PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Wheat pics.....last year....

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Thought i would post these up from last summer. I'm sold on this stuff for screening. Cheap screen at $1.25 a pound. Look at the height compared to the 6 ft. rake......

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Rax77/Food%20Plots/plot3-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Rax77/Food%20Plots/plot.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Rax77/Food%20Plots/plot2-1.jpg

HabitatMD
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Hope you don't mind me adding a few pictures, but I agree. What I haven't been able to figure out yet was if Egyptian Wheat is the same thing as Shattercane. Our farmer wasn't real pleased with what we did, but we really haven't seen any encroachment into the ag field. There may be a stray sprig here and there, but we pull it out of the ag field if we see it. It keeps him happy. I've noticed it will reseed the next year only if the area has a disc taken to it.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/habitatmd/2006-07-15/100_1821-1.jpg

HabitatMD
06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
To really get a screen you can't see through, I'd go with 12' or so. We did one pass with a no-till drill that was 6' and it started to get a little thin once it browned up. Plenty thick while it was green.

My bro is 6'3" and this was July 15th, so it still did some growing.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/habitatmd/2006-07-15/100_1831.jpg

HabitatMD
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
This was Dec. 2. Once the snows hit, it collapsed quite a bit, but then the deer were cruising up and down it because the seed heads were now at "browsable" level.

Obviously, the quail were using it.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/habitatmd/2006-12-02/Various8-12-05005-1.jpg

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
i would think spreading wouldnt be an issue.....everything around here is roundup ready beans and corn.....

it's hard to imagine how such a little seed can make that big a stalk in that short amount of time...!

Lickcreek
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Great pics guys! EW is a great screen and wildlife cover IMO

Mine is just getting going good as it's been cold and wet here.

I fertilized with 100#'s of urea and used 2 quarts of atrazine for weed control, although for birds a mix of weeds in with the EW would be awesome too!

Mine is mostly for a screen but as you can see in our thread on IW...deer seem to like it too...;)

Egyptian Wheat in Iowa (http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28421)

Marty Edwards
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I have questions, hopefully you can help.

1. Where does a feller get ahold of some of that?

2. I only have ATV equipment; plotmaster, drag harrow, etc, can it be broadcast?

3. When is it best to plant? (too late this yr?)

4. Did I understand that if you want it to come back the following yr. you have to disc it? If so when?

5. Assuming I can use my ATV equipment I assume planting would go something like this;
1. Round up area to be planted
2. disc it up when good n dead get a nice smooth seed bed.
3. broadcast.
4. lightly cover with drag and packer wheel on plotmaster.
5. Pray for a steady gentle rain.

Does that sound right? Only thing I'm note sure of is weed/competition control (maybe it grows fast enough to win that battle?) And if there are any fertilizer requirements?

Thanks guys, I have been in big need of an effective, fast growing, non invasive screening, sounds like this could do the trick.

-Marty

It looks like LC and I posted simultaneously, so I see many of my questions were answerd there. Can a knucklehead get ahold of some Atrazine or is it a R.U. chemical? I know nothing about it, but I'm guessing it provides residual benefit weed control? Does it kill everything? i.e. non-selective, or does it not kill grasses, I'm guessing everything, but is safe to use before germination??

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I have questions, hopefully you can help.

1. Where does a feller get ahold of some of that?

2. I only have ATV equipment; plotmaster, drag harrow, etc, can it be broadcast?

3. When is it best to plant? (too late this yr?)

4. Did I understand that if you want it to come back the following yr. you have to disc it? If so when?

5. Assuming I can use my ATV equipment I assume planting would go something like this;
1. Round up area to be planted
2. disc it up when good n dead get a nice smooth seed bed.
3. broadcast.
4. lightly cover with drag and packer wheel on plotmaster.
5. Pray for a steady gentle rain.

Does that sound right? Only thing I'm note sure of is weed/competition control (maybe it grows fast enough to win that battle?) And if there are any fertilizer requirements?

Thanks guys, I have been in big need of an effective, fast growing, non invasive screening, sounds like this could do the trick.

-Marty

It looks like LC and I posted simultaneously, so I see many of my questions were answerd there. Can a knucklehead get ahold of some Atrazine or is it a R.U. chemical? I know nothing about it, but I'm guessing it provides residual benefit weed control? Does it kill everything? i.e. non-selective, or does it not kill grasses, I'm guessing everything, but is safe to use before germination??

i broadcasted some this morning.....it's a tad bit late but i did the same last year and you can see what happened. they'll tell you its better done with a drill, but it can be broadcast with good results. the main thing i've learned is not to get it on very thick. i used it to block off some open areas to seclude a couple of food plots. the seed is very small and i've found that weeds were not really a problem (i didnt even spray, just tilled them under really well) the EW grew fast and i dont mind a little weeds in the mix anyway...not sure about all the spray questions you asked....

i have the tel. number to the place where i buy mine. i live in Southwestern IN and the place is about a 30 min. drive from me. They actually are really nice people and shipped some to my cousin in OH the other week. at $1.25 a pound its a great deal for the amout of screen you get.

if you want the tel. # holla....

HabitatMD
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
i would think spreading wouldnt be an issue.....everything around here is roundup ready beans and corn.....

it's hard to imagine how such a little seed can make that big a stalk in that short amount of time...!

Shattercane can be problematic. Might be a cause for a farmer to have to get out his spray rig another time, spend money on chemicals, when he would have otherwise been done. Sure it can be handled with added time and money.

Ain't a darn thing you can do if milo is in your crop rotation.

Personally, I love the stuff, but if it is indeed shattercane, farmers would rather not have it around.

I got it at a local Co-op here. I'd say you could still get it in and do OK. I'd shoot for sometime this month. Broadcasting should work at 10-15#/acre or so. I'd err towards 10# rather than 15. More is not better when it comes to sorghum.

Lickcreek. I'm not sure herbicides are needed too terribly much for it. Its a hell of a competitor and can outgrow about anything. But I bet the atrazine helps for the first month or so. Ours just had a glypho application and then was planted. Course it was no-tilled which probably helped as well.

Lickcreek
06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure herbicides are needed too terribly much for it. Its a hell of a competitor and can outgrow about anything. But I bet the atrazine helps for the first month or so. Ours just had a glypho application and then was planted. Course it was no-tilled which probably helped as well.

I agree...don't want everyone to think that atrazine is imperative because it's certainly not for EW. I just had it handy as I was using it on some new red cedar seedlings...;)

I found it tough to spread it without overdoing it with a hand broadcaster but this stuff is better off spread thinly rather then thicker.

Kind of a side subject but I think if one had strips of EW, disced up "ragweed" strips and larger blocks of NWSG...you would have quail coming out your ears...;)

Marty Edwards
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
sent you a pm

qdmohio
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
That stuff looks awesome as a quick screen or travel route cover. How big is the seed, say, compared to a brassica seed?

Lickcreek
06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
That stuff looks awesome as a quick screen or travel route cover. How big is the seed, say, compared to a brassica seed?

I have pics of the seed in this link:

Egyptian Wheat (http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28421)

More like the size of Milo seed maybe...;)

HabitatMD
06-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Yep, looks real close to milo. Grows similarly too. I've got a buddy who I keep telling to put this amount of seed in this amount of area and he subscribes to the more seed is better mentality. He likes to give it an extra boost when I'm not looking. I think I'm finally breaking him of that after a few plantings he has done of EW here locally that only made it to 5-6 ft tall and really didn't head out.

LongTimeGone
06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I bought some EW seed two years ago, which has been stored in a cool dry basement...think its still good?

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I bought some EW seed two years ago, which has been stored in a cool dry basement...think its still good?

i wouldnt be scared to use it...

MOdeer
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Easiest way to tell is to do a germination test. Take a regular plate, put 2 paper towels on it, thoroughly wet them down. Put a specific number of seeds on the wet towels, I like to use 25 for easy math. Put another paper towel over the top, push it down so the seeds have contact with the top and bottom. Pour off any excess water, and put it somewhere dark. Every day check to make sure it stays wet, and keep checking to see if any seeds have germinated. Within a week you'll see how good your seed still is.

qdmohio
06-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Where are you guys buying your Egyptian Wheat? I checked on the Welter Seed web site and didn't see any, although they have some forage sorghum seeds, which from what I've seen seem to provide similiar qualities/benefits as egyptian wheat. Any comments on that?

HabitatMD
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Forage sorghum and EW are one in the same in my opinion except EW gets 2-4' taller. If 6-8' will do, FS. If 8-12' is needed, EW.

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Where are you guys buying your Egyptian Wheat? I checked on the Welter Seed web site and didn't see any, although they have some forage sorghum seeds, which from what I've seen seem to provide similiar qualities/benefits as egyptian wheat. Any comments on that?

i bought mine from a local small town seed place. if you need some let me know....they sent some to people on the forums here.

Lickcreek
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM

I bought mine from Cooper Seed (http://www.cooperseeds.com/pages/quail/ssindividual.html) but shipping was almost as much as the seed! :eek:

EW is from the sorghum family but a little taller plant and smaller stem then most sorghums.

Forage sorghums will work but many tend to tip over sooner/worse then EW

I wouldn't be afraid to use a tall sorghum in lieu of EW if you could buy it locally and save shipping. ;)

dgallow
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
We are planning a new 1 ac plot next year on a P/A well pad created in the late 70's. The old road-bed needs a screen (about 50' wide) from the main road. Soil is rocky clay with low fertility but well drained. Groundhog could prolly till it enough to plant. How well will EW work in clay? Have also considered a russian olive hedge for something more permanent.

Lickcreek
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
It does well on my clay soils but I suspect you want to add some urea (nitrogen) in that type of poor soil ;)

BA14
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
My usual question.......

Anyone have any success planting in acidic soils? My ph is slightly above 5 in most fields. With a tight budget I am not sure how much lime I will have to go around this year.
Thanks

Lickcreek
06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
My usual question.......

Anyone have any success planting in acidic soils? My ph is slightly above 5 in most fields. With a tight budget I am not sure how much lime I will have to go around this year.
Thanks

I don't know for a fact but I suspect it will grow but not thrive. Cereal rye (winter rye) will grow on acidic soil but corn for instance doesn't thrive on low PH soils.

qdmohio
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
brutusbeefcakejr., can you give me the contact information for your local seed source for EW? Do you remember about how much it costs per pound?

deerlover
06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
How late can you plant this in your area? We bought some for this year as well, but too much rain has lead to zero planting so far. Eager to get out and get things ready and hope it is not too late.

HabitatMD
06-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I'd think you could still do OK with it. I'd try like heck to get it in before early July.

We bought ours locally and it was $60/50#. 50# goes a long darn ways though. Its good to split a bag with a few buddies.

Lickcreek
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
50# goes a long darn ways though. Its good to split a bag with a few buddies.

Heck we split it up and still had lots left over! ;) :D

I think it's going to dry out a bit so one could maybe plant this weekend, right now we still need a pontoon boat to get around over here...:rolleyes: :eek:

brutusbeefcakejr.
06-25-2009, 09:51 AM
brutusbeefcakejr., can you give me the contact information for your local seed source for EW? Do you remember about how much it costs per pound?

$1.25 per pound plus shipping. The place is called Wyatt Seed Co. (Petersburg IN) they shipped some to my cousin out in Ohio the other week...

#1-812-354-8541....

I tell ya..for the price.... the cover and sceening it creates is awesome.