PDA

View Full Version : LOW PH Choices?

Buck Skinner
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
My test results are in and the ph is very low (4.3-4.6). I am looking for some options to plant on some trails. Mostly for erosion control but any benefit for wildlife is a +.

Birdsfoot trefoil was suggested but the ph seems low for it. Not too concerned about yield. I have at add ALOT of lime to my plots (prime concern right now) so I was looking for something I could plant on the trails that wouldn't need as much (if any) lime.

Any help would be great!

banc123
05-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow, thats low. Buckwheat and rye maybe

sagittarius
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
winter rye, alsike clover, birdsfoot trefoil.

Buck Skinner
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I was planning on trefoil until I got the results back. Will it still germinate with the Ph that low? I wil be adding lime but it will take some time for the #'s to come up. Will it still give me some growth?

sagittarius
05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Will it still germinate with the Ph that low? I wil be adding lime but it will take some time for the #'s to come up. Will it still give me some growth?Maybe, try it, you don't have many options.

dko
05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Buckskinner,

Two thoughts for you. Rye will almost certainly give you some growth. Doesn't do too badly in filtered sunlight areas. Had a decent stand in a small plot that started with a ph of 5.1. Not quite as low as yours but could give you a point of reference.

If you broadcasted a little pelletized lime it might have a little quicker impact on your ph. I know there's some debate on that topic but it has worked for us. You could then broadcast your rye and alsike together and see it one of them would take.

Finally, you might check welter's for some straight grass seed like timothy.
I've never been a big fan of putting food on the trails I want to travel. Less chances i'll influence deer by my own travel.
dko

John C.
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Cowpeas will grow just fine in low ph soils, one of my foodplots had a ph of 3.9 when I first started. It grew cowpeas and sorghum just fine.