PDA

View Full Version : Does anything attract like corn?

Savannah
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a 1 acre plot I have tried to do in Biomaxx Corn 2 years in a row. bust both times. No germination. Propper seedbed, planting depth, etc... I am done with it. I have a few small clover plots and they do real well, but they are done come the late months. Thats where the corn does well. Since I cant plant it, is there anything I could try for a late season food plot attractant that works well? I tried the Winter greens last year. It came up well, and looked real pretty. The deer made some nice trails walking through it, but very little was eaten! When I disced the plot this year there were tons of radish things in the ground. Very few were dug up. Thanks for your suggestions.

Lickcreek
06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a 1 acre plot I have tried to do in Biomaxx Corn 2 years in a row. bust both times. No germination. Propper seedbed, planting depth, etc... I am done with it. I have a few small clover plots and they do real well, but they are done come the late months. Thats where the corn does well. Since I cant plant it, is there anything I could try for a late season food plot attractant that works well? I tried the Winter greens last year. It came up well, and looked real pretty. The deer made some nice trails walking through it, but very little was eaten! When I disced the plot this year there were tons of radish things in the ground. Very few were dug up. Thanks for your suggestions.

It's really hard to beat corn with soybeans coming in a close second and I suspect that in your small plot, the seed did indeed germinate but was quickly eaten off as it emerged...a very very common problem in small corn/soybean plots.

Personally I prefer a mix of cereal rye, spring oats and AWP's for a never fail all winter long attractant that no amount of deer can destroy.

Inexpensive and it makes an awesome place to look for sheds.

You can see mine at all stages of the season along with a host of planting and growing information in my thread on

Growing Cereal Grains and Cover Crops (http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=505)

You'll learn why winter rye is better then winter wheat, how it helps build and improve your soil, how it helps control weeds and lesson the need for expensive herbicides and fertilizers.

It's hard to bet corn...but rye is the next best thing and I live in corn country...;)

sagittarius
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
It's really hard to beat corn with soybeans coming in a close second and I suspect that in your small plot, the seed did indeed germinate but was quickly eaten off as it emerged...a very very common problem in small corn/soybean plots. I agree. I have had a turkey issue in my sweetcorn and RR field corn plot. They visit every day, pull up the sprouts and eat the seed. A 10% to 20% loss in areas. I don't mind turkeys eating in the plots ... just not the expensive seed corn.:(

DJ"S Plot
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Lick is spot on! I love brassicas because the deer love brassicas but my grain,pea,clover field was VERY attractive ALL hunting season and there after!

robert lawson
06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
My deer love brassica, but it can be an on and off thing--wr/ww/oats/awp all season long will produce. That's why I plant in strips side by side. On any given day there is something in my plots that they want. I plant buckwheat for the summer the first few years, and 1/2 brassica-1/2 grain/pea mix in the fall. The third year when most weeds have been eliminated I bust the plot into 3rd's. I establish a clover or clover/chicory plot on 1/3 then rotate the remaining 2/3rds with 1/3rd brassica and 1/3rd grain eac year until the clover plays out-(3-5 years). Plow down the clover plant to buckwheat and establish your clover on a different section of the plot. Works for me.:D :D :D

wolc123
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Simply put, nothing else is remotely in the ballpark during gun season. Reason: it all lacks cover and fat-building carbs in comparison to corn. As long as your neighbors dont have corn, then some of the other stuff will work at that time, brassicas and rye being the distant 2nd and 3rd things on the deer's gun-season preference list. If the nieghbors have corn, and you cant swing it, I would abandon the plots completely and let the feilds grow up into brushy cover. Maybe keep a little clover around for early archery season if you hunt then.

markfix
06-20-2009, 10:34 AM
In my area of southern york county pa. I am surrounded by corn and soys.I plant grain sorghum.It is as close as one can get to field corn in nutriants and in my area the deer love it.Especially after the field corn gets picked.It is easy to plant and if one can plant enough it will be there all winter.Also the animals tend to leave it alone until it heads out.I believe it is higher in fat content than actual field corn.

LongTimeGone
06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I would strongly second on the grain sorghum.

qdm4me
06-20-2009, 09:21 PM
no!!!
nothing attracts like corn does on my land durring the hunting season..

Barneyhunts
06-20-2009, 09:27 PM
It's hard to beat in my area:)

corygnc
06-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I would only plant sorghum (milo) if it is planted by farmers in the area. I own ground in KS and the farmers plant milo and unpicked milo is awesome so I planted about 5 acres in Iowa where there is zero milo planted in the area and they barely touched it. I think they were catching on to it very late (Feb-Mar).

If want try a little every year and I bet they will catch on eventually.