PDA

View Full Version : Threat to (MD) QDM Goals...

fshafly2
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Gabe Karns gave a research paper at the Southeast Deer Study Group meeting in Roanoke two weeks ago on a "brain abscess" that is affecting mature MD bucks. A bacterium (A. pryogenes) is commonly found in nasal passages of bucks on MD's Eastern Shore. (I don't think he found the bacteria on the King Ranch in Texas.) When bucks injure themselves, the bacteria can colonize the skull sutures and penetrate into the crainial cavity, causing death. Gabe found that 35% (!) of the mature bucks he gps-collared (DuPont's Chesapeake Farm in MD) died from brain abcess.

Shed antlers from infected bucks can show irregular erosion on the base, and include pus and portions of the skull. Not much else is known about the extent of the disease or its history. Several MD shed hunters and bowhunters have since collaborated on another website (http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/marylandwhitetail/vpost?id=3331097) that the disease may have been around for a while. One would think as hunters let more young bucks walk, that the more mature bucks would engage in fighting that leads to serious injury and subsequent infection. Brain abscess may be (??) limiting the numbers of mature bucks. Gabe said "I think the brain abscess will continue to shed light on mysterious natural mortality that people have written off for years as “he must of died from old age.”"

Just a heads up on a new and developing story.

Find any unusual sheds this year?

-fsh

bush hill
03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
i remember quality whitetails had an article on brain abscess's a few years ago. around that time i shot a 2 1/2 year old buck and had european mount done. when i got it back i noticed a strange spot on the skull of that buck and also that the antler's were kind of flaking a little. also the meat on the deer was horrible. i butcher my own deer and mark everything very well and ended up throwing out all of the meat from that deer and i assume that because that deer had the abscess was the reason the venison was so bad, maybe a coinsidence though.