PDA

View Full Version : Few final Questions on my Plots?

racks-n-beards
08-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Here is what is in the works.I have 3/4 acre plot being preped now. I Have 50lbs of BFO and WW. Getting 8lbs of ladina clover and 2lbs of chicory to be nursed by the above.Planning on fertilizing with 200 lbs. 13-13-13 ( would that work? )

I am going to hold back 12.5 lbs each of the WW and BFOs for a different 1/2 acre plot. that gives me 25 lbs of WW and BFO's, for that plot. Reccommend broad cast rate is 50lbs for such grains on a half acre. I was wondering if 25 lbs of Rye grain would be nice addition to finish this off? Or would you all just add nother 25lbs of WW? 100 or 150 lbs of 13-13-13 for fert? I am planning on putting this 1/2 acre into milo next summer.

Let me know what you all think bout this plan? and any suggested Changes are HIGHLY WELCOMED!!!!

dogdoc
08-05-2005, 12:08 PM
your plan sounds GREAT to me. go ahead and add the extra 25# of either rye or wheat to your 1/2 acre plot. wheat is suppose to be a little more palatable than rye but rye is a little more winter hardy. I can't really tell a difference here in oklahoma. on your 1/2 acre cereal grain plot go ahead and fertilize with 150# of triple 13--the cereal grains will enjoy the extra nitrogen. you can even top dress it about 3 weeks later with 25# of 34-0-0. One pound of dwarf essex rape would be a great addition also with the cereal grains.

good luck
todd

Catcher
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I agree with Doc, 13-13-13 has been the best stuff for our plots. Personally, i would go with the extra wheat over the rye. That is just me choice. If you are in an area that will keep the oats in a healthy state through the majority of the winter, i would even go with a full shot of oats. Last year i planted the oats and wheat in strips and the deer walked through the wheat and clobbered the oats. I like Doc's idea to throw in a little dwarf essex, Astrian peas may be a choice too if you can find small bags. My local CO-OP will sell them in 5# and 10# bags to supplement fall plots. I love those guys!

Good luck

farmland QDM
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Doc and Catcher have already gave some good advice and there isn't much I can add. I like 25#/ac of rye in with the mix because where I am at in an extreme winter the rye will guarantee some spring food. I also do not see a difference in oats, wheat or rye as far as deer preference but from what I understand oats and wheat are more palatable to deer than rye.

I also like to add a legume such as Austrian winter peas to wheat and rye but have never tried the brassicas in this mix.