PDA

View Full Version : Homemade food plot drag?

JGilbert
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm looking to make a new food plot drag, as ours is in shambles. We used 2 4x6's with 4ft of chain link fence between them to drag our plots this time around, but between it being a pain to roll/unroll to move between plots and it being torn to pieces, I think it's time for another one. I was wondering what you guys have used to drag your plots with and how well it worked. I'm thinking about using 3" hollow fence posts filled with cement and capped on the ends, but I need some sort of fencing that won't catch on itself or come apart from use. Thanks for the help

Soybean Man
09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I have taken old cotton picker spindles and drove them into a couple of 2x6's to make a harrow. Just an idea. You could go to some cotton growing areas and find some used ones.

JGilbert
09-20-2009, 01:55 PM
It's not so much of a harrow I'm looking for as we have a set of them, I'm looking for something to help flatten the seedbed and cover seed once it's been spread. We don't really have to bury it far, usually less than 2 inches, so I think something like a harrow could possibly bury them too far if we weren't careful.

j-bo
09-20-2009, 02:17 PM
This DIY cultipacker is what I think I'm going to try for next year. Seems simple and relatively cheap.

http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=9364

Token_Lake
09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
nope, he's looking for a drag to level and fill in, not a cultipacker.

Here's about the best and cheapest one's i think you can get. tine's on one side for tilling and then smooth on the other for covering and leveling.
http://www.thesmartfarmer.com/farm-equipment/Implements/Chain-Drag-Harrows.aspx

everything else I've found is twice the cost as these are for the same thing.

Also depends on what seed your using but most grains can be buried over 2" deep but smaller seed's need to be right at the top so spreading and culti-packing over dragging would work better.

Rick
09-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Made a drag this year that really works well as well as being cheap:

Took a 4 x 4 crossmember (4 x 4 would work too) and got a piece of 6' x 7' heavy duty chain fencing from a distributer closeby. It costs $9.00.

Attached the fencing to the crossmember by rolling the fence around the crossmember and attached it to the fence with hog ties. Then attached the fencing directly to the crossmember with fence nails (the ones that form a "u")

Drilled the crossmember about 18 inches from each and put a piece of rope through to attached 2 heavy tires and lash the tires to the drag. Then cut another piece of rope with a clip on it to lash the two tires together and keep them from sliding off the drag.

last attach another rope to the crossmember with 2 large screw in circle screws (?).

Works great to level and pack. Comes apart easily and can be rolled up to transport and tires taken off quickly and moved too.

If you need some pics, let me know.

banc123
09-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I bought one of these 5 years ago and beat it to death.

Harrow (http://cgi.ebay.com/6-1-2-x-8-Chain-Harrow-Landscape-Arena-Drag-ATV-Rake_W0QQitemZ390095752039QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad384cb67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Dano
09-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I used an old bed spring this weekend, it worked great for about 10 minutes then came apart, back to the drawing board.

JGilbert
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
I bought one of these 5 years ago and beat it to death.

Harrow (http://cgi.ebay.com/6-1-2-x-8-Chain-Harrow-Landscape-Arena-Drag-ATV-Rake_W0QQitemZ390095752039QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad384cb67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

That's pretty much what I want, but I'm trying to build it myself to cut down on costs and to give me something to do haha, I just need some sort of chain that will hold up under heavy use.

We use a drag on our foodplots before and after sowing the seed to flatten the seedbeds to reduce the small ditches from the harrows, and going back over them with the harrows would likely bury the seed too deep for our soil here and also double the amount of time on the tractor. Usually we plow all of our plots back to back so it would go from taking 2 days to 4 days to get everything plowed and planted.

traqem
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I think you're getting more weight than you need on your drag, particularly at the front end. When I tried that much weight on the front end, all I did was sweep the seed off the plot and pull the loose soil off. I had my best results with a doubled chain link fence with a large pallet chained to the middle. This smoothed the bed without pushing the soil and seed around.

tyler0421
09-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Anyone have anymore ideas on this?

elroma
09-13-2011, 03:29 PM
We just made one out of a 6" dia metal pipe and it worked great. We took
8'-0" ... drilled 2 holes in it, threaded 2 eye hooks through it with nylon look washers behind it. then we took 2 8' pieces of chain and attached them with carabiners to the eyes and then to hook to the tractor/mule/4 wheeler/ truck.

We dragged 5 acres of seed and the only problem were the carabiners. But you can replace those with something hardier. We will have that thing for a while I think.

Total was around $150

D Hunter
09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
It depends a bit on how well your soil is worked up to start with. If you end up with a fair amount of clods as we always do a 4x6foot piece of chain link with three cinder blocks. We put the three cinder blocks end to end, about two feet from one end of the chain link fence. Then we roll the chain link over the blocks. Put a log chain through the fencing on the near end of the blocks, through the overlapped portion and hook to the bottom of the fencing. Do this on the end blocks on either side. Attach the middle to your ATV. Therefore when you pull on the chain you will pull on the bottom and the whole thing stays square and the front of the blocks cuts a flat edge and the chain dragging after smoothes it out well. Last one lasted 10 years before replacement. Good luck. "D"

crimedog389
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I purchased a 4ft heavy gauge steel chain drag /harrow from Tractor Supply back in the spring..Like the other one it's smooth on one side with the steel teeth on the other..I don't think you could tear the thing up even if you tried..It has been a great investment for me and honestly for what it does it was well worth the money..Cost was less than some of the home made ones too..

ruger1
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I made one this year out of a 4x4 post and a section of fencing. I cut the post in half and screwed the two pieces together. I then wrapped the fence around it and left a section hanging over and added some weight to the tail end. I used two sections of chain to attach the drag to the quad. Used it this year to drag over my oats/rye/peas mix before cultipacking. I think it worked really well and my plot is coming in great.

ruger1
09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Used the homemade drag on this cereal mix plot before cultipacking. Plot at 12 days growth.

Agrantina
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I found an old receiver hitch basket.. I was actually looking for a piece if rod iron fence to use as a drag. The basket was bent all up but I cut the bottom out of it and used it. I attached it to the back of my cultipacker so I can use both without having to pick the drag up and put in the back on the Kawasaki Mule.. Works great for me…

AndyG