PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Cutting Property Boundaries

Forage
02-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Anyone here ever done it? Also looking at hinging the entire field edge of one of the main plots on hour hunting area. This plot is extremely difficult to hunt as there is about 1800 linear feet of access to the field directly from the bedding area. Due to the fact that this field runs north and south and winds are predominately north west or south west and the bedding is done to the east of the plot it is almost impossible hunt this edge. Most of the time I hunt on the north end of the field just watching deer 200 -300 yards away feeding, never to get close enough for a shot. My idea is to hinge cut the entire edge an then force the deer to enter the field at either ends (also easier less impact hunter access). Has anyone here ever attempted a similar task and what were the results?

scrimshaw33
02-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I did it this year as neighbors tresspassing and using atvs. I tried to leave about eight feet of trees on edge for a screen and hinged the rest for deer cover and to decrease tresspasser use.

Forage
02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Did you notice any negative difference in movement of the deer?

brutusbeefcake
02-28-2010, 03:19 PM
900 feet is a long way to funnel deer assuming they are bedding near the middle of the (1800 ft) and have to head around to the nearest end. It seems sooner or later they will find a hole to slip through that will still be out of shooting range. Might work for gun hunting but could pose a pretty good challenge for bow hunting.

scrimshaw33
02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Forage, I most definitely noticed different deer movement. The border I shared had a 10 foot wide logging road on top of the crest of a ridge. I dropped all the trees I could in the road which I owned so no ATVs could be ridden there and to move deer. Deer now have moved inside the trail more on my property and outside of shooting range of the neighbors.

Forage
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
You are right on about it being a long way. One of the unique features of this property is that there was a wild fire in the area about 10 years ago. Because of that fire this woods is thick, very thick. this also makes hinge cutting pretty easy as there are numerous trees in the 2-6 inch range. Imagine 40 acres of 2-6 inch saplings 1-3 foot apart. This enables the ability to create some serious hinge blocks. I have done a few 200 foot blocks already to funnel deer, but this will be a major undertaking if I decide to go through with it. My guess is about 3 weekends. I typically make each about 15-20 yards wide.

kansas-andres
03-01-2010, 12:50 AM
I would do It. If you dont the field Is Not huntable with those winds, as you said. Even If you could get half of it cut this year Im sure It would make a big diffrence. Good luck

MOdeer
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
We did a project similar to what you're proposing 2 years ago. Our field edge was only 300 feet, but we did funnel the deer to 2 spots we wanted them to enter the field. You'll also increase the edge density by allowing more sunlight to hit the smaller shrubs/bushes as well. 900 feet is a long ways, I agree, but do what you can when you can, see if it works. I don't think you can ever go wrong by doing TSI, no matter the location. Good luck!

Forage
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I will try to post some pics, problem is I always neglect to bring the camera, I am always more concerned about the gas, chainsaw and tools! Thanks Again!:)