PDA

View Full Version : Clover under walnut trees

Tap
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
I've read here many times about how not much can grow under walnut trees. I just checked some clover/chicory that was planted last year under 2 large walnut trees. The growth is fine and is as good as the clover 100 feet away. Is anyone else having success growing plots around walnut?

letemgrow
05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Clover can be grown around walnuts and some plantations use it for a double crop or to provide nitrogen to the walnut trees themselves. Several other things cannot, apples, tomatoes, etc.

ureyes
05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I've had a rough time growing clover under walnuts. There were several medium and large trees around the edges of my clover plots. In every area that there was an over hanging branch the clover died. It initially germinated but didn't last long.

I took them all down this past winter and tried to get clover established in the bare spots this spring. Again it failed to grow. Will probably have to let the soil purge itself.

Also the clover died in any area that woods chips built up when sawing the trees this winter.

It did grow around the trees just not underneath them.

Tap
05-19-2010, 06:36 AM
I've had a rough time growing clover under walnuts. There were several medium and large trees around the edges of my clover plots. In every area that there was an over hanging branch the clover died. It initially germinated but didn't last long.

I took them all down this past winter and tried to get clover established in the bare spots this spring. Again it failed to grow. Will probably have to let the soil purge itself.

Also the clover died in any area that woods chips built up when sawing the trees this winter.

It did grow around the trees just not underneath them.

Hmmm,
These are mature walnut trees... 20"-24" DBH. And well within the drip-line, the clover is thick and almost ready to be mowed. The chicory is pretty healthy, too. I wonder why your success is different than mine.

smsmith
05-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Hmmm,
These are mature walnut trees... 20"-24" DBH. And well within the drip-line, the clover is thick and almost ready to be mowed. The chicory is pretty healthy, too. I wonder why your success is different than mine.

Juglone is a very interesting thing. Just as you've pointed out, one guy can have success growing something under them and another can't. I've done buttloads of reading on this subject and it appears that soil plays a huge role. If your soil drains quickly (i.e. coarse texture) and has some slope to it, the chances of juglone affecting other plants is less than if you have fine textured soil (clay/silt) that is relatively flat.

I've been able to get a decent catch of clover under my walnut trees. I cannot get a large list of other things to grow under them however.

This page shows alfalfa and crimson clover (among many others) as being sensitive to juglone
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-193.pdf
This page says red clover is not only tolerant of juglone, but does better under walnuts
http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3182.pdf
This page lists white clover as being tolerant of juglone
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_walnut_toxicity.htm

If a person keeps searching, you can find one page that says a particular plant is tolerant and another page listing that same plant as being resistant.

DJ"S Plot
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey Tom......No problem with my clover growing out back under those walnuts. Killed my crab apples that I planted couple years ago before I was aware of the toxic ground!

murphy
08-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I am concerned about planting shrubs under some very old walnuts. Does anyone have any idea why certain things may be tolerant or not of juglone? If I can somehow figure out certain types that will grow under them, I can adjust plantings accordingly. I would cut them, but they are on the property line.

thoughts?

smsmith
08-08-2010, 08:19 AM
murphy - the problem with juglone is that it doesn't effect other growing things "equally". Some lists of juglone resistant trees will list a species as being tolerant and others will say is is intolerant. My best advice is to only plant things that are always listed as tolerant on every list you can find.

What are you wanting to plant?

THE, LLC
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Mulaine and thistle grow good under walnuts, too. :D

letemgrow
08-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Most clovers will do fine under walnuts and some plantations use that as a second crop while growing the walnuts.

smsmith
08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Most clovers will do fine under walnuts and some plantations use that as a second crop while growing the walnuts.

yep, just not crimson clover.

murphy
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I will be planting a mixture of sawtooth oaks, virginia pine, eastern red cedar, American plum, elderberry, silky dogwoods, and maybe some southern crabapple. If anyone sees some of these that they know will do well, please let me know. The planting is going to cover a 2.4 acre field, so I can easily plant only the kinds that are unaffected around the walnuts.

Thanks

USFWC
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I am concerned about planting shrubs under some very old walnuts. Does anyone have any idea why certain things may be tolerant or not of juglone? If I can somehow figure out certain types that will grow under them, I can adjust plantings accordingly. I would cut them, but they are on the property line.

thoughts?

I believe the plants that tend to be resistant to Juglone are generally considered to be 'less evolved' than plants that are not resistant to it because they lack the ability to break down the Juglone to the point where it becomes toxic to the individual plant species. My guess is that places where clovers cannot be established around walnuts are places that have had plant species break it down to where it is toxic to the clover. When it is taken up by the clover plants in that form, I would expect inhibited growth or dieoff.