PDA

View Full Version : Small low light food plots

BMU92
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Ok guys i am wondering what all of you have used for these types of food plots(seed that is). I have a corn field about 75 yards away from one of my plots and there is an alfalfa field on the other side of that so those two food sources are covered. I planted some clover, turnips, winter wheat, and rape in that plot last year and it grew ok but the deer still preferred the other two crops. I am looking for something that the deer might crave more?

If you have any pictures that would be great.:D

Oh and the plot is about 1/4 to 1/2 acre.

Diesel40
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I think you will have a hard time competing with those particular food sources, but i would try a fall plot of red clover and rye. They seem to do good in lower light areas.

markfix
05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I like the mix of rye,winter peas and white clover.My woods plots get 5 hours of sun so i'm gonna throw in a smattering of soys all planted in august.Knowing that they are gonna get hammered anyhow.

Ben MN
05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Brassicas with nitrogen!! I have alot of small properties to hunt that arent mine, I have permission to plot almost all of them but the problem is all the decent open areas are planted in ag land crops, for this I have found Brassicas, mainly rapes work well with decent soil and plenty of food. I seed them as early as possible and fertilize ofter to get max growth and tonage out of these areas as they only receive filtered light. Being that you wont see huge growth rates in the woods makes rape a great option as the deer will leave it alone during the summer when your not hunting. I dont think you will be able to find any thing that the deer will like more than your existing food sources, but rapes after a cold snap arer like candy, and the security provide by the woods should put a few deer in you plot during the fall daylight hours.good luck my pic sux as I an better a plotting than computers , but it gives you n idea of the light levels, first pic is in late may and next pic is in early october, growth rates will vary due to "hot spots" of light, the hammered it hard, chewed stems to ground.

Ben MN
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
second pic wont work dispite being shrunk to 145

Diesel40
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Brassicas with nitrogen!! I have alot of small properties to hunt that arent mine, I have permission to plot almost all of them but the problem is all the decent open areas are planted in ag land crops, for this I have found Brassicas, mainly rapes work well with decent soil and plenty of food. I seed them as early as possible and fertilize ofter to get max growth and tonage out of these areas as they only receive filtered light. Being that you wont see huge growth rates in the woods makes rape a great option as the deer will leave it alone during the summer when your not hunting. I dont think you will be able to find any thing that the deer will like more than your existing food sources, but rapes after a cold snap arer like candy, and the security provide by the woods should put a few deer in you plot during the fall daylight hours.good luck my pic sux as I an better a plotting than computers , but it gives you n idea of the light levels, first pic is in late may and next pic is in early october, growth rates will vary due to "hot spots" of light, the hammered it hard, chewed stems to ground.

How small of plots are you doing with the brassicas?

winterquartersmgr
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Just a thought but what about letting your field becoming fallow? I am just saying that if you have all that food on both sides if you, give your deer something that they may not have? I realize that you are asking about what to plant and didn't say what your property has on it. I have harvested a lot of deer in these old grown up fields with ag crops all around them. Just my 2 cents.

BigBuck
05-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I would try WW/oats mix. Planted Sep.1-15th. Maybe throw in some AWP too.
Deer by me will eats greens as long as they can, then go to corn. Once the Alfalfa is dorment, your plot should shine.
My deer will not eat brassicas....at all.
I'm near Mauston Wi.

BMU92
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Ya my deer really didn't care for the brassicas either. I had some winter wheat in my plot last year and it didn't look like they touched it much. Has anybody tried the biologic Lab Lab seed?? If so whats in it and will it grow in the lower light?

Ben MN
05-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I have some small plots planted in lab lab 1/6th to 1/2 acre, never planted it before just got the seeds in yesterday, now snow today, gotta love Minnesota! If you have never planted brassicas before that could be the reason the didnt hit it, it took my deer 2 seasons to hit it hard now its gone in eeks after the cold snap. All my plots range from 1/7 acre to 1/2 acre, some are directly next to each other that why they are so small, I have planter grains 3 years running on farms all across the state and never had deer hit them for more than 2 weeks before stopping. I dont think lablab will thrive enough in low light to give you enough tonnage to draw the deer. I will know shortly I will post pics of them as the season gets going. Gotta stop snowing first!

maf.knf
05-08-2010, 01:13 AM
so brassicas work well in low light? Curious, because I have a food plot I would like to plant in a well shaded area that might get 3 hours of sunlight. I planted some seed last year that was about a year old and it didnt do too well. I think it was some Full Draw, but anyways im curious about shaded food plots myself

sorry if i jacked.

Mike

BigBuck
05-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Lab Lab will freeze out at first frost. Plus, it may get browesed to death early in the seedling stage if planted in a small plot.
I still would recommend the WW/oats mix.
You could try some forage radishes, I'll be trying them as a last brassica try this fall. I;ll be putting them in in mid Aug., just before a decent rain.
I have tryed ALL brassicas over 3 years, my deer will not touch'em.
Deer in certain parts of WI. are VERY picky what they will eat...too much to choose from I guess.
BTW, I too compete with alfalfa and corn and soybeans.
So far, plain old white clover is the best draw. They will come eat my Sunflowers too.(summer time)
Once the alfalfa and soybeans are done (around bow openner), my clover and ww/oats plots get hit hard. Perfect timing!!:p

Ben MN
05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
so brassicas work well in low light? Curious, because I have a food plot I would like to plant in a well shaded area that might get 3 hours of sunlight.

Mike
They will go but it takes all summer, I seed in the spring, problem with my areas is in low light nothing can grow fast enough to handle the browsing pressure. Brassicas get left alone long enough to grow some weight, most of my plots in the woods are kill plots not food plots, there is enough food around for them to eat, I want something to be left their when I come in to hunt mid fall.Again Im surrounded by ag land so things are different when it comes to quatily of avalible food sources all summer long. My clover plots are lip high by mid october, which is prefect as I dont hunt them.

BMU92
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Lab Lab will freeze out at first frost. Plus, it may get browesed to death early in the seedling stage if planted in a small plot.
I still would recommend the WW/oats mix.
You could try some forage radishes, I'll be trying them as a last brassica try this fall. I;ll be putting them in in mid Aug., just before a decent rain.
I have tryed ALL brassicas over 3 years, my deer will not touch'em.
Deer in certain parts of WI. are VERY picky what they will eat...too much to choose from I guess.
BTW, I too compete with alfalfa and corn and soybeans.
So far, plain old white clover is the best draw. They will come eat my Sunflowers too.(summer time)
Once the alfalfa and soybeans are done (around bow openner), my clover and ww/oats plots get hit hard. Perfect timing!!:p

You say that your white clover gets hit hard after the alfalfa and soybeans are done but doesn't alfalfa and clover lose their attractiveness to deer at the same time??? Another thing is when do you plant your ww/oats in order for the deer to hit them hard during the bow season??

BigBuck
05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Clover will stay green threw gun season. Most alfalfas will be long gone by then. Soybeans will be long done too, unless left standing.
WW/Oats planted Sep.1 will germinate in 10 days, instant attraction!
How far up are you in WI.?
If your North of Hwy 8, I would plant the WW/oats about Aug.15th.

padeerwhacker
05-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I planted some biologics lablab last year in my 1 acre woods plot which gets moderate light. It grow really good, it got about 4-5 ft tall, but the deer really hit it that much. Ill b planting soybeans cause the deer hammer those.