PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting turkey

IanHuntsNY
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I have never tried to hunt Turkey with the bow is there any advice that you guys could give me. Blinds, Broadheads, decoys???? Anything will help like i said this will be my first year go after them with the bow.

chipshot
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Ian, I find where the turkeys are roosting,strutting and feeding....basically try to get their daily routine down.I then build blinds out of natural materials in good areas for calling.Since I hunt with a longbow,the blind is necessary to conceal my draw.I've heard of compound guys getting behind a large tree to call.As the turkey approaches, the draw is made as the tree is between hunter and turkey...then wait at full draw till the shot presents.Our turkeys seem to be wary of out-of-place pop-up blinds.

robert lawson
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
When every thing is right --almost any set up will work. But we know that very seldom is it that easy. I like pop up blinds that have been put up a week or two before season. Just me but I like to brush them in a little. I like black interior and dark clothing. Don't open to many windows at one time. Don't get caught moving. Hens will bust ya every time. :D

IanHuntsNY
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah i would like to know how the turkeys around my area react to pop up blinds i have never hunted out of a blind so i would be interested to see.

IanHuntsNY
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Thank you for the advice. What type of broadheads do you guys use or do you use the same that you use for deer?

UFi911
04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I've only hunted turkeys 4 seasons. 3 of those seasons I had an awesome spot that I knew where the birds would be roosting every morning. I would setup the blind in the dark, with a couple of decoys out in front of it.

3 years in a row the birds came off roost, walked across the field to me in the blind, and I shot a nice tom. The 3rd year I had my bow and drilled it. Same broadhead I use for deer.

I'm fairly sure I was lucky to find that setup and it isn't always that easy. But I can say for sure those birds could have cared less about my blind. It was honestly too easy so I quit doing it. I'm going to try turkey hunting this spring on my QDM for the 1st time. Maybe it will give me a little humble pie!

-John

IanHuntsNY
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I've only hunted turkeys 4 seasons. 3 of those seasons I had an awesome spot that I knew where the birds would be roosting every morning. I would setup the blind in the dark, with a couple of decoys out in front of it.

3 years in a row the birds came off roost, walked across the field to me in the blind, and I shot a nice tom. The 3rd year I had my bow and drilled it. Same broadhead I use for deer.

I'm fairly sure I was lucky to find that setup and it isn't always that easy. But I can say for sure those birds could have cared less about my blind. It was honestly too easy so I quit doing it. I'm going to try turkey hunting this spring on my QDM for the 1st time. Maybe it will give me a little humble pie!

-John

Hmm not too sure any of my spots are like that. But im def gonna try to smack on with the bow this year.

Scott Lyon
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I have never had birds where I hunt react negatively to a pop up blind.....ever! Nothing is easy about bow hunting turkeys but if your gonna try....I would suggest using a pop up blind with decoys about 15 to 20 yards away. Wear dark clothing inside the blind and make sure you don't have all your blind windows open. Keep the ones to your backside closed to help conceal movement. Good Luck!

IanHuntsNY
04-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I have never had birds where I hunt react negatively to a pop up blind.....ever! Nothing is easy about bow hunting turkeys but if your gonna try....I would suggest using a pop up blind with decoys about 15 to 20 yards away. Wear dark clothing inside the blind and make sure you don't have all your blind windows open. Keep the ones to your backside closed to help conceal movement. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. Hopefully i can get lucky this year.

banc123
04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Just remember.....

High they die and low they go.

Its not as easy as it seems. I stuck a tom this fall right through the side of the chest with an expandable broad head and much to my dismay, I watched him run off with the green notch visible from one side and the broad head expanded and +1/2 the shaft sticking out the other side. I searched for hours and never found him.

Do some research on the kill zone and make sure you have a reasonable shot. Mine was 18 yards and I had what I thought was a perfect shot. They don't sit as still as a deer either, at least for me.

bhanks55
04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
DARN sure to review your anatomy/shot placement. They heart is what you are aiming at and it just doesnt seem like it ought to be where it really is!!!

I also recommend the same as above. Except I like to put my dekes about 10 yards or less from my blind and a strutter jake FACING ME. A gobbler will almost universally walk up the jake head to head and can even have their fan to you (which is perfect-shoot at base of fan)

WEAR BLACK!! NOT CAMO. FULL FACEMASK!
you can still get busted but alot harder that way.

IanHuntsNY
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
DARN sure to review your anatomy/shot placement. They heart is what you are aiming at and it just doesnt seem like it ought to be where it really is!!!

I also recommend the same as above. Except I like to put my dekes about 10 yards or less from my blind and a strutter jake FACING ME. A gobbler will almost universally walk up the jake head to head and can even have their fan to you (which is perfect-shoot at base of fan)

WEAR BLACK!! NOT CAMO. FULL FACEMASK!
you can still get busted but alot harder that way.

I was reading up on shot placement and they did talk about shooting at a bird facing away is a great shot to aim at the bottom of the fan while they are strutting. Thanks for the advice

IanHuntsNY
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Have any of you guys tried the head shot broadheads like the gobbler guillotine or the bullhead the videos on them sure are impressive but then again i would like to hear some real stories about them.

Scott Lyon
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
My cousin hunted a few years with the Gobbler Guilliotine. I imagine if you have a good 20 yard shot they work fine. However, my cousin shot a bird right at the base of the head where it joins the neck and got no penetration at all. The broadhead causes the arrow to drop considerably at anything over 20 yards as well. I think they work, but for me....I go with the regular broadheads.

robert lawson
04-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Why buy longer shafts--different heads--re tune--when your already set up for tea cup shooting at 30 yds. or less. Use what you use for deer. Placement is the key.:D