PDA

View Full Version : What is Ed Spin’s roundup mixture for Clo

Buster
04-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Do any of you guys know the exact ingrediants and solution for Round Up on your clover. I keep reading about doing this on your clover, but want exact figures as not to ruin my plots. Thanks for your help.
Tracy

dogdoc
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Buster I think it is at a 1% concentration or 1 quart of roundup per acre.

dogdoc
04-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Here ya go:
Wait at least two years after establishing the plots. This allows for a good root structure to develop and mature seeds to drop. Between the first and middle of May, wait for the unwanted grass and weeds to grow to a height of four to six inches. Then spray with a glyphosate (Round-up, GLYFLO) along with ammonium sulfate at one quart per acre each. If the plot is in poor shape overseed with the same legume mix at half the rate right after you spray.
If you see a good covering of clover but you do not like the increasing presence of grass, just spray. The spraying will hurt the clover and possibly kill some of it, but it will do the job on the weeds and grass. In three weeks you will want to strangle me, in another three weeks you just may want to kiss me. The spraying sets back the grass and weeds leaving open areas for the dropped seeds and any overseeding you did to germinate. The almost dead clover and birdsfoot trefoil should come back and sometimes very thick because of their well-established root system. The dead grass and weeds become a perfect mulch of shade and encourage the seeds to germinate and the old legume root system to regenerate.
Repeat as necessary with a gap of at least two years between sprayings. It is important to spray only during the first half of May. I use Round-up because it kills the grass and broadleaf weeds and opens up the soil surface for the old-dropped seeds and newly-broadcast seeds to germinate, yet leaves enough cover for shade. If all things work right, there should be a fairly clean legume plot with little competition. Some feel unsure about using a glyphosate because it does hurt and may kill the existing legume plot. The secret is in the timing of the spraying in early May, provided there is plenty of moisture to ensure preferred plant survival. I have, with experimentation, killed the legume by spraying too much glyphosate in late spring or spraying in drought conditions.

Directly from the horse's mouthsmileys/smiley1.gif

Buster
04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks.
If my plot is .15 acres, what is the ratio of roundup to water. Man, I don't know anything about this stuff. A quart seems like alot for 1 acre.
Tracy

cheesehead
04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Buster,

1% is 1.25 oz per gallon of water.

This concept scares me but I just might try it. I just had this discussion with my local co-op guy this weekend. I have not found a place to get smaller amounts of Poast for the grasses. Here is his advice using round up on clover.

He agrees with the 1-2% concept. He suggested that I spray immediately after cutting in June ideally. The theory is that the round up will not kill the clover that has most of it's leaves gone and is mostly stems. Now I have spotty grass issues, not grass throughout my clover. I am still more interested in Poast since I do not have a really big problem.