PDA

View Full Version : Would you...

bowhunter1023
05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Do some hinge-cutting this time of year to help increase your bedding oppurtunities?

Let me give you some back ground...

I live in the largest land mass county in Ohio. I have close to 2,000 acres of private land to hunt and it varies greatly in terrain, habitat, and herd quality. Out of all that land, perhaps my best spot is the 11 acres behind my parents house. While it is still rural, it has a suburban feel to it when you are hunting. In the past two years, my father has fenced off 2 acres of the best bedding in the entire area for his cows. Meanwhile, the neighboring farm was subdivided and a four-wheeler track has eaten away at most of what was left in that bedding area. There are a few isolated pockets no bigger than 200-300 square feet that seem to hold deer these days. (I killed a 5.5 year old buck that was bedding within 50 yards of two new houses in one of these spots this fall.)

What I am starting to notice is the deer still bedding close to the area they used to, but are using a hillside I used to use as my access route. This hillside is covered in brush this time of year, but gets a little thin in the winter. Yesterday while hanging a camera on a trail leading from this area to open pasture, I jumped at least 3 deer from this spot. This is maybe a 1/4 acre spot that I feel could be made into a good bedding area with some chainsaw work. However, I'm a little apprehensive about doing that work this time of year. Would you take that risk or spend another year observing how the deer are using our land after the drastic changes and then make a move?

Thanks in advance for the responses...

bigeight
05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I think I would hinge cut Red Maples this time of year if you had them in the area that you are thinking of. The maple's will stump sprout even if you can't get the tops to stay alive, not much of a risk with that species. They create a nice bedding area and good brows when they resprout. IMO.

Bob S
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
My answer pertains primarily to Red Maple because that is what I have on my property. I hinge cut all through the year. If you can use the increased cover now, I don't see a reason not to create it now.

These trees were hinged on the 4th of July.

criggster
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Do it now if you want to there is no harm in it. I did some hinge cutting the weekend before last with good results. I cut maple, hophornbeam, poplar, ash, elm, and red cedar.

bowhunter1023
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Sounds like I should get a new chain on the Stihl and go to town. Thanks fellas...