PDA

View Full Version : Thinning out Trees for Others to benefit..??

BOB_T
11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I have a couple of Oaks on my property that grow acorns - The largest one is Out in the middle of the property with not much else around it - It towers 30'+ over everything else in that area.. (appears to have been logged many years back except for this particular tree)

There is another one across the creek With Huge Poplars that are competing for sunlight ...

* Should I thin out some of the Matured Poplars on the south of that oak ???

The beavers are bringing down alot of the large 50'+ poplars but mainly on the Northern side of the oak i mentioned above..... Should I allow them to remain on the property & take down the larger trees or will this backfire.......???

sandbur
11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Beavers can make some great habitat. An area above olddam that has dried out is a natural foodplot. fallen trees lead to lots of regrowth. Eventually it gets to the point where they start cutting trees that you want to keep. You need to keep an eye on their activities.

when I did some trapping, we tried to remove two or three beaver per colony. They were then less likely to eat themselves out of house and home and would often stay in the same palce for years. this might be an option for you.

Timber Doodle
11-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I am on the track of hopefully opening up a lot of more mast producing trees over the next couple years. If the aspen are interfering or almost interfering with the canopy of the oak, they should be removed to benefit the oak. Here is a great link that'll help you out, as well offer many ideas for different tree or animal managements.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/landowners_guide/Habitat_Mgmt/Forest/Timber_Harvesting.htm

As for the beavers... sandbur is right they can make great habitat, but they're not really doing anything you can't do and they may potentially ruin desired trees. I never liked having beavers here because they would dam up the creek and theres lots of marsh for bedding areas surrounding the creek that would be overly wet.