PDA

View Full Version : Brassicas coming back in the spring? Help ...

WNY Tony
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I planted a 1/3 acre plot with brassicas and durana clover this past fall. The deer ate most of the tops off of the brassicas, but not the bulbs. The tops were maybe 2-3" tall a month ago. I went back to check on the durana, and was surprised to see the brassicas 18" tall ... :confused:

So I mowed some of them a week ago hoping that would kill the brassicas, but they seem to be growing again. I thought these were annuals, and didn't expect to have to deal with them this spring. What can I do to get rid of them without killing the Durana that is coming in nicely under it?

Thanks.

smsmith
04-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I planted a 1/3 acre plot with brassicas and durana clover this past fall. The deer ate most of the tops off of the brassicas, but not the bulbs. The tops were maybe 2-3" tall a month ago. I went back to check on the durana, and was surprised to see the brassicas 18" tall ... :confused:

So I mowed some of them a week ago hoping that would kill the brassicas, but they seem to be growing again. I thought these were annuals, and didn't expect to have to deal with them this spring. What can I do to get rid of them without killing the Durana that is coming in nicely under it?

Thanks.

Mow them as low as you can. I have this happen every year. If I don't want to kill everytyhing else (like your Durana) then I mow them early. Some will still make it. I let them grow until they are almost ready to bloom and then mow them low. That has always taken care of them for me.

Must have had good snow cover last year, eh? Mine won't do that if we don't get good snow cover to protect the bulbs.

jaytee
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
You planted the brassicas for a food source, correct? And now that they are growing your wanting to kill them, correct? WHY? Are you wanting a picture perfect clover plot? Food is food, let the deer take care of them, if they dont, all they will do is turn into organic matter and help the soil.

WNY Tony
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Jaytee, bear with me as I am new to the food plot game, but from what I understand, spring brassicas are not palatable to deer. They require a good frost before the deer will eat them.

I am not looking for picture perfect anything, but if the deer won't eat the brassicas in the spring, I don't want them to grow to 3' tall, rank, and rot in 90 degree weather this summer, etc, etc. I think I will just mow them down low and call it a day.

smsmith
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
You planted the brassicas for a food source, correct? And now that they are growing your wanting to kill them, correct? WHY? Are you wanting a picture perfect clover plot? Food is food, let the deer take care of them, if they dont, all they will do is turn into organic matter and help the soil.

Brassicas can become problematic if they are in a perennial plot. Just like wild mustard or yellow rocket, they are prolific. Allow them to go to seed and you'll be fighting them in a perennial plot for years.

HabitatMD
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Just mow whenever they start flowering and you should get decent control. You may have some come up this fall, but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Also, typically the summer heat will take care of quite a few round these parts.

sagittarius
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Jaytee, bear with me as I am new to the food plot game, but from what I understand, spring brassicas are not palatable to deer. They require a good frost before the deer will eat them. That is generally true, but not always. It depends on the deer population, plot location, and quality of available habitat. If the deer are desparate enough, they may eat brassicas all summer.

I am not looking for picture perfect anything, but if the deer won't eat the brassicas in the spring, I don't want them to grow to 3' tall, rank, and rot in 90 degree weather this summer, etc, etc. I think I will just mow them down low and call it a day. that could happen. The brassicas are trying to complete their annual cycle. They want to flower, set seed, drop their seed ... and die by fall. If your brassicas are planted too thick with the clover ... they will shade out much of the clover.

robert lawson
04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Just mow---every thing will fall into place:)

qdm4me
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks.

yeah, I tried the Whitetail Inst. "Double Cross" last fall, and the brassicas in them are comming back up this spring, - noticed last weekend.. :rolleyes:

D Hunter
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As above mentioned you are growing your own seed for more brassicas this fall. You could just wait until the seed pods are dry this summer and mow them then. You just did your fall seeding of brassicas for the hunting season. If you mow it now you will cut down on the seeding for the fall. Not a big deal either way. Mostly ours do not survive the the deer damage of the winter. Good hunting. "D"