PDA

View Full Version : How soon can a new apple leaf be sprayed?

brushpile
04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Cedar Apple Rust spores are in the air now. My crabapples are getting leaves, and my other apples will soon follow. How soon can fresh new growth be sprayed? I would like to spray now, but am afraid the spray might damage the leaves.:confused:

DeerHuntingFool
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Most spray programs start at green tip (not counting the dormant spray), so you are OK to start now. However, if you are only spraying for cedar apple rust, those sprays don't come until about a week after 1/2" green. If you are concerned about scab, start your sprays soon.

brushpile
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Most spray programs start at green tip (not counting the dormant spray), so you are OK to start now. However, if you are only spraying for cedar apple rust, those sprays don't come until about a week after 1/2" green. If you are concerned about scab, start your sprays soon.

Dormant spray?:confused:

I'm spraying primarily for Cedar Apple Rust, thanks for the timing on that. Last year my trees had Cedar Apple Rust in April or early May. By the time I started spraying the damage was done.

If I spray at half leaf, when do I spray again, for how often, and for how long?

DeerHuntingFool
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Dormant spray is just a spray oil (horticultural oil) applied while the tree is still dormant. It is for scale insects.

Use myclobutanil for cedar apple rust (Nova or Immunox). Apply it at pink, petal fall, and 14 days after petal fall--3 applications total. If cedar apple rust is your only concern, then you are done for the season.

Dormant spray?:confused:

I'm spraying primarily for Cedar Apple Rust, thanks for the timing on that. Last year my trees had Cedar Apple Rust in April or early May. By the time I started spraying the damage was done.

If I spray at half leaf, when do I spray again, for how often, and for how long?

brushpile
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Dormant spray is just a spray oil (horticultural oil) applied while the tree is still dormant. It is for scale insects.

Use myclobutanil for cedar apple rust (Nova or Immunox). Apply it at pink, petal fall, and 14 days after petal fall--3 applications total. If cedar apple rust is your only concern, then you are done for the season.

Thanks, but what about half leaf, or will that be 14 days after petal fall?

scrimshaw33
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Brush, here's what I went with: it's supposed to be an all around insect and fungal pesticide/herbicide...http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-202-Fruit-Tree-Spray/dp/B000FDZE8U. You're supposed to spray every 2 weeks through the growing season except during bloom.

I'll probably do something different since I have so many trees so that it will be more cost effective, but for now this will cover most major fungal disease.

qdmohio
04-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks, but what about half leaf, or will that be 14 days after petal fall?

Brushpile, check out the following link to see pictures of all the different apple tree growth stages from dormant until harvest time. Great link, I reference it all the time. My guess is that trees in your area are probably already at the "pink" stage, but that's just a guess. Here, I have quite a few buds at 1/2" green on some trees, but I only have green tip on other trees.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/fruit/applgrw.htm

buckdeer1
04-01-2010, 03:08 PM
What about if they aren't old enough to bloom

doctorbrady
04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
BP,

I already started spraying mine with Immunox. I spray at green tip then every 7-10 days until around petal fall. Mine got their first spray last Sunday. Shouldn't spray more than 10 times is what I've read.

Manimal
04-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Brushpile, check out the following link to see pictures of all the different apple tree growth stages from dormant until harvest time. Great link, I reference it all the time. My guess is that trees in your area are probably already at the "pink" stage, but that's just a guess. Here, I have quite a few buds at 1/2" green on some trees, but I only have green tip on other trees.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/fruit/applgrw.htm

Great link and info - just started to plant apple trees and was reading posts and this is really helpful

doctorbrady
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Here's another great link. I may be the same one..I didn't look at the other :rolleyes: .

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/KEARNEYSVILLE/wvufarm8.html

Bnhpr
04-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Cedar Apple Rust spores are in the air now. My crabapples are getting leaves, and my other apples will soon follow. How soon can fresh new growth be sprayed? I would like to spray now, but am afraid the spray might damage the leaves.:confused:

any time................

brushpile
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks to all, for the very helpful info!