PDA

View Full Version : Resources for RR CORN/SOY BEANS BROADCASTED

WesternNY
05-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Guys, Things are finally coming together for me to get my large plot in.

I am looking for links/resources for learning how to plant Round up Ready corn and soybeans by broadcasting.

I have 6 acres total. I want to plant 2-3 acres of corn/soybean. I have 2 free bags of RR corn.

I have sent a soil test out, waiting for results. The other 3 acres I plan on planting clover.

Any info you might have or links to further info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Lickcreek
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Guys, Things are finally coming together for me to get my large plot in.

I am looking for links/resources for learning how to plant Round up Ready corn and soybeans by broadcasting.

I have 6 acres total. I want to plant 2-3 acres of corn/soybean. I have 2 free bags of RR corn.

I have sent a soil test out, waiting for results. The other 3 acres I plan on planting clover.

Any info you might have or links to further info would be appreciated.
Thanks

I should have everything you need to know in my thread on planting corn and soybeans. The only thing I have not done is broadcasted corn (I frequently broadcast soybeans) but all the basics are the same. Just stay to the low end of the planting rates for broadcasted corn.

Check out my thread, look over the pics and info on planting rates, spraying , tillage etc and if I'm missing something send me a PM and I'll try to help you out and incorporate the missing info into the thread. :)

Growing corn and soybeans (http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=711)

I have grown RR corn and soys together and seperatly so I hope I have covered all bases in that thread. ;)

WesternNY
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks, i will give it a read and let you know.

I think Ed Spinazzola's book has info about broadcasting corn, but it is at work...... cough ( I would never read and get paid, cough) :D

and then I just read the threada about RR sugarbeats.... ah the fun.

sugar beets, corn, soybean, clover.... sounds like a good start

Born Hunter
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I will agree with the above advice to keep towards the lower end of the seeding rates for the corn. Last year we used out 2 row planter (one to eagle forage beans, rr corn in the other) to plant and we also broadcast corn and beans together.

Given not all the corn and beans were planted in the same quality of soil it seemed that the deer spent more time in the broadcasted area. Furthermore, the areas with a slightly less concentration of broadcasted corn (unintentional) had better corn growth, with most plants producing 2 ears whereas the thicker corn did not always produce an ear and very few produced 2 ears.

We were trying to create some screens to break up a 10 acre field and the ears were an added bonus. 15 yards wide seemed to be plenty of corn to create a sufficient travel corridor/screen.

Good luck, have fun.