PDA

View Full Version : question about sugar beets

On_Point
11-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Was wondering if anybody has used sugar beets for food plots. I was impressed by the maturity rate of only being about 45 days and how you could implement a nurse crop of oats. To me it seems like this would be a good combo for a plot by providing pre and post-frost feed. Fill me in on any successes/failures anybody has had with this?

Lickcreek
11-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Was wondering if anybody has used sugar beets for food plots. I was impressed by the maturity rate of only being about 45 days and how you could implement a nurse crop of oats. To me it seems like this would be a good combo for a plot by providing pre and post-frost feed. Fill me in on any successes/failures anybody has had with this?

Sugarbeets have a 120-150 day growing season and are normally planted in the spring. They also don't like competition so planting oats with them would not work to well.

I have a thread on suagrbeets that you might like to read to learn more about thier requirments.

All about sugarbeets (http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30159)

RR beet seed is off the market for now and conventional beets require residual herbicides or cultivation to control weeds...;)

On_Point
11-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks lickcreek for the link and on the advice. I was browsing the net and got the idea from bucklunch.com from there planting instructions. But I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Its nice having all the ole mossy horns in here shariing there knowledge.

S2 Kid
11-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks lickcreek for the link and on the advice. I was browsing the net and got the idea from bucklunch.com from there planting instructions. But I had a feeling it was too good to be true. Its nice having all the ole mossy horns in here shariing there knowledge.

Lickcreek is right. These other guys may be talking about turnips. There is a big difference.