PDA

View Full Version : Saw question

traqem
02-13-2010, 09:57 AM
A friend of mine recently told me something I've never thought of. Can you run used motor oil in your saw for chain and bar oil? He said he's done it for years, but I thought I'd check with some of you people who've cut many more trees than me before I put it in my new Husky.

Tap
02-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I always use bar oil.

bigeight
02-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Might work, but why risk it? Bar oil is pretty cheap, especially compared to a new saw. :)

foggy
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Ive used drain oil to oil my chain and bar for years.....doesn't everybody? Recycling at it's best.

criggster
02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Why would you use something dirty that would dull your chain? I'll stick to the new clean oil that won't.

bigeight
02-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Why do they even sell bar and chain oil if you could just use any motor oil?

Just another specialty item to sell? Good marketing I guess:o

brushpile
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I've used it and it works fine in terms of function. It gets rid of old oil, saves money, and did not harm the saw.

DRAWBACKS... it is much thinner than bar and chain oil, and needs to be added more frequently. PLUS, where does all that oil go? Because it's thinner, it flies all over, and will soak a pair of jeans in a hurry.:eek:

PALogger
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I dont use it in any quantity, because it lacks the 'tackiness' of bar and chain oil. Good bar oil actually has additives that hold it together and keep it from flying off the saw too quickly. Bar oil is also thick enough to create thin barrier under the chain as it rotates around the bar, slowing bar wear. The only time I use a bit of motor oil is in the winter. I will add about half a quart to one gallon of regular bar oil and shake it up the best I can. It thins it enough to pour when its 15 degrees out. Other than that I have always noticed chains run too hot. Just a tip, if you notice your chain is a brownish color and it seems to be picking up material between the rivets, its running hot. That means you are not getting oil or your oil is too thin. Another tip while we are talking saws, if you seem to be throwing the chain off when cutting, and you know its properly tensioned, its a drive sprocket issue. They are easy to overlook, but as the chain wears in to them it creates problems. Considering new ones are only 7-8 bucks, they are worth replacing.

traqem
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks to all for the help.