PDA

View Full Version : Let the cutting begin!

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
After two months of tying off the trees I want and don't want cut, and getting the right select timber cutter, the work started today for a couple of hours before being delayed by some rain. Will have about 15 acres select cut to harvest mature poplar, hickory and maple and a few oaks that are diseased to release oaks and provide more cover in my "park like" woods.

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
An oak tree released with plenty of room for more growth and new undergrowth...

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
A logging deck near one of my new blinds...

brushpile
02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Let me be the first to say that you deserve the QDMer of the year award! I have never seen anyone get busier than you!!!

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Like I said, I just like to get things done that will take "time" to mature...undergrowth, planting trees, blinds, etc. Although there will always be work, in a few years I hope to just "maintain" rather than "create", right or wrong.

brushpile
02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I can relate. I had my conservation agent out a few years ago, and told him my plan. He asked what my priorities were? I told him, "Everything", and he could hardly believe it when I got everything done in a matter of months.:D

But, then there is the wait for nature to produce. Sometimes you go two steps back before you go forward and reap the results, but it will pay off.:)

You are doing amazing things!

letemgrow
02-22-2010, 08:17 PM
looks like you are doing some great things!!!

hunterrep
02-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Scrimshaw, I'm tired just reading your threads. Hats off to you dude, keep up the good work.

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I've dreamed of having my farm and doing these improvements to it since I was 15 y.o. I even started looking for farms at that age, even though it was 15 years later until I could afford a farm. So in a way the dam has broken and the years of work (school) it took me to get to this point were the hardest. Now the fun begins!

doublej
02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Looking good scrimshaw. Your logger got in pretty fast, I had mine sold already back when you were talking about selling yours and I'm still waiting for them to get cutting. Looks like with the weather they are going to hold me up until July or August when it dries out. Looking forward to see much your hunting improves over the few years. Good luck.

hunterrep
02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice to see your dreams come true and you are obviously very deserving of owning it, good for you. I remember the feeling when I bought my first farm. Owning you own land is a feeling that is unlike anything else.
When did you buy your farm and how many acres do you own.
BTW, when are you going to find time to build those 20 ft. wood stands I sent you plans on?

scrimshaw33
02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Bought it last year in March, 100 acres. Want to get my planting done and then will work on those ladder stands---thanks! Got plans for eight of them. I am putting my blinds up now since they are in areas where I have no trees and want to get those in before the warm weather hits--too hot to do that stuff.

qdmohio
02-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Looks good, post some more pics as the logging progresses. I'd also like to see some pics of the logged areas next year and the year after, to see how much new growth there is in those areas that will now be able to see lots of sun.

CTQDM
02-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Good luck Scrimshaw, I know exactly how you are feeling. Our logger dropped his equipment at our place this Saturday and I can hardly wait to see that Feller Buncher in action. We are doing one five acre clear cut that I plan to put two or three spruce thickets into for thermal cover and 13 acre shelter wood cut to thicken up a section of park like woods for browse and cover. Our plan is to leave the tops where they fall in hopes of protecting some of the new growth and creating immediate cover for the deer and other small mammals. I look foreword to seeing pics as your work continues as well as the regeneration that will follow.

scrimshaw33
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Looks just like the machinary at my place. It's sunny today so looks like some work will take place. It's a little scary at first as so much destruction is happening but hopefully will be worth it in the long run, right now looks bare but will be interested to see what pops up.

bigeight
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Making cover and bedding areas is like that. It's gotta get really bad before it can get good. Nice to see you are taking the plunge into it head first. Hard to get some people to cut one tree to benefit their habitat, let alone a huge area. You will surely have some ridiculous hunting property in a few years.

Nice commitment!

hardwood11
02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Great pictures, must be very enjoyable to see the work in process. I look forward to working in my woods every year! Absolutely without a doubt it is great to own your own piece of ground!

scrimshaw33
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Some more pics, these are from today's work. They got half of my front woods done only a few acres with a mature oak about every 50 feet.

scrimshaw33
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
The current logging deck with great red clay!

scrimshaw33
02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Carrying a load off to the mill...

letemgrow
02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Very nice work!!!

scrimshaw33
02-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Some updated pics and other:

scrimshaw33
02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
clearing out the woods but leaving some brush:

scrimshaw33
02-28-2010, 08:58 PM
my first shed I found last night (at least deer can only get bigger from here:)), you can see it in some AWPs and clover, rye and yes even some fescue

Billb66
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I've dreamed of having my farm and doing these improvements to it since I was 15 y.o. I even started looking for farms at that age, even though it was 15 years later until I could afford a farm.

That explains an awful lot to me right there 15 + 15 = 30 You still have enough energy to work a full day after you've worked a full day.

The place looks great! and with all your improvements it will have be a gem when you done.
Err, when your further along because your never done.