PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on planting corn? (broadcast)

JBGulf Shores
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I have not really done this before and wonder if anyone has any tips?
We will spray 3 or 4 acres about march.
It already has oats and it is in pretty good shape!
I have a quad with a sprayer, a broadcast spreader, large-smooth disc to cover and a cultipacker.

Any other suggestions?

RobertD
01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
The further ahead of planting you spray, the better off you will be, the ground really mellows up a lot when those roots in the ground rot.

It takes a LOT of fertilizer to get ears of corn, especially on sandy type dirt. Where are you planting?

Do you want stalks standing late into the season? Tropical corn planted late may help.

HabitatMD
01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
I did a calculation last year on what optimal spacing should be.

Lets assume 30,000 seeds/acre. So an acre is 43,560 sq ft. So that would be 30,000 seeds/43560 sq ft which is about 0.7 seeds/square foot. So that is 0.7 seeds/144 square inches. So to know what what approximate spacing to look for you set up the ratio 0.7/144=1/X X=206 square inches. Take the square root and you have 14.3 square inches. So basically for 30,000 seeds/acre, you can eyeball or measure how far apart the seeds are from one another. They should be on average around 14-15". Some will obviously be closer and some will be further, but that is about what you are looking for.

I guess I have too much time on my hands.

Lickcreek
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Lets assume 30,000 seeds/acre. So an acre is 43,560 sq ft. So that would be 30,000 seeds/43560 sq ft which is about 0.7 seeds/square foot. So that is 0.7 seeds/144 square inches. So to know what what approximate spacing to look for you set up the ratio 0.7/144=1/X X=206 square inches. Take the square root and you have 14.3 square inches. So basically for 30,000 seeds/acre, you can eyeball or measure how far apart the seeds are from one another. They should be on average around 14-15". Some will obviously be closer and some will be further, but that is about what you are looking for.

No TSI today? :D

Couple main things about corn...it LOVES nitrogen and LOTS of it!

Corn HATES weeds and will do poorly without weed control

For best results plan on 100-150#'s of ACTUAL nitrogen per acre, or 300#'s o 46-0-0 urea which would give you 138#'s of N.

Apply the urea just before planting and disc it in!! Don't leave it on top of the soils surface or it will denitrfy and most of it will be wasted.

If you plant RR corn then you can apply roundup as needed for weeds but one runs over a lot of corn spraying roundup on broadcast corn.

Better to use pre-emergence herbicides like BicepII or Dual MagnumII applied right after planting to control weeds.

I've got more planting, fertlizing and spraying advice in my thread on corn and soybeans (http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124239&fpart=1) that may be helpful to you.:)

qdm4me
01-22-2009, 08:05 PM
ok. so if you dont use a row corn planter, do you lightly disc after broadcasting??

Lickcreek
01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
ok. so if you dont use a row corn planter, do you lightly disc after broadcasting??

Yes, that will work...corn and soybean seed can be planted 1 1/2 to 3" deep so it's not that fussy compared to fine seeds.

I would then run a cultipacker over it you have one...:)

Token_Lake
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM

That made my head hurt ! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/40.gif

30,000 seed's = 20#bag ? = lightly broadcast till gone, disc/drag, cultipack, rain, grow :D

edisonck
01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
I have successfully grown corn this way for years:
- plow
- fertilize
- disk
- seed
- disk
- pray for rain

I prefer to use RR corn as it allows easy weed control. I have had minimal losses due to running over the corn spraying as long as the corn is < 3 feet tall.

As others have mentioned, corn loves N. I apply 100#/acre at planting and another 60#/acre ~30 days later.

HabitatMD
01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
The seeds per pound will vary, but if my memory serves me correctly, a 50# bag will cover 2.5-3 acres. Someone please correct me if I am off.

That's why I eyeball seed spacing as opposed to weight per acre.

And Lickcreek, I have to work at the job that pays the bills during the week. Only on the weekends do I get to play with the chainsaw. My brother on the other hand, gets to play with the chainsaw plenty. Would have been a beautiful day to be outside.

Lickcreek
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
The seeds per pound will vary, but if my memory serves me correctly, a 50# bag will cover 2.5-3 acres. Someone please correct me if I am off.

Seed corn is normally sold in 80,000 count bags rather then by the pound.

at 26,000 to 32,000 seeds per bag one can do roughly 2.5 acres as HMD notes...:)

foodplotdude
01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Everyone has given some great advise. Only thing I would add is insect control. Spend the few extra dollars on pre treated corn seed for borer's and other bugs that will rip your investment to shreds if given the opportunity. I use pre treated corn seed and also do a followup with insecticide with roundup application.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Do a little research on insects and corn.

good luck!

Nova
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I have broadcast RR corn now for 4 years and with each year I get better. My main problem has been going to heavy on the seed. Last year was prolly my best crop ever and was still a little heavy on the seeding and prollly not enough fert.

I disc/cultivate the soil
fert and cultivate again
braocast the seed
drag with harrow
Then I put the back pack sprayer on and hit it with round up 2 to 3 times during the summer. It's a little more work with the pack pack sprayer, but you don't wreck any plants that way. I also have a shoulder harness spreader that I spread fert with. 3 one acre plots last year took a fair amount of walking, but it turned out decent.

All that being said I did buy a 2 row planter this fall so things will be easier:p

DJ"S Plot
01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I broadcasted my corn this past year. Didn't follow Ed Spins advice because it did not seem like enough seed on the ground and it came in a bit thick. I saved it by upping the fert.. $$$
20 to 25lbs an acre is about right. See Ed's book. As far as spraying RR after it came up....I ran it over twice with atv spraying and did no noticable damage to the corn. It stood right back up. I also ran it over with my tractor to fert. and it stood back up.
The deer are all over this field now!!

JBGulf Shores
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Its appreciated, sorry for the delayed response, I ran up to the farm for a few days....
season ends next saturday