PDA

View Full Version : Shooting house windows

jdunham
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM
My daughter and I are mid project in our shooting house. I am not sure what height I want to put them so that everyone can shoot out of them without them being to high or to low. Was wondering what others have done with their windows. Suggestions?

anthony cupps
11-05-2009, 12:55 PM
i reckon you just gotta think about how high the chair is compared to the angle that your are shooting out of the stand (i.e. = box blind on the ground vs box blind 15ft high). I'd cut my windows at about 3.5ft or so....might wanna get the chair and kinda measure how high you think they ought to be.....also, might wanna make the window height slightly taller than normal so it will fit you too....good luck man! i hope your daughter gets a biggun!!!

jack23
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Did mine at 32" and wish they were 34", we do also use sand bags.

npaden
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Mine are at 34" and I'm pretty happy with that. I bought a blind that had them at 36" and I felt that was just a touch too high. I'm generally shooting at a slight downward angle and have a medium height chair.

My theory is that if you are going to err, err on the too low side. Alot easier to use a sandbag than it is to raise you or the chair up.

jdunham
11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
We will be probably 11' or 12' off the ground at the windows if we went 34" but we are shooting into a gently sloping hill so there won't be alot of shooting down at hard angles. Maybe I can set something up for a little trial run to make sure we are both good at that height.

foggy
11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
FWIW....I think the height of your window bottoms is somewhat controlled by how much window opening you have. For example: I have 11" inch high windows with fold-down plexiglass panes. Our box blinds are set on 12 or 14 foot posts. If I have my windows lower than 37" you will be looking into the top of the blind at further distances...thus you need to slouch in the chair or bend your neck to watch for critters....very annoying. If my windows were taller (say 16") it would not be a problem.

I did some research....and the 37" height seemed to work out pretty well for us.....and we just put a glove or a gloved hand on the sill. (and keep the 11" window opening height....as this height allows for 12" plexi windows)

If I build another....I am considering a little taller window (16"?) ....and again 36" high sills (+-2").

OH...and we use secretary type office chairs (no arms) at the lowest setting or cut-down swiveling bar stools (with backs) for our seating. The seat height is also somewhat determined by the distance to the window opening. Its all a game of a few inches. Test Test Test

dgallow
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
30" (dining table) - 36" (counter-top) floor to sill is about right. We like for the top of the window to allow for shading of the horizon....improves low light visibility...a pull-down shade would work. If your shots may be at long range, then install a 14" x 2' shelf below the sill to use as a bench. Cloth bags filled with sawdust make handy/liteweight sand bags....one on the sill and one on the shelf....rock solid rest! ;)

jdunham
11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
There are some long range opportunities here but the shelf/bench was a must have. I want my daughter to have as much support as she can for any shooting she does. This house will double as a woodchuck sniping location as well so it will get year round use. Just looked at a buddies this morning, he went 36" and that seems pretty close to ideal. I am going to do some shooting with my daughter tomorrow and we will run some tests. She is getting pretty excited about the whole deal.