PDA

View Full Version : Few Pics from the Local Plot

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Finally took my camera with me out for a walk at lunch. This was mostly in beans last year with a little corn here and there. I was out turkey hunting this place this spring and noticed there were alot of volunteer bean plants....so we went with it. It ain't the purdiest thing you have seen, but there are more beans than what the deer are keeping up with. Some areas are quite a bit thicker than others. I'd say even too thick in some...but...whatever. I don't really care cause it saved me a ton of money. Its tough to see but I just planted the beans in the foreground not too long ago. Not real impressive from this view.

There has been a bachelor group eating about every night. I can't quite justify in my mind to try and convince the wife that I need to do some watching. Maybe in a month or so.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Some of the areas were disced when it was dry enough in March (next strip over to the right). The beans are more spotty in those areas. This area was not disced. This is in the part closer to the woods in the field pictured above.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
We had the electric fence up for a while and decided it was not needed. You can still see where the beans are taller in the background. There is a little volunteer corn coming up too.

Lickcreek
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Dang...there coming up pretty nice for volunteer bean's! :)

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Little strip of corn that was put in. Got a few other small patches. Then the landowner's son decided to plant another strip a week or two ago of corn/beans.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
That landowner's son did the spraying. Rather than take the fence down and drive through the beans, he decided to wand spray it. Well, he got it a little hot and it resulted in a little damage to the beans. There are yellow patches especially where he concentrated on spraying the weeds. I think they will pull threw.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:22 PM
This was an area that was planted (not volunteer beans). Typically the beans don't get over 18" cause the deer just hammer them since this spot is "tucked" away.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
OK, last bean pictures. Guess there is only so many you need. This was my corn plot last year and we rotated it to beans.

MOdeer
06-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Have you seen anything in the bachelor group that rivals the buck from last year? He was a stud.

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I haven't been out there to do any viewing yet. Our gamecam got flooded last year and my homebrew is currently not working for some reason. When the landowner's son was in town, he watched them for a night or two. I believe he saw 12 different bucks in the field, three of which were outside their ears. I am suspecting those deer may be the ones pictured below, but that's all I have right now.

This thread is the biggen Modeer is referring to...so he isn't running around anymore.
http://www.qdmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=175754#post175754

These were some of the up and comers from last year. I really want to see what the 6 pt has turned into this year. I know, the date says 2007. Screen went out of the cam before it was submerged by Ike remnants.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/habitatmd/Trail%20Cam%20Pics/trailcam0808095.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/habitatmd/Trail%20Cam%20Pics/trailcam0808027.jpg

Lickcreek
06-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Looks like your feed em' all the right stuff and let em' grow up! ;)

HabitatMD
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
That's the game plan. :D And yep, LC, I was surprised to see what I saw as far as volunteer plants during turkey season. I was just praying that we wouldn't have a late frost and we didn't.

bhanks55
06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
NICE

Cant beat already having your plots planted for you for free with a stick!

And they look great to boot.