PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Bean/Corn Plot

walleyeslayer06
07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
What is the smallest plot of bean/corn that you can get away with? I tried a 1/4 acre plot this year and the deer destroyed them. It didn't have a chance. I would like to do more but I don't have that big of an area. I guess I know what I will be doing this winter... :D

M.Magis
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
That would depend on your deer herd, but I woulnd't try less than 2 acres on beans, and that's pushing it.

kansas-andres
07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=walleyeslayer06;226045]What is the smallest plot of bean/corn that you can get away with? I tried a 1/4 acre plot this year and the deer destroyed them. It didn't have a chance. I would like to do more but I don't have that big of an area. I guess I know what I will be doing this winter... :D[/QU Ideally you would want 2 acre min. for corn or soybean plot . But If the Deer Hammered your plot consider it a "plot well done" Young soybean leaves can contain up to 25% protein. Deer love soybeans

sagittarius
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
What is the smallest plot of bean/corn that you can get away with? I tried a 1/4 acre plot this year and the deer destroyed them. It didn't have a chance. I would like to do more but I don't have that big of an area. I guess I know what I will be doing this winter... :D 0.01 acres. :D

Lower the deer population, plant something else, make the plot(s) larger, ... do what ever you want. There is no such thing as a minimum sized plot, ... really. You are planting stuff for the deer to eat. If they come to dinner too early, they must have been hungry and liked what you planted. This is a good thing, you did nothing wrong ... learn, adapt, and have fun.

skin_dog1
07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
look into the gallagher plot prtection fencing. I'ts expensive but looks like it would really protect the food until it was able to withstand the pressure.

Barneyhunts
07-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I've planted a 1/4 acre plot of corn with brassicas on the sides and they've done well. deer stand in the corn and eat the brassicas.:)