PDA

View Full Version : Repair Buck Damage to Apple Trees

okdeergrower
11-29-2009, 12:33 AM
This fall I planted several apples and crabapples that are 4-6 feet tall. Unfortunately I didn't get them protected from deer damage yet and today I found 2 large rubs on two of the trees along with some beat up branches. Is there anything I can do to repair the damage or will they be lost in the spring?:mad:

innova
11-29-2009, 02:32 AM
If they are only rubbed on one side they will be about 50% girdled - these should live.

If they are rubbed all the way around the trunk you'd have to do some bridge grafting to keep them alive - google the term for some images. Not for the amateur.

D Hunter
11-29-2009, 09:48 AM
If your trees are rubbed all the way round but it is well above the graft it may be possible to simply cut the top off at the rub and get your fencing around the tree asap. Then the tree will resprout from the trunk low down and you will not lose the whole tree. The tree will undoubtedly have a big setback but should resprout in springtime. Good luck. "D"

Tree Spud
11-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Make sure you fence the apple trees as any new growth is excellent browse for deer especially in the winter months.

Bnhpr
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Cage them and they might survive. Wait and see what comes back, and cut the tree back to the highest living wood in 2011.

Shoot the buck through the heart for damaging the tree.

my 2 cents.

Ben

okdeergrower
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the input from everyone. Sounds like I need to protect from further damage, hope for the best next spring and kill the perpatrator which I am working on.:mad:

brushpile
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Last Spring I was training branches on apple trees, when one of my trees split straight down the middle. I cut off the damage, and the tree grew back like nothing had happened to it. Cut off the damage, and the tree will probably make a full and complete recovery.