PDA

View Full Version : Predator Control

harne003
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Killed these two opening day of rifle season here in Alabama. There are no bag limits on predators in Al, but I was wondering what is a good tactic for predator control. First of all let me tell you about the club. It is approx. 1400 acres, half cut-over of varing ages and the rest hard woods. There are ten of us that hunt it but only 5-6 hunt regularly. We have officially instated a buck rule this year aiming to only harvest 3.5 year or older. We average two cats a year for the last 4 years or so.
As far as coyotes or bob cats should we shoot them if we see them or let a few walk?? I sure don't won't to irradicate the bob cat population as they are pretty neat to see, but i definely don't want them to impact our deer or turkey population.

harne003
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
sorry should have read the fox thread below...but would still appreciate you thought on cats

banc123
11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Down here, they are only allowed for a portion of the season. I've only seen one in 4 years with my eyes during muzzle and it wasn't open. I get one a week on cam. They do impact the turkeys, from time to time I find piles of feathers. They are said to take young fawns as well. For Bobcats, I'll stick to the season restrictions and will shoot if I seen one, Yotes are open season all year long and if given the chance would take every one I see.