PDA

View Full Version : No Till Grain Drill & Corn Planting

Roger
08-12-2009, 10:17 PM
The problem with the county co-op drill is that it is for small grain like wheat, soybeans, native grasses etc. I planted 15 acres of soybeans with it this summer. It did great.

I know these things should not be used for corn because it plants corn too close. What if I mixed the corn and soybeans together in the boxes? For example I mix 1 bag of corn and two bags of soybeans to plant 3 acres at a 50 lb per acre seeding rate? Shouldn't that space the corn far enough apart?

Anyone ever try this?

ipullhondasout
08-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Yea, no problem! Biomaxx is the same thing. Not sure on the mixing rate but it is recommended to plant with a drill. It will work just fine!

phj
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
The problem with the county co-op drill is that it is for small grain like wheat, soybeans, native grasses etc. I planted 15 acres of soybeans with it this summer. It did great.

I know these things should not be used for corn because it plants corn too close. What if I mixed the corn and soybeans together in the boxes? For example I mix 1 bag of corn and two bags of soybeans to plant 3 acres at a 50 lb per acre seeding rate? Shouldn't that space the corn far enough apart?

Anyone ever try this?

I have a Great Plains no-till drill and planted eagle beans mixed with what they call "small rounds" corn seed. This worked great for us, when the deer finally found the beans they ate those and have left the corn alone.

Next spring we will increase the corn numbers when we plant. This past spring we mixed a 1/4 bag of corn to each bag of beans. Next year I believe we will try a third of a bag, I think that will be just about right. BTW, we have our best corn crop ever!

The small round seed is just a little bigger than the bean seed but went thru the drill with no problems.

Good luck

bhanks55
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a Great Plains no-till drill and planted eagle beans mixed with what they call "small rounds" corn seed. This worked great for us, when the deer finally found the beans they ate those and have left the corn alone.

Next spring we will increase the corn numbers when we plant. This past spring we mixed a 1/4 bag of corn to each bag of beans. Next year I believe we will try a third of a bag, I think that will be just about right. BTW, we have our best corn crop ever!

The small round seed is just a little bigger than the bean seed but went thru the drill with no problems.

Good luck

EXCELLENT advice right there. Use the "small rounds" for sure.
You can also use the cups that great plains has to block up the holes for the drill droptubes to provide adequate spacing if just planting corn as well.

HabitatMD
08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
rmr used 1.5# corn for every 20# of beans.

Roger
08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
rmr used 1.5# corn for every 20# of beans.

Who is or what is RMR?

Wouldn't the cups fill up the tubes etc? How would that work?

The Great Plains 705NG is the drill I will be using.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/photo14.jpg

HabitatMD
08-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Sorry bout that. rmr is a forum member. Here is one of his threads with what his corn/bean stand looks like.

http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=25756

bhanks55
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Who is or what is RMR?

Wouldn't the cups fill up the tubes etc? How would that work?

The Great Plains 705NG is the drill I will be using.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/photo14.jpg

That is precisely what you WANT to do. Block up the tubes so no seed goes in them. The cups block them individually. So, you can block every other one or whatever you want to get the right spacing for corn, etc. if you want just row crop style corn for example.

jdunham
08-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Our Soil and Conservation office has the same drill and I have planted Biologics BioMaxx with it the last 4 years. Works great, just took a little time to figure out the right setting. I finally settled on the setting of 44 on the seed box on Drive 1. This may be just a hair heavy but it has produced picture perfect plots the last two years. First two years were a little thin and we finally worked up to this setting. I had talked to some Biologic Reps before using this to see about using a no-till and they had told me a little heavy is better than a little light. They are correct, the light plots can get a ton of weeds even with the spraying, the slightly heavier plots shade out everything else but the corn and beans. BioMaxx is 78-80% Soybeans and 20% corn for those guys mixing their own. Very happy with that mixture.

Roger
08-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Our Soil and Conservation office has the same drill and I have planted Biologics BioMaxx with it the last 4 years. Works great, just took a little time to figure out the right setting. I finally settled on the setting of 44 on the seed box on Drive 1. This may be just a hair heavy but it has produced picture perfect plots the last two years. First two years were a little thin and we finally worked up to this setting. I had talked to some Biologic Reps before using this to see about using a no-till and they had told me a little heavy is better than a little light. They are correct, the light plots can get a ton of weeds even with the spraying, the slightly heavier plots shade out everything else but the corn and beans. BioMaxx is 78-80% Soybeans and 20% corn for those guys mixing their own. Very happy with that mixture.

I would love to see some pictures of your plots if you have any.

jdunham
08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't have any pictures of the plots. I have almost taken some several times and just didn't get around to it. Basically it is corn thick enough that you can't see through the field and it is a sea of soybeans filling in everywhere else. I may have some trailcam pictures that show it as I have taken tons of pictures on the side of one of the plots. I will have to go back through some and see if it shows what the field looks like. I will try to take some when I am at the property again.

Roger
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Cool, even trail cam pics are fine by me. Just to see it from the side even would be neat.

jdunham
08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
This is the best one I could find that shows the field. I have several big buck pictures but most of them are after the corn has dried. This shows the corn. The soybean that is on the edge that you can see has been browsed very heavy. In the field it is just about waist high and so thick that a softball couldn't fall through anywhere without hitting soybean. Looks like a waist high carpet of soybean with this stand of corn popping out of it. It is not a cheap plot to plant but it has been a wildlife magnet and I have a great time watching these plots in the fall/winter. Never boring.

Roger
08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Looks awesome! Will be doing that next spring for sure! Thanks for digging out the photo!