PDA

View Full Version : Strange PA Shed I found

54PAacres
04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Last night while walking down the road with my daughter and youngest boy, I spied this old shed laying in the brush along a small stream, the stream has been running high for the last two months and finally is back to normal flow. I do not think the shed was lost in that brush, but was brought downstream by the high waters of Spring. The stream comes down thru a valley that has some hunting camps along it and also winds its way out of over 14,000+ acres of stateland.
Anyway, as soon as I picked this up, the rack configuration spoke “mule deer” to me. Obviously we do not have mule deer in PA so unless it was some décor or something at one of those camps and a critter stole it and then it got washed downstream..this is from a whitetail.

Wish it was in better shape, a few years old and really in bad shape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/RoosterBooster/2009/DSCF0006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/RoosterBooster/2009/DSCF0003.jpg

Here is the shed, with the valley it came out of in the background.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/RoosterBooster/2009/DSCF0007.jpg

Have you guys seen this kind of G2 split on a whitetail?? Older bucks with heavy racks are kind of new in these parts...:) , so I don't know what to think.

54PAacres
04-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Just a couple more pics of it. They really do no justice to the height and mass of this thing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/RoosterBooster/2009/DSCF0004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/RoosterBooster/2009/DSCF0005.jpg

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to repair the splits and maybe clean it up and preserve it???

Jeff Pike
04-02-2009, 05:19 PM
RB awesome shed!! You sure its not a whitetail? The tiny brow does tend to lean towards mulie.
maybe it hitched a ride on the PGC. mountain Lion stocking truck??
I know you can fix the cracked tine and you can restore the natural color by boiling some water, put a few tea bags in it and soak the antler in the tea for a while
My mom came up with this I Idea when I was 12 and shot my 1st buck, she stuck the rack in the dishwasher and it took all the color out of the antlers and skull plate.
She knew she better do something and quick considering she just ruined the most cherished posession of my young life and came up with staining them with tea. And to this day 27 years later they look like they did when the buck was wearing them.
I use this method to restore the color of my older sheds. Pike

HabitatMD
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Impressive for sure. Saw one last year, although not nearly that big, that had split G2's forked about that deep on both sides just like a mulie rack. Quite possible and I'm not sure how a mulie antler would wind up in your neck of the woods.

USFWC
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks like a whitetail antler to me...bump/bead/knob pattern at the base is usually a dead giveaway about whether a deer is a mulie or a whitetail. Mulies' patterns tend to 'wrap around' the antler and whitetails' patterns tend to go up and down the main beam. Definitely looks like a mulie with those short brows and rack configuration though. Cool find! :)

MDuffy
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Looks like a mulie to me.

AaronS
04-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, I've seen split G2s on whitetails before. Great find....congrats.

QDMAV8R
04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
my first impression was mulie too...especially the bend in the main beams below the g2..note the pic

OHletemgrow
04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I've only ever found one shed like that one before. It was exactly the same just a bit smaller.

aerospacefarmer
04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
We dont have mulie's in PA...has to be a whitetail and a very big one !!

Token_Lake
04-03-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm going to post that pic on the game land's up at our place with directions to your place. maybe then it won't sound like WW II up there this year. :D

not knowing much about where it came from you could guess all day long and not be right. I've seen buck's with a split rack like that but in your area ? i would have to say it's a transplant from somewhere else and possibly someone's mulie rattling antler they dropped.

mod15
04-03-2009, 03:08 AM
If it isnt a mulie it sure looks like one. But in PA would have to be whiteteil just has to be.

5 Stroke
04-03-2009, 06:24 AM
54PAacres,
Unique shed !!! Talk about a coincidence, my girlfriend was down in south/central Illinois yesterday and found a right-sided shed that comes awful darned close to being an EXACT duplicate of what you have. I was thinking mulie for a split second, but that would be impossible. My camera is at work, when I get a chance I will post pics.
Her shed has some slight chewing and quite a few cracks, so it is obvious that it has been laying in the woods for quite a while.

5 Stroke

Anderson
04-03-2009, 07:51 AM
That shed looks very old...could have been hanging on someone's barn the past 20 years. Impossible to know where it may have come from originally.
Still, neat to find it especially with the kids!!

54PAacres
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
To show you guys the true size of this thing i took some pics this morning with it next to a 13" spread whitetail rack I have and got off that same public land parcel (hey it was before PA went AR, it was real shooter back then ..LOL) . Unfrotunately I will have to load those pics up tonight...

When I put it next to that rack though, this thing really speaks mulie to me. It is just TOO big and too different in configuration in beam (grows up not really out and around) for me to fathom that this is a whitetail.

I am going to walk up to those camps this weekend and look around to see if it may of washed down from the ground around one of them. if it did, least they will get it back.

Jeff Pike
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Here is 2 pics of from our property in OH. the 1st one is my buddy Kerry's buck that looked just like a mulie and very similar to 54 acres shed and the 2nd is a shed I found a few years ago that scored just over 80 inches depsite having a broken off G-3 and a chewd off G-4. Pike
http://www.ohiosportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Kerrys10pt.JPG
http://www.ohiosportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Ohio_shed.jpg

54PAacres
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Pike,

Those are sweet, maybe the problem here in me signing off on my find being a whitetail is that I just have not seen enough BIG whitetail racks in my life... :) ...I mean I think about em and dream about them, try to grow them, but I just don't see enough of em ...LOL.

I might need a field trip to your place in Ohio...

pa bowhunter
04-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Very unique! I would think that one would carry that feature on his new growth.

npaden
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I've seen a few whitetail antlers like that before. (Not many, but a few)

If it were in an area with Mule deer it might be tough to decide who it came off, but in Pennsylvania I would definely saw it came off a whitetail.

54PAacres
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
If this is indeed a shed from a deer I found I obviously agree...but since I found it in the creek and it likely washed down there my only other thought fo mulie is that it fell off someone's out building or something upstream.

Has been an interesting couple days of thinking about this to say the least...

Tap
04-04-2009, 06:28 PM
My buddy found an ELK shed in a part of Pa that doesn't have any elk (that shed is in my gameroom) No telling how it ended up in N.W. Venango county. We are guessing that a dog or something stole it from someone's porch.