PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait before planting after lime ???

wml
10-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Got some plans for some clover plots, and some other summer plots this coming spring, My question is how long do I need to wait after applying lime to sow seed ?

From my readings I understand lime reacts slowly towards the PH in the soil, how long does this take to affect the quality of the plot ?

kansas-andres
10-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Got some plans for some clover plots, and some other summer plots this coming spring, My question is how long do I need to wait after applying lime to sow seed ?

From my readings I understand lime reacts slowly towards the PH in the soil, how long does this take to affect the quality of the plot ?

whats the ph reading

pinwheel
10-19-2009, 10:58 PM
If you lime in the winter, by spring the lime will have started breaking down. You can lime & plant the same day without hurting anything, you're just not going to get the full value of the lime till it breaks down in the soil, which it will continue to do for up to 3 years.

sagittarius
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Got some plans for some clover plots, and some other summer plots this coming spring, My question is how long do I need to wait after applying lime to sow seed ? From my readings I understand lime reacts slowly towards the PH in the soil, how long does this take to affect the quality of the plot ? You don't have to wait, lime as soon as you can. Disk the lime in before you plant, as completely as possible.

Lee Taylor Properties
10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
It is always too late to put down lime because it always should have been put down yesterday! I put it down at the same time I plant, even though it doesn't do that planting a whole lot of good, I'm really putting it down for the next planting. You'd be surprised how much it helps even this time if you incorporate it well and have good soil moisture. I did a test plot this summer where I only limed half a plot, and the limed half was about 30% better, taller, thicker than the unlimed part. And the lime was only put down two weeks before planting. I recently replanted the plot with cereal grains and brassicas, and I expect to see an even greater difference now that the lime has had time to fully react to the soil.

foggy
10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I put down lime in the spring and planted later in the summer. The crops on my limed (and fertilized) plots are at least twice the yield of what my un-limed (and fertilized) plots are. The results proved it to me. I'm putting down more lime next spring.....and will plant any time after getting it down.