PDA

View Full Version : What is a Management Buck?

Rockin' G Ranch
11-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I own 75 acres and plant 5-6 acres in food plots. Most of the my land and surrounding land is hardwoods and pine mix with a lot of acorns. There is NO agriculture crops within 50 miles. Based on camera and personal observations I would say my buck:doe ratio is 1:2. I do not see a lot of deer probably only 10-12 in a year. I do see mostly 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks ranging from spikes to 8 pointers. I saw an 11 pointer 2 years ago that I estimated at 3-1/2 years old but have not seen him since.
Last weekend I saw a 6 point 4-1/2 year old that I let pass. Would that be considered a management buck on my property? Should I have taken it? Should I be shooting ANY deer with the low population that I have?:confused:

smsmith
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Management buck is a nice way of saying "cull buck" I believe. If you read Lindsay's article in the last QW, you'll see what he thinks about that topic.

If you know the buck you saw is 4.5, then he certainly is a mature animal. Should you have taken him? You have to decide that.

Archaic
11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Alex, I'll take catagory "Whitetails" for 500 please.

Answer, Management Buck.

What is the difference between QDM and Trophy Management?

Got it... go.

Okay, how about World Leaders for 200 Alex...

Last weekend I saw a 6 point 4-1/2 year old that I let pass. Would that be considered a management buck on my property? Should I have taken it? Should I be shooting ANY deer with the low population that I have?:confused:

No, in my book that would be a Trophy...

Rockin' G Ranch
11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I guess what I am asking is how does taking this 6 pointer improve my QDM?

smsmith
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I guess what I am asking is how does taking this 6 pointer improve my QDM?

That depends, what is your goal? Is it to shoot only "book" bucks? Then IMO that isn't QDM, that's TBM. Is it to grow the best quality whitetails you can, harvest mature bucks and establish a 1:1 buck to doe ratio? Then perhaps shooting him is what you should do.

I can tell you that on my piece of property I wouldn't shoot him. Why? Because my buck/doe ratio isn't where it needs to be. I would therefore shoot a doe (or several) before I shot him. Also, if you know for sure that he is 4.5 then waiting another year until he is what is considered "fully mature" certainly won't hurt anything.

HabitatMD
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd jump at the chance to shoot a 4.5 year old because that is where I have set my age requirements for harvest.

When I hear the term management buck used on some of the TV shows, it seems like they label these deer once they are mature and they know that is all they are going to be. Call them what you will, but they still wait until they reach their potential (or close to it), when they get the label so basically it ends up being the same thing for the most part, shooting mature deer.

USFWC
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Don't make your QDM program so restrictive that it keeps you from having a decent chance at being successful. With bucks, it has as much to do with what you choose to let walk as it does what you choose to shoot. Shooting a 2.5 year old now because it has a better rack would be a mistake as it will reduce the recruitment of bucks into older age classes later on. If you are able to produce bucks that are 4.5 years old, then you have the potential for a very successful QDM program. Personally if I was in your situation, I would have taken him and have been proud to do so...not as a 'management' buck of minimal rack size, but as a deer that meets the management guidelines for harvest age. Just set a harvest age on bucks and stick to it.

Bob S
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Rockin' G Ranch, what age are you managing for as far as bucks?

If a buck meets your age objective, and harvesting him makes you happy, then take him. Think in terms of age, and don't worry about what is on his head.

Rockin' G Ranch
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Rockin' G Ranch, what age are you managing for as far as bucks?

If a buck meets your age objective, and harvesting him makes you happy, then take him. Think in terms of age, and don't worry about what is on his head.

I agree with what you say. I did not pass on him because of his rack - for a 6 pointer he was very nice. My goal is to have more deer. I may hunt for a week without seeing a single deer. Would shooting this buck allow another buck (perhaps one with better head gear) to move in?
Attached is a picture of the 11 pointer I saw in 2006. I watched him for 15 minutes. I got such satisfaction in just seeing such a fine deer on my land that I couldn't pull the trigger. I know this thread is confusing but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on any deer I see on this property until I see deer in larger numbers.

traqem
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Especially on just 75 acres (I manage just 80 myself) your expectations as to number of deer, which seems to be your central question here, will be completely dependent upon the circumstances of your property. As someone said, you can obviously grow deer to 4.5 years old, but will the land and habitat support a larger number of deer? Is it likely that you can, through TSI, etc. increase the carrying capacity of the land? These and other similar questions will have to be answered before you'll know whether or not passing any deer will mean more deer on your property. Maybe, maybe not, depending upon the circumstances. If passing does not mean more deer on the property, then stick to your age restrictions and enjoy producing your own vennison as your plan allows.

USFWC
11-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree with what you say. I did not pass on him because of his rack - for a 6 pointer he was very nice. My goal is to have more deer. I may hunt for a week without seeing a single deer. Would shooting this buck allow another buck (perhaps one with better head gear) to move in?
Attached is a picture of the 11 pointer I saw in 2006. I watched him for 15 minutes. I got such satisfaction in just seeing such a fine deer on my land that I couldn't pull the trigger. I know this thread is confusing but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on any deer I see on this property until I see deer in larger numbers.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from some habitat improvements more than anything. What all have you done in that aspect so far?

Rockin' G Ranch
11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
It sounds like you would benefit greatly from some habitat improvements more than anything. What all have you done in that aspect so far?

My objective now is to increase the deer herd. I have 5-6 aces of food plots in small (less than 1 acre) existing openings. My woods are very dense with briars and small plants/shrubs. The trees are only 15 years old so not tall enough to block sunlight. There is plenty of food, water and cover on the land. I do not set foot in the woods - only travel the roads. Any other ideas?