) get my $ back and roll on. Congratulations to Bushnell and Bruce for pointing me in the right direction...away from Bushnell for life.

Gator
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I recently bought an '09 from Cabelas since they were on clearance for $149 and got a new '10 from my local Gander Mountain. Put both on the same tree, one over the top of the other, and had almost the exact pics from both cams. I did notice that the '10 model dropped the seconds from the time stamp but other than that (thankfully) don't see much difference. I would assume the '10 would have greater illumination but with them both taking pics at almost the same time, I couldn't tell a difference.

Sorry about others experiences. Keeping my fingers crossed though...

BSK_
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Bryan....I agree they have had problems with the initial batches but supposed firmware upgrades have been made. I also agree that there are still some of those out there with problems...I have posted before that it is a 50/50 shot....I just think stating that all of them are junk is "theatrical".

Oh, I certainly wouldn't claim they're all junk. But there's not a chance in Hades I would a take a "50/50" shot on getting a bad camera.

Now some users don't mind sending bad cameras back. Personally, I mind that very much. "Right out of the box" problems are absolutely unacceptable to me.

warningshot
06-29-2010, 01:25 PM
the upgraded cams show the seconds in the time frame they are suppposd to be fine

I recently bought an '09 from Cabelas since they were on clearance for $149 and got a new '10 from my local Gander Mountain. Put both on the same tree, one over the top of the other, and had almost the exact pics from both cams. I did notice that the '10 model dropped the seconds from the time stamp but other than that (thankfully) don't see much difference. I would assume the '10 would have greater illumination but with them both taking pics at almost the same time, I couldn't tell a difference.

Sorry about others experiences. Keeping my fingers crossed though...

WesternNY
06-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Marty, if I was you I would simply take them back to cabelas and get replacements and see how those go. Sounds like cabelas is in driving distance to you.

Every trail cam company has issues... just like every manufactured electronic device. Too bad the customer service wasn't better for you.

Good Luck

KYDeerSteward
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I would return to Cabelas too. I have not yet dealt with Bushnell, but I cannot say enough *GOOD* about Cabelas customer service!

Anybody had any problems with sensor distance on these? One of my 09 models I went to move the other day to a post about 25' from a pear tree and could not get motion detection. I ended up breaking the strap so now it's here (my fault). Anyway I just put fresh Engergizer Lith-Ion batteries in it and getting same results indoor as I was getting outdoor. Bright light 90s vs. low light 72 degrees. I am only getting about 15'. Book says average 45' and I know I was getting close to that new? In fact, my other one is on a utility pole about 150' from the road an occaissionally pics up cars going by!!!

WesternNY
07-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Jeep have you tried changing the sensor setting? I have not changed mine yet, no problems I can yet either. Night pics are not good IMO at all.

Day pics are awesome. I actually been thinking of sending my 2 back for a reconyx. I dunno though. I wanted to get away from flash cameras... but the night pic quality is so poor with IR.

Anyone have an opinion on the night IR pic quality with the Reconyx?

KYDeerSteward
07-17-2010, 07:29 AM
I did change the sensor to high. Gonna try it again anyway and try to get some more pics of this guy: http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=305955#post305955

kybuckhunter
07-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I bought a 2010 Bonecollector model and checked pics yesterday for the first time after a 2 week sit. I had it set on normal sensor/1 min delay and got 137 pics on a foodplot. I would guesstimate that 90% were legitimate pics. The daytime pics were awesome but the night pics left something to be desired. Namely they were a little blurry like a slow trigger speed. I'm still trying to get used to the black and white night pics after years of white flash too. I'm holding off on making a judgement on the night pics though since I had placed some cedar branches near the camera to camo it and somehow one worked its way to partially cover the flash leds.

WesternNY
07-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I did change the sensor to high. Gonna try it again anyway and try to get some more pics of this guy: http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=305955#post305955

NICE ONE THERE!

BSK_
07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Every trail cam company has issues... just like every manufactured electronic device.

Not every one, but certainly all the cheap camera companies.

Jeager
07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Not according to foodplotdude! :D He was honest enough to tell us one of the "high end" cams do in fact have issues..............:p

WesternNY
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Not every one, but certainly all the cheap camera companies.

You are telling me some electronics, specifically trail cams dont have issues and have a 100% track record. Come on, I don't care how much you pay for the cadillacs of trail cams.. there must be some issues.

BSK_
07-18-2010, 09:42 AM
You are telling me some electronics, specifically trail cams dont have issues and have a 100% track record. Come on, I don't care how much you pay for the cadillacs of trail cams.. there must be some issues.

Oh, a few do get returned or have problems. But not at the same rate as the cheaper cams. Those "in the know" tell me the cheaper cams generally see a 30% first-year failure rate. The top-end cams have first-year failure rates well below 5%.

WesternNY
07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh, a few do get returned or have problems. But not at the same rate as the cheaper cams. Those "in the know" tell me the cheaper cams generally see a 30% first-year failure rate. The top-end cams have first-year failure rates well below 5%.

OK we can agree! :D

I work with a 1.8 million dollar piece of equipment at work daily in an operating room, and I can tell you "it" even has problems!

BSK_
07-18-2010, 07:20 PM
OK we can agree! :D

I work with a 1.8 million dollar piece of equipment at work daily in an operating room, and I can tell you "it" even has problems!

And the higher tech something is, the more problems it usually has. I can tell horror stories about a 3,500 sq. ft. mainframe computer system I used to run for the Census Bureau, and I promise you it cost more than 1.8 million!! ;)

WesternNY
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Here are 3 examples of the poor quality pics from the bushnell. It is in my clover plot. I haven't given up completely on them yet. I moved my 2 cams to better spots, facing true north. I will give it a week or 2 before returning them.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/caposoprano/PICT0024.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/caposoprano/PICT0015.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/caposoprano/PICT0034.jpg

WesternNY
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I forgot to mention.... condensation tends to build up on the outer clear lens of the LED's.... I am sure this must degrade the night time IR's ability.

May be some rainx would help??????? :D

WesternNY
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
:eek:

I read some info on IR technology. Apparently it needs something in the background to reflect the light back to the cam, so IR cams do not work as well in an open plot than say a wooded deer trail. So that could be some of the poor pic wuality at night I am having.

splitG2
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
boy that clover plot looks great!

deerlover
07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
What in the heck are you looking at? Those are not poor quality pictures son!

yoderj@cox.net
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I think he is referring to the poor illumination and tunnel effect.

foodplotdude
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Not according to foodplotdude! :D He was honest enough to tell us one of the "high end" cams do in fact have issues..............:p

Indeed. As a Reconyx dealer I can tell you that I have had to return cameras. But not at the rate of lower end cameras. But then again, I dont sell the Reconyx cameras nearly at the rate as I do the lower end units.

Having said that, nothing is bullet proof. And I mean nothing. I can remember buying a $900 Mathews bow and the limbs snapped on day 3. But they took care of it. For me, it is about the customer service you get for anything you purchase.

I also would like to add that the entire functionality of Reconyx-from the factory, to the front office to their customer service............it is top friggin notch!! Covert is number 2!!

MDuffy
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I can remember buying a $900 Mathews bow and the limbs snapped on day 3.

So your failure rate on a Mathews bow is 100%?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WesternNY
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
What in the heck are you looking at? Those are not poor quality pictures son!

LOL :D The first pic the deer isnt in focus, second pic is fine, but it is 9pm ish and middle of summer, second pic is very dark IMO. I have examples that are better, but wanted to show the time changes and pic quality that follows.

BSK_
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
More updates from chasingame.com on the continuing problems Bushnell is having with their 2010 Trophy Cam. It looks like changes they made to fix earlier problems are causing new problems:

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=170

Caveman
07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I can say that foodplotdude touched on a real good point in that the ratio of returns can be skewed. Expensive cams sell less but are higher quality and visa-versa...

Of the "CHEAP" cams, I have used many and actually have to say that Wildview was my simple camera of choice. I bought a handfull for 60-99 bucks. I returned a few in the beginning but then gave up and started my way up the dollar value. Stealthcams will NEVER be in my stock again. BTC's are fantastic in my book (not counting the Toyota-esk folly that is costing their reputation and wallets) but I would hesitate to buy a 2010 unit. Scoutcams have been good but the only one I have had I wouldn't have again but some of my friends swear by them. I don't have the money for a Cuddy or Recon but have seen instances that folks haven't been happy for the money.

In the end, if you can afford high quality, get after it!
If you want 6-8 cameras, my bet is we will pick middle of the road.
IF I go on public land, it Wildview all day long!

Just my 2 cents

yoderj@cox.net
07-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Caveman,

Funny :D

I really enjoy your strong opinions on Wildview and Stealth.

Check out these links:

http://wildviewcam.com/contact.html (http://wildviewcam.com/contact.html)

http://www.stealthcam.net/support_contact.html

Notice that although the PO boxes are different, the town and the zip are the same. Then check this link out:

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/

Yep! They are both brand names of GSM.

And they sure are Good at Sportsman Marketing :D

Thanks,

jack

WesternNY
07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Update: I returned them to cabelas. I just didn't like the IR abilities, and they wouldnt work for my plot cams given the setup.

I am going to try some flash cuddeback capture and see how they fair.

BSK_
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
I am going to try some flash cuddeback capture and see how they fair.

I hope you have better results than most of those I know who have tried those cameras!

WesternNY
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Thats just it..... it is hard to get solid feedback on cams.... everyone has + and -. I learned I dont like IR, except for my reconyx... that cam is sweet!

BSK,. what cams do you like?

Caveman
08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Yoder, that is great investigative info!

BSK_
08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats just it..... it is hard to get solid feedback on cams.... everyone has + and -. I learned I dont like IR, except for my reconyx... that cam is sweet!

BSK,. what cams do you like?

Super-cheap cams: the WGI series, especially the IR4.

Mid-range price: DLC Covert and HCO ScoutGuard series, especially the 2010 SG560 (much improved image quality).

I have high hopes for the new Uway cameras (in the $250-$350 range), but they haven't seen enough testing to know for sure.

At the top-end, I like Reconyx, especially their black-flash cams.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about anything made by Cuddeback, Moultrie or Stealth.