PDA

View Full Version : Alfalfa in Alabama

KCR-AL
08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I am planting a plot in Alfalfa this fall in N Alabama. I have been preparing the soil for a year. PH, P and K are real good. (Ph 6.7, P VH@137 and K H@330) I am confused as to which variety of Alfalfa to plant as I have never planted alfalfa. I am considering alfagraze or WTI's Alfa-Rack plus. I have reservations about Alfa-Rack Plus because I wanted more of a pure alfalfa plot. I have an acre of clover adjoining the soon to be alfalfa plot so I donít feel the need for the clover in the A-R Plus. Brassicas have a low preference in my area, so I'm not sure I want to add them in with an alfalfa planting either. I am leaning toward choosing alfagraze, but I thought some of you may be more familiar with some of the other grazing varieties for use in North Alabama. Which ever variety I plant, I will plant wheat with the alfalfa to provide some food (and weed competition) when the alfalfa goes dormant. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

dogdoc
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
KCR--sounds like you've worked hard getting your soil ready. I wish I had my soil testing that good--great job!

I planted a 1 acre plot of alfalfa about 2 1/2 years ago. My pH was 5.8 and I added 2000# of lime, disced it in, and planted. Since then I have topdressed it a couple of times with liquid lime and I have also overseeded it with clover/trefoil/ and chicory. The alfalfa is still doing well but not as good as the clover and trefoil--i'm sure that is my fault as the pH is about 6.3 right now--just not high enough to keep the alfalfa going strong.

I planted a variety called haygrazer---it was suppose to have higher leaf:stem ratio. I'm not an alfalfa expert so I don't really know if it does or not. I was wanted the alfagraze and the co-op guy said this was the closest variety they had to the alfagraze so I bought it. It has done fine and the deer really seem to like it.

I really think you'll do fine with the alfagraze and it should meet the needs you are looking for. Like I said that was the variety I wanted to plant but just couldn't find it locally.

good luck
todd

moebucks
08-03-2005, 05:11 PM
AMERICASALFALFA.COM has good information on their different varieties. I belive they make alfagraze and a couple of varities made for the South.

KCR-AL
08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Dogdoc, thanks for the information. There is not much alfalfa grown in Alabama anymore so there arenít many people around here to ask about growing alfalfa. I was considering adding trefoil to the mix but I have heard it can take 3 to 4 years to establish. Also, the first time I had heard of planting trefoil with alfalfa was in your previous post. I had wondered if trefoil was a compatible plant with alfalfa, but you answered my question. Thanks. I will add trefoil in with the alfalfa.

Moebucks, I have found the Americaís Alfalfa site to be very helpful. For some reason, I had forgotten that Alfagraze was their variety. I had always paid more attention to Amerigraze. Thanks for the reply.