PDA

View Full Version : War on Sedge..Basagran

DJ"S Plot
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Took the morning off and sprayed my Sedge filled clover with Basagran. Followed the directions , 1q/acre with a quart of COC and 40 gals of water. I also added Arrow to the mix to take out some grass while I was at it. This morning the grass looked wilty but the sedge was unchanged. Noticed a bit of smartweed in the field which should be killed by the Basagran as it laughed at 2-4DB. And while I had the sprayer out, did about 5 acres of corn and soy with RU. The soy is Eagle Wildlife mix and is doing a good job against the heavy browse. Some of those plants are very sturdy for only being 4 weeks old. The ground hogs and rabbits have found these fields also. My .22 has been finding the ground hogs.

HabitatMD
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Keep me posted on how the Basagran works.

bhanks55
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
that chemical is on my "wish list" as well. Interested to see how it works.

Great Big
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Took the morning off and sprayed my Sedge filled clover with Basagran. Followed the directions , 1q/acre with a quart of COC and 40 gals of water. I also added Arrow to the mix to take out some grass while I was at it. This morning the grass looked wilty but the sedge was unchanged. Noticed a bit of smartweed in the field which should be killed by the Basagran as it laughed at 2-4DB. And while I had the sprayer out, did about 5 acres of corn and soy with RU. The soy is Eagle Wildlife mix and is doing a good job against the heavy browse. Some of those plants are very sturdy for only being 4 weeks old. The ground hogs and rabbits have found these fields also. My .22 has been finding the ground hogs.

DJ, I've used Basagran on Yellow Nutsedge in the past and it worked great. I think you'll be happy.

What was the rate of 2,4 DB you used that the Smartweed laughed at? I've used it in the past @ 3 quart/ac. and seemed to work well.

Good luck.

DJ"S Plot
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Keep me posted on how the Basagran works.

Will do. I am a bit afraid of the results. According to the label I am to spray again in two weeks.

DJ"S Plot
06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
What was the rate of 2,4 DB you used that the Smartweed laughed at? I've used it in the past @ 3 quart/ac. and seemed to work well.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Used 2q/ac. without any surfactant. Basagran has Smartweed on it's label so we will see how it performs.

dprogers
06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Keep us up to date on the performance and whether there is any clover damage. I already have the basagran but did not know it could be used over clover for nutsedge.
I also wonder if it can be used over clover/chicory?

HabitatMaker
06-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Do not skip the second application 10-14 days after the first with Basagran...thats absolutely critical for nutsedge control.

DJ"S Plot
06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Do not skip the second application 10-14 days after the first with Basagran...thats absolutely critical for nutsedge control.

I will be all over it!
Grass is wilty from the Arrow but the nutsedge is hanging tuff yet. Clover looks great yet!