PDA

View Full Version : Low budget food plot advice?

Dano
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Hello everyone,
I have picked out about a 1.5 acre area of weedfield I would like to put into a food plot, I had a soil test done for bilogic clover plus, current ph is 5.8, they recomended 3 tons of lime, and 200lb of 0-20-20 per acre.

I am starting to rethink this due to a low budget, is their anything I can plant in poor soil that will attract deer? I am interested in trefoil? other options?

Equipment I have to work with: 8n ford tractor, 5.5' disk, I can borrow a subsoiler and spreader.

Thanks for your help.

Nova
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
you could try Buckwheat, grows in marginal soil and some deer love it others not so much, but it will really help your soil when disced in for another crop.

woodsman324
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Remember, that clover plot will be there for 4-5 years if you take care of it and you can buy a generic clover seed for a lot less than the one with a deer on the bag. Pretty hard to do anything cheap. Buckwheat? Yes I love it and it will grow on a sidewalk but its limited usage for deer food probably can't compare to clover. I would spend the money on the lime and plant durana clover.

HunterDan
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Winter Rye is quite cheap and grows well in most soils. Liming is a good idea no matter what you plant though, and will save you money on fertilizer in the long run.

bronco
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
If it is purely a budget issue, can you take 1/3 of the field and work it now and do the rest as you get the funding? You could plow the entire field since you have the equipment and let the unplanted portion come back as native browse. If I was planting to purely attract deer, I think I would rather go smaller and something they really prefer rather than a larger, unpreferred choice.

Token_Lake
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
at minimum i would apply some sort of lime to that. even if you don't fertilize it the lime definitely help's break down whatever else is there for the plant's to grow on. buckwheat is only .50/lb and you should seed about 50#/acre. for less than about $200 you could have a nice stand of buckwheat. like stated also, you could plant the clovers and they will continue to come back over the year's and you will only need to apply lime and fert. accordingly next year, which " should " be less.

Dano
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
How do I go about finding bulk lime in my area? It would be no problem getting a lime truck to the plot, I just don't know where to get it in my area.

Sweet November
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
We are in a somewhat similar situation. We plan on liming and planting forage only for the hunting season. That means spraying in summer to control vegetation and then plantings of hunting season forage. You could plant 50% of the field in brassicas, if bought at a local co-op and mixed will only run ya about 30 bucks/acre. DER & PTT would work fine. The other half of the field could be in field rye, which will run you under $50 an acre. In central Wisconsin those two plantings would occur about 1 month apart. The brassicas in late July and the cereal grain in late August. The combination would be sure to draw some deer to your set up and won't break the bank...

Craig

Edit: Dano - Google search ag lime for your area...should get some hits.

dprogers
01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Go to one of the local farm and fertilizer supply store or call your county extention agent and they can tell you the best source for lime.

bhanks55
01-29-2009, 02:35 PM
How do I go about finding bulk lime in my area? It would be no problem getting a lime truck to the plot, I just don't know where to get it in my area.

your local Co-op or agricultural supplier if you have one. If not, you could try the state extension service. I am sure they could point you in the right direction.

Token_Lake
ask a local farmer, if anyone know's who's better and how much it's them. search the yellow page's,, or find a local Co-op extension or Feed and Seed company.

some time's it's also cheaper to rent a dump trailer or truck or get it yourself in a pick-up. the hourly fee here is $90/truck on top of the cost of lime, plus delivery. :eek:

bhanks55
beat me too it I see.:D

OHBuck
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Is there such a thing?:confused: It seem like you can't do anything cheap any more.

Jeff Pike
01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Dano since we have already planted every inch that has good soil on my property in OH. we did 3 test plots in area's that had poor soil and had PH. levels ranging from 5.5-5.8
We planted on Sept 6th and only received less than a tenth of an inch of rain for the 1st three weeks, but then it rained alot and the plots filled in and the deer hammered them all fall.
We over seeded Buck Forage Oats, put down 100 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer and didnt add any lime and to our suprise they turned out great even with such little rain during the 1st three weeks, luckily the temps stayed pretty warm well into October. The pic. below is of one of the plots before the rain started to fall on a regular basis. Pikehttp://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3131/1000056tg7.jpg

ROS VEGAS
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
If wanted to do something on the cheap.....

I'd mow the field, then when regrowth starts, spray it with round up and that's it.

What comes back will be a mix...and tender. I get lots of clover when I do this.

That is about as cheap as I think you can get.

zcat
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Biologic green patch plus is rather cheap. Mostly wheat,oats and some brassica some clover. It worked great for me this year,but the only draw back ,you have to replant year after year. But im dealing with much smaller plots.

zcat
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Here is a pic of my green patch plus.

Dano
01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks guy's, the county extension office was very helpful, they got me in touch with a guy that will deliver and spread lime for $25 a ton, lots cheaper than I thought it would be, looks like I will go ahead with the lime.

bhanks55
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks guy's, the county extension office was very helpful, they got me in touch with a guy that will deliver and spread lime for $25 a ton, lots cheaper than I thought it would be, looks like I will go ahead with the lime.

Good move. You will NEVER regret that.

sagittarius
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Hello everyone, I have picked out about a 1.5 acre area of weedfield I would like to put into a food plot, I had a soil test done for bilogic clover plus, current ph is 5.8, they recomended 3 tons of lime, and 200lb of 0-20-20 per acre. Interesting that your soil deficiency requirements is 40 lbs of phosphorus and 40 lbs of potassium per acre. What are the odds of that?! ;) Consider making 3 different plots, and plan a 3 to 6 year rotation out.

I am starting to rethink this due to a low budget, is their anything I can plant in poor soil that will attract deer? I am interested in trefoil? other options? Below a PH of 6, lime is more important than any fertilizer. Alsike clover, birdsfoot trefoil, winter rye are your friends.

Equipment I have to work with: 8n ford tractor, 5.5' disk, I can borrow a subsoiler and spreader. A sprayer of some type is always number one priority. JMHO

Dano
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Interesting that your soil deficiency requirements is 40 lbs of phosphorus and 40 lbs of potassium per acre. What are the odds of that?! ;) Consider making 3 different plots, and plan a 3 to 6 year rotation out.

Below a PH of 6, lime is more important than any fertilizer. Alsike clover, birdsfoot trefoil, winter rye are your friends.

A sprayer of some type is always number one priority. JMHO

The actual numbers on the Biologic report were: 120lbs of phosphate per acre, and 40lbs potash per acre, they listed 0-20-20 as one of the recomended fertilizers.

I'm looking at atv sprayers now, will be my next implement purchase, I have a few others on the "want" list.

MOdeer
01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Dano,
Did you happen to ask the extension office guy if they knew of any free seed programs? I'm about to send an email to the private land consultant for my county here in MO. Last year I got a 50 lb bag of RR soybean seed from the for free. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.

E_308
01-30-2009, 12:08 PM
NRCS office has free seed for food plots in the spring. That is where I usually get my milo. If I remember right last year they had milo, millet, forage sorgrum, and sunflowers. I usually just till up the dirt and throw it out, no lime or fert. deer still eat it. Then again it goes in some decent dirt. I give them a call around the first of April to see when it is coming in.

Dano
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Dano,
Did you happen to ask the extension office guy if they knew of any free seed programs? I'm about to send an email to the private land consultant for my county here in MO. Last year I got a 50 lb bag of RR soybean seed from the for free. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.

He did not recomend the commercial deer seeds, said they were overpriced, and just refered me to a local feed store, didn't mention any free seed programs.

E_308
what is the NRCS office?

bhanks55
01-30-2009, 01:49 PM
E_308
what is the NRCS office?

Ditto?
N-----R---- Conservation Service?

bhanks55
01-30-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.mo.nrcs.usda.gov/

E_308
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Ditto?
N-----R---- Conservation Service?

Natural Resource

Lickcreek
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Winter Rye is quite cheap and grows well in most soils. Liming is a good idea no matter what you plant though, and will save you money on fertilizer in the long run.

I won't argue with liming by any means but winter rye will grow on pretty low PH and not a drop of fertilizer. Field rye is always my first choice for low fertility, low budget situations.

Rye will also help in starting to rebuild poor soils.

I watch for high nitrogen lawn fertlizers on end of summer sales and use that for small areas when planting rye...although a little N will make rye grow like crazy so make sure you don't plant the rye to early or it will get too mature!

I bought little 15,000 sq ft bags of fertlizer for 4 bucks a bag from Wally Mart and the rye I used it on grew like gangbusters!

Just some options to consider...:)