PDA

View Full Version : Word to the wise...

mlewis
08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Guys,

I know (or hope) that by now, most of us are using safety harnesses, not only in our stands but if possible on the way up and down. After what happened to me this weekend, I most definitely will use mine all the time.

I was going to move my stand to another tree for bow season. I put on my safety harness and started to climb the climbing sticks. I use a lock on at about 20ft. high. I get eye level with the stand and I grab the ratchet straps and start to loosen them, when all of a sudden I started feeling and hearing wasps or hornets buzz all around me. Before I knew it I was surrounded. In a panic, I started to swat at them as they were diving at me and of course lost my grip with the ladder and slipped. The harness did its job to the fullest and I did not move. I use a Gorilla full body harness that came with my stand. I am about 300 lbs. and it held me very tight and secure. I was hoping I would never have to test the durability of a safety harness, but after this weekend, I trust them with my life.

I just wanted to share to maybe remind everyone that even though what we do is fun, it can also be very dangerous and should be taken very seriously, so please use a safety harness if you are going to hunt from a tree. Happy hunting this year guys and gals and be safe.

banc123
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow, so you were left hanging with wasps ? How'd that turn out ?

I'm looking for a new full body harness, I've temped fate way too many times.

splitG2
08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Mlewis, I'm glad to here your ok! I been bowhunting for 24 years and last year in December I took my first fall. I just finished hanging my stand but didn't step into it. Climbed back down to tie up my gear and headed up the tree with my safety harness on but not attached to anything yet. Took a step onto the stand when the suddenly the stand strap came loose and i went right over. My hand got caught on something and it put me upright and i landed on my feet. Took 12 stiches in the hand. I was hunting alone and scared #@%#. I was very lucky. Now a father I take every precaution to be safe and make sure I come home to my family. Everyone have a safe season.

mlewis
08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow, so you were left hanging with wasps ? How'd that turn out ?

I'm looking for a new full body harness, I've temped fate way too many times.

It turned out ok. By "hanging" for about 10-15 seconds, I was able to assess the situation and get back onto the tree and scurry down. I took a couple of stings to the arm, but I was so panicked and full of adrenaline, I honestly did not realize it until a few minutes later. It was a crazy situation. Needless to say, I think I will let that stand alone until the winter weather sets in.

scswitchback
08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree. I use a harness anytime I'm in a hang-on or climber, but not in a ladder stand. However, I want someone to explain to me how it's possible to always be connected to the tree. In other words, when climbing up to the stand, how do you get a harness around the steps, limbs, etc.?

mlewis
08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I agree. I use a harness anytime I'm in a hang-on or climber, but not in a ladder stand. However, I want someone to explain to me how it's possible to always be connected to the tree. In other words, when climbing up to the stand, how do you get a harness around the steps, limbs, etc.?

My harness is a full body harness. It came with a strap that attaches around the tree and thru a loop from the back of the harness for when you are stationed in the stand. It also came with a strap that buckles around the tree thru 2 loops on each side of the harness at my hips. It allows me to climb and adjust this strap as a climb. It is kind of a hassle, but after what it did for me yesterday, I will never be without it.

outdoorstom
08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
That's a pretty scary story! I'm sure you just convinced some of the people here that it's worth the hassle of putting it on.

Personally, I wear the Hunter Safety System vest....it's very quick to put on.

I was visiting my Dad in the hospital a week ago and his roommate was an 18 year old kid. He was there because he fell 15 feet while hanging a stand. He broke 3 vertabrae, but it could have been a lot worse.

splitG2
08-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I want someone to explain to me how it's possible to always be connected to the tree.

scsswitchback, hunter safety system and summit both have it. I believe its called life line? it's simply a prusic knot. You can go to summitstands.com to find out how to construct one. After my fall these will be on all my stands.

RwB
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I bought an extra climbing strap for when i need to go around tree limbs. One strap is attached under the limb until i get the 2nd strap attached above the limb.

I never leave the ground without my safety vest and climbing straps.