PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Soybeans

RJ in LA
05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I Usually Plant My Soybeans And Iron Clay Peas With A Two Row Planter With 30 Inch Spacing And It Gives Me Good Field Coverage. This Year I Have Had So Much Rain That I Will Not Be Able To Plant For At Least Two More Weeks. I Am Thinking About Mixing I / C Peas, Soybeans And Grain Sorghum And Drilling It With My Drill Which Has 7 Inch Spacings. I Am Worried About The Rows Being That Close Together And I Am Wondering It Any Of You Drill Your Soybeans And If So How Many Lbs Per Acre. Thanks For The Help. Ricky

Agronomist1
05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, a lot of people drill them, even for production. Rows are a little better, the reason we don't plant them in rows is because there is not a lot of corn in our area so only a few of our farmers have planters. We seed them at 180,000 seeds per acre. I would bump this up for a food plot because they will hammer them early. If your beans are 3000 seeds per lbs., I would seed about 80 lbs. (or 240,000 seeds per acre.

Travis

Agronomist1
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I apparently didn't pay close attention to your original post. My recommendation is for soybeans by themselves. I have never mixed those crops together before.

AaronS
05-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Also, a lot of people tape over or cover some of the holes on a drill to achieve more spacing between rows.

Ironhunter
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Beans in 30" rows are not neccesarily the best. Quite often the main reason they are planted that way is the planter spacing is set up for corn. I prefer a drill because its closer spacing allows the beans to canopy over sooner, therefore saving soil moisture , shading out weed competition and in the case of erodable land(slopes) it can help prevent erosion. In a dry year this is critical. 180,000 seeds per acre sounds about right.

NW Arkansas Drew
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I recommend planting WGF sorghum, laredo soybeans, and iron clay cow peas together. It's specifically recommended to plant these in a mix in our guiding book Quality Food Plots. The Laredo Soybeans are a forage bean. We plant them using a no-till drill rented from our local NRSC office, and plant a mix of 9 Lbs sorghum and 25 Lbs peas per acre with outstanding results.

If you mix clover in with the mix, you'll have an outstanding clover plot next spring, anf the clover fixes nitrogen for the sorghum to use. Great 9 month food plot with this technique.
Drew

RJ in LA
05-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Adding The Clover Sounds Like A Great Idea But I'm Not Sure Which Clovers That I Could Plant In June In Southeast Alabama And Have It Survive Our Hot Dry Summers.

BenGrowing
05-29-2009, 02:00 PM
All of my soybean planting is done with a drill. In areas with high deer densities, I mix 80 to 90 pounds of soybeans with 8 to 10 pounds of sorghum per acre. I'll usually throw in a couple of pounds of brown top millet and a couple of pounds of sunflowers for some variety. Once the beans and sunflowers are eaten, the sorghum keeps going and provides a good late summer food and winter cover.

I've planted a mix of I/C peas (50 lbs/acre) with the sorghum and sunflowers in areas with low deer densities and have found that the peas are very aggressive and will pull down the sorghum and sunflowers and I'll lose that food and cover for the winter. But if you have high densities, this shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't think the clover would have much of a chance as a spring/summer planting in the South, but you can always throw some random warm season annuals in the mix and see how they grow. I have more fun experimenting from year to year and seeing what works best.