PDA

View Full Version : Help.

kraubrey
05-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I am looking for a little guidance on what to plant and when. Our property is in northern WI with some surrounding farmland. In the past we have planted clover and turnips...had good luck with the turnips, so so with the clover (Biologic and Imperial).

I would like to plant a spring/ summer plot now to bowhunt over, and then plant another plot in late fall. The surrounding farmers are planting corn this year. I would like to utilize oats and or alfalfa, clover and possibly one other crop. What should I plant in spring and what should I plant in fall?

Will I have any luck if I plant everything in spring or do I need to wait?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Luv2hunteup
05-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Here's a link to some northern food plotters that may provide additional info that you may find helpful. Over 900 thread and 6000 posts.

Michigan Habitat Forums (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)

dogdoc
05-19-2004, 09:53 PM
welcome to the forum! You might check out one of the Hamann Farms blends--they are also located in wisconsin. The reason I suggested them is you mentioned that you wanted to try alfalfa--I am a big fan of trefoil--it is very similiar nutritionally to alfalfa--even looks like it--but much easier to grow. It is not near as picky as alfalfa on soil conditions. They offer a blend called Trefoil Trophy Rack Grower---it has 2 types of trefoil and 3 types of clover--might be the ticket you are looking for. He also has a new fall/winter annual that contains rape, turnips, sugar beats, and a forage brassica. Their website will have the recommended planting dates:
Hamann Farms (http://www.hamannfarms.com)

Oats are also a nice attraction--you could plant them late summer but you will loose them with your first freeze--here in Oklahoma they will last up to November (usually) probably not near as long in northern wisconsin. You could plant wheat/rye or triticale with your oats to give you something green all winter--but it sure is hard to beat the brassicas/turnips/rape for a winter crop.

best of luck
todd

VaArcher
05-19-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure when your deer season starts up there, but I always like to plant my wheat here in Va. about 30 days before our bowseason starts around Oct. 5th. I also never plant clover other than in the fall. I planted oats last year and the deer never touched them until around the third week in November. Then they fed on them until there was nothing left (1/2 acre plot) . The wheat will sprout with your first rain and the deer will love it. The clover, if you plant at the same time as your wheat, will also be tall enough for the deer to eat, and will be a good draw until it turns really cold, then it will go dormant. My wheat here stays green all winter. Good luck bro