PDA

View Full Version : corn/soybean seeed programs

bigeight
05-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Next year we plan to start planting a 2 acre chunk of our 67 acre ag field on the opposite rotation as the farmer for more diversity. When the farmer plants beans we'll have 2 acres of corn, then flip the next year.

I have been reading the forum for quit some time now and have heard a lot of places to get seed corn and beans, milo, sorghum, etc. for planting from different organizations NWTF, PF, and our local government programs.

I have done a little research and been striking out locally (not sure I'm looking in the right spot), and I am not a member of NWTF, or PF. What organizations/programs should I be looking at to save money on seed?

Lickcreek
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Next year we plan to start planting a 2 acre chunk of our 67 acre ag field on the opposite rotation as the farmer for more diversity. When the farmer plants beans we'll have 2 acres of corn, then flip the next year.

I have been reading the forum for quit some time now and have heard a lot of places to get seed corn and beans, milo, sorghum, etc. for planting from different organizations NWTF, PF, and our local government programs.

I have done a little research and been striking out locally (not sure I'm looking in the right spot), and I am not a member of NWTF, or PF. What organizations/programs should I be looking at to save money on seed?

I would join Pheasants Forever if I were you. Michigan has very active chapters and you cam find out where they are by calling the state PF biologist

Pheasants Forever (http://www.pheasantsforever.org/)

Hungry Wolf
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
PF has hooked me up pretty good the last couple of years. They (my chapter anyway) is very liberal with what they give out- Seed, trees, etc... If you do end up getting stuff from them just remember that when they are selling banquet tickets or fundraising as that is how they generate their revenue to supply all that. I think PF is unique in that the vast majority of money raised stays local and is used primarly to increase habitat quality.

Bodock
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm a member of quail unlimited and I bought brand name soybeans (QU is specific to not name the brand or any glyphosate resistance capability because Monsanto threw a fit) for $5 a bag, seed corn with similar traits for $8 a bag, milo for $5 a bag. How could I say no? I used Eagle beans last year and was happy with them but when you plant 20 acres of beans for deer that's a lot of $$$, especially when they never got higher than 4".

bigeight
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I always hear about buying it by the bag from these organizations. How much does a bag plant?

Bodock, sorry to hear about the 4" beans. What happened? Bad seed? or what?

MOdeer
05-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I always hear about buying it by the bag from these organizations. How much does a bag plant?

Bodock, sorry to hear about the 4" beans. What happened? Bad seed? or what?

Broadcast a bag will cover an acre, thinly. Drilled, about the same. 4" beans? Sounds like mine, the deer will eat them as fast as they will grow, sometimes even faster. Our secluded bean plots don't make a month past spraying in July. We use them to clean up areas to plant perennials in.

bigeight
05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
In the area that we are in, there are a LOT of crops and we are planting in a ag. field, we just want to leave them stand for a late season food source. We lose our beans in Sep. and our corn before the gun season. Need some grain left standing, we will have the only field left at the end of Nov.

Will these seeds do fine if they are in an area that has a ton of ag around, and don't get pounded during the growing season? Or are these a "weaker" seed than used for farming?