PDA

View Full Version : poast plus

matt johnson
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I ordered some poast plus and sprayed last weekend, since then read the post, poast vs, and all bad reports about poast plus. I sprayed when grasses was about 8in tall will the poast kill the grass or have I wasted 200$? I also would like to know if I need to get a soil sample for switch grass with it being a native grass? Where the switch grass will be sowed this Feb what could I sow in the field this fall to help keep the seed in place since it is on a pretty good slope, rr beans this summer. Thank you

Agronomist1
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Poast or Poast Plus works. Many people on this site prefer clethodim (including myself). Select and generic clethodim just seem to have more punch behind them on hard to control grasses. I don't know what kind of grasses you are going after, but I'm sure you will see some kind of control.

Travis

Lickcreek
04-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I ordered some poast plus and sprayed last weekend, since then read the post, poast vs, and all bad reports about poast plus. I sprayed when grasses was about 8in tall will the poast kill the grass or have I wasted 200$? I also would like to know if I need to get a soil sample for switch grass with it being a native grass? Where the switch grass will be sowed this Feb what could I sow in the field this fall to help keep the seed in place since it is on a pretty good slope, rr beans this summer. Thank you

I won't say that Poast never works but often results are poor and in many cases here in Iowa I have seen it properly applied and it did nothing at all, so hopeflly you'll have better luck with yours but please let us know how it works out for you.

Switchgrass can grow under a wide variety of soil conditions but it will thrive if P&K and PH levels are brough tup to par.

You could broadcast rye in the standing beans and then clip it the following spring. It has a great root system and will hold the soil really well. If you were tilling it up in late August I would plant oast because when it freezes it will leave a nice mulch and you don't have to clip the following spring. Oats often does not germinate as well on bare ground as winter rye however,:)