PDA

View Full Version : Which Seed Spreader for ATV

mwf19788
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a cone type spreader for my tractor but it's hard to control when spreading clover seeds. I'd like to get a spreader that I could mount on my ATV.

I looking for advice on which one would work best. There are so many on the market. I'd like to keep the cost under $250.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alpha Doe
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
We have the Agri-Fab pull behind I think it holds 175 lbs. We like it and have used it quite a bit. We have used it for seeds such as switchgrass, brassicas, clover, corn, beans, peletized lime and urea. We just bought an Agri-Fab push spreader this weekend and didn't have good luck with it...took it back the same night. :)

tyler0421
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I dont know how much clover you plan on spreading but i would just get a little hand spreader.

Tioga Tines
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I have about 2 to 3 acres in clover and have planted all of it with an Earthway 3100 hand crank spreader. The 3100 has a ridgid hopper and shoulder straps and does a great job metering very small seed such as clover.

Additionally, I have used my Earthway M30 spreader that mounts to an ATV for spreading larger seed such as Cerial Rye, Buckwheat, etc. I like both spreaders alot and have no problem suggesting them as good gear. Both can be viewed on the Earthway website.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

CaveCreek
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
There are some existing, very lengthy posts on this subject. Try the search button on the top menu. I have been impressed with my herd seeder, but it is a bit out of your price limit. Really its a lot of money if you have few acres to plant. Lots of people like the newermoultrie spreaders. Not the ones that look like a small plastic barrel. Those are really for dispersing corn, not seed. Anyhow, these are definately more affordable.

loderup
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I would seriously consider using a hand spreader. If you cannot get around good, hire a kid to come out and help. The only way to guarantee proper coverage and NOT waste seed is to hand spread or plant with a metering system.

I hand spread up to 5 acres. If they want planted more than that then I hire in the NRCS office drill and plant it. It only takes me 30 mins to plant 5 acres by hand and I get a nice work out. This way you can average your seed and if need be go back over it to get optimum coverage.

Just my thoughts. You will not like any spreader for clover or any other small seed for that matter.

Roger
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I just used my Herd Seeder for the first time to frost seed clover last week. You can meter this thing down to 1lb of clover per acre if you want to. The vibrating agitator kept the clover flowing well. It is a heavy duty, real piece of farm equipment that is used commercially. Check out the front page of the publication put out by the Tennessee Farmers Coop "Tennessee Cooperator" this month. The herd seeder is used by people who farm for a living.

http://www.ourcoop.com/include/images/cooperator/105cooperator.pdf

BassBoysLLP
03-02-2010, 09:21 PM
An ATV spreader is fine for fertilizer or pelletized lime. I'd go with the SOLO chest spreader for seed; especially when dealing with the smaller seeds. Most will agree the SOLO spreader is great.

CaveCreek
03-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I would seriously consider using a hand spreader. If you cannot get around good, hire a kid to come out and help. The only way to guarantee proper coverage and NOT waste seed is to hand spread or plant with a metering system.

I hand spread up to 5 acres. If they want planted more than that then I hire in the NRCS office drill and plant it. It only takes me 30 mins to plant 5 acres by hand and I get a nice work out. This way you can average your seed and if need be go back over it to get optimum coverage.

Just my thoughts. You will not like any spreader for clover or any other small seed for that matter.

I have to emphasize that there a few spreaders out there that do a good job at spreading clover and other small seed. The herd seeder is one of these. I have one and it has proven itself.

I don't disagree with the idea of using a hand spreader, I have done my share. Do I prefer it, absolutely not. I get enough exercise as it is. I find that when people get tired of walkin the field, they are more apt to get in a hurry to empty the seed so they can quit walking. Ends up in some interesting planting.

Loderup, You must be one ambitious fellow if you get 5 acres seeded in 30 minutes by hand. Props to you. Do you run or have you a spreader that launches seed 80 ft??:p

FYI - If you used the Herd you would be impressed. That's not to say you'd by one, but it does do the job. And with it, I can easily see my tracks form the vehicle for proper spacing and I can meter half out across the field and then cross-section my pattern for an even better coverage with the other half.

I personally find it easier to meter this way. I can set the opening as small as will allow seed out and even make four passes if I'm worried about my rate being off. And on an atv - you can cover the same ground 20 times and still finish before hand seeder would.

FYI - the width of spread on the Herd is awsome. 30 ft to either side (easy) with some seed. There's actually farmer's who put out their small seeded cover crops with these things. On back of an atv its faster and more affordable than running their 200 hp tractor with an expensive drill with a small seed attachment.

foggy
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I have to emphasize that there a few spreaders out there that do a good job at spreading clover and other small seed. The herd seeder is one of these. I have one and it has proven itself.

I don't disagree with the idea of using a hand spreader, I have done my share. Do I prefer it, absolutely not. I get enough exercise as it is. I find that when people get tired of walkin the field, they are more apt to get in a hurry to empty the seed so they can quit walking. Ends up in some interesting planting.

Loderup, You must be one ambitious fellow if you get 5 acres seeded in 30 minutes by hand. Props to you. Do you run or have you a spreader that launches seed 80 ft??:p

FYI - If you used the Herd you would be impressed. That's not to say you'd by one, but it does do the job. And with it, I can easily see my tracks form the vehicle for proper spacing and I can meter half out across the field and then cross-section my pattern for an even better coverage with the other half.

I personally find it easier to meter this way. I can set the opening as small as will allow seed out and even make four passes if I'm worried about my rate being off. And on an atv - you can cover the same ground 20 times and still finish before hand seeder would.

FYI - the width of spread on the Herd is awsome. 30 ft to either side (easy) with some seed. There's actually farmer's who put out their small seeded cover crops with these things. On back of an atv its faster and more affordable than running their 200 hp tractor with an expensive drill with a small seed attachment.

Great Report!! Thanks!!

I have considered getting one of these....and have a few questions. Do you use the rheostat to determine how far you are throwing the seed? Can you nicely regulate the width? Could this be mounted on the front racks instead of the rear? (seems easier to keep an eye on things with front mounted). Do you also use your ATV-Herd for fertilizer?

widerack60
03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I just bought a herd seeder for my atv,ordered in monday morning and it was at my house tuesday. Not cheap ,but this thing looks like it should last forever. I used it a couple weeks ago for some SG and was very happy with it .Might be a little more money ,but worth it IMO. The people at Herd said I probably wouldn't need reostat unless I was going to be spreading sand or salt.I was thinking I would want to slow it down for smaller plots , but if there that small i'll just use my hand seeder.

widerack60

Marty Edwards
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
http://herdseederco.onelesslogin.com/gt77_atv_seeder

Pretty nice looking little unit

Roger
03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I paid $300 for mine at Southern States COOP. It is easy to keep an eye on things mounted on the back of the atv. For spreading fertilizer I'll just use a 3 point spreader on the tractor but you certainly can spread fertilizer with the Herd Seeder.

biglakeba$$
03-03-2010, 10:11 AM
2 ways I have done larger plots. Quite non-scientific, but has worked just fine for me.

1. sit on the back rack of the ATV and use a hand spreader and have someone drive slow.
2. use my 125 lb Agrifab, and dump in a bag of oats and clover seed mixed. The spreader cant do such small seed alone. And the oats seems to be a nice cover crop.

CaveCreek
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
2 ways I have done larger plots. Quite non-scientific, but has worked just fine for me.

1. sit on the back rack of the ATV and use a hand spreader and have someone drive slow.
2. use my 125 lb Agrifab, and dump in a bag of oats and clover seed mixed. The spreader cant do such small seed alone. And the oats seems to be a nice cover crop.

Glad someone mentioned this. If you can have someone drive you around on some sort of vehicle and sit on back with a hand spreader: Then you probably have the most effective method for the money. Not sure how easy it is to sit comfortably and backwards on a four wheeler.

ROS VEGAS
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM
lots of factors determine you best solution.

for small seeds...i use the hand held crank spreader...mine is a scotts.
I rarely do more than 1 acre at a time.

for larger seeds/fertilizer...it is an Earthway M30. I strap it on my back and walk at a fast pace. LOL........JK...it sits nicely on the Ranger.

loderup
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM

nope. just what the army calls "range walk". a good spreader throws 20+ feet either direction and covers well. it is just what i like to do. do i perfer it over a drill. NO.

i have gone to a no-till application and it makes life much easier but is till do hand spreading on small plots.

mwf19788
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the input. I have used a hand spreader for years but am getting too old for that - my larger food plot is 5+ acres. My tractor & 3pt cone spreader is OK but it's hard to see what's happening and I have to travel too fast with tractor.

I like the idea of a hand spreader while sitting on the back of an ATV - but since my boys have moved out - I only have my wife and my daughter at home - I showed them the suggestion and that I figured I should drive the ATV while they crank OR I could spend $300 plus and they could stay at home - they both suggested I buy a Herd Seeder.

I would also like to use it to salt the drive or spread much heavier seed like corn - how much is the rheostat and is it worth it?

Is the only place to buy one - directly from the mfg'er?

PS - what happened to the QDMA show that was on the outdoor channel? I really liked that show

widerack60
03-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I think the reostat was $61.00 ,not sure if you can get one elsewhere.Go to there website and get there number and give them a call .
http://herdseederco.onelesslogin.com/index.html

widerack60