PDA

View Full Version : lime then buckwheat

wrdabney
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I am planning on liming about an acre plot within the next two weeks. how long should i wait before it would be ok to plant some buckwheat in the plot. Would it be ok to just let the lime sit for a few weeks then plant some buckwheat? wont buckwheat help the soil quality anyway? or, should i just let the lime sit and wait to plant something in the fall?

Token_Lake
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
you should till in the lime if possible which i'm assuming you can't ?

I don't think the lime is going to effect the buckwheat much. spread the seed and drag it in and it should be ok. it'll help move the lime around as well and get it in the soil some.

wrdabney
03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
i can disc it in. is that what you mean?

Token_Lake
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
yes, you need to disc, plow, etc. lime into the soil some so it doesn't just blow away and it does much better in the soil than on the soil. more contact area to work with than just the top inch. if you can do that you can spread the buckwheat same day and just lightly disc it in or run a drag over it or cultipacker.

wrdabney
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
ok thanks. im glad to know this will work. im getting pelletized lime because i dont have access to the plot for a powder truck.. would it be ok to just spread the lime and the buckwheat then disc them both in? how deep does buckwheat need to be?

Token_Lake
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I would work the lime in first, then the buckwheat. the buckwheat doesn't need to be deep at all, just has to make contact. lime, disc, spread buckwheat, then one or 2 passes with that disc should be plenty.

sagittarius
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Lime should be incorporated to normal soil tilling depth when ever needed. That could be 7" or 2", what ever depth you run your disk. Lime should be incorporated before planting any plot/crop, if possible.

Buckwheat will do fine planted 1/2" to 1" deep, as soon as the soil is warm enough.