PDA

View Full Version : Removing dryed hide from deer skull

widow maker 2
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi, anyone know of a quick and easy was to remove old dried deer hide from a skull that you plan to mount on a bd? In the past I just soak in water and then widdle away with a knive but thought there must be an easier way. Please help ??

npaden
04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
The only easier way that I know of is to remove the hide when it is fresh.

I've seen this question posted before on other forums and never seen anyone post a way that seemed to be any kind of a shortcut. My only advice is to breath through your mouth.

asmith
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Tie the rack down to something stable so that you have both hands free, work the knife under an edge so as to get enough skin to get hold of it with vise grips, then the skin can be kept lifted up and tight as you work the knife to cut away.
Still not easy.

E_308
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Rap the antler in cling wrap then in duct tape to keep from loosing color. If the teeth are loose enough to come out remove them. If not build a box out of screen or hardware wire large enough for the skull to fit in. Put this in the nearest pond for about a week or two. The biggest wire you can get and not loss teeth would be best, to let in crawdads and such. You will be surprised how much work they get done in a week.

oneshotbrowing5
04-19-2010, 08:58 PM
i will cut the head off, then take a new box blade knife and cut from the tope of the head all the way to the nose. once you have your line cut on the head just start cutting and pealling the skin away from the bone. after you get your skin off the deer head i put it in boiling water, checking it every few min to peal away the meat. hope this help!
this only takes me about 45mins too and hour

ureyes
04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Cook it. Cook it all.

Flesh removes alot easier after its been boiled. :eek:

Mustard
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
i've never tried it myself, but i've heard people putting the head on a big ant mound. the ants will do the work.

BSK_
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
i've never tried it myself, but i've heard people putting the head on a big ant mound. the ants will do the work.

Not if the hide is already dried. It needs to go right from the freezer to the dirt if you plan to use insects to clean the skull.

M.Magis
04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow, everyone is really over thinking this. Soak it in a bucket of water for a few days.

BSK_
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Wow, everyone is really over thinking this. Soak it in a bucket of water for a few days.

That's what I do. But plyers/grips are usually still required.

M.Magis
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
That's what I do. But plyers/grips are usually still required.

Youíre right, I should have mentioned that. Even when Iím caping out a fresh head, it still requires some tools. I usually use a screw driver and a scalpel or knife. Pliers help when just doing a skull cap.

Thump1
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
It was a good morning at work so I will throw out "how about a fork and some salt & pepper"?:D

One more vote for boil & peel.

Fightin_Aggiecorps
04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
This is something I deal with fairly often. Your easiest solution is to pull out your ole' shrimp boiler and metal pot or something that you dont mind getting nasty. You will want to boil the skull and then the skin should come right off. Works even better if you have a sharp knife or scalpel to encourage it. After that it will be easy to remove any leftover fat with a pocket knife.

But do not let the horns get in the water! If you really want your project to look nice, you will want to keep the horns out of the water because the fats in the skull will dissolve in the water and stain the bases of your antlers if they fall in. Good luck!

stubblebum
04-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Never tried it myself, but have read about people using pressure washers. I seem to remember looking at a website for european skull mounts that had separate prices for "pressure washer cleaned" and "dermestid beetle" cleaning of skulls.
I would use google to research some more before I tried it if it meant much to me. It seems like a pressure washer could do some damage to parts of a skull if you didn't do it right.