PDA

View Full Version : Foot plot alternatives

txbowhunter
02-15-2009, 02:03 PM
We just acquired a new lease for next and i was thinking about enhancing some native browse instead of food plots. We have a very large winter wheat field on the south side of the property and the Brazos River on one side. I figured the deer would be traveling through most of place to and from the Wheat field. I thought about putting in a few smaller plots(2 acres or less) in a few existing openings. We have no cattle, so I wouldn't have to fence anything off. Since there are no cattle, we have a lot of thick vegetation. I thought I might just mow and fertilize some of the grassy areas instead of planting a bunch of plots. Is there a better time to mow and lightly disc to encourage native browse? What other thoughts do you guys have?

Thanks

Token_Lake
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I think the best time to mow is as early as possible before thing's green up. once it's green you can't see what your doing and it's already crowded out anything else.

you could dig across that river bottom and make your own island,,, after chasing all the deer onto it. Is that still considered fair chase since technically there's no fence's ? :D