PDA

View Full Version : 1st time fertilizer

Buster
04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello all,
Just got my soil test back. I have 1 halfacre plot with clover, 1 half acre plot with clover/chicory, and then 1 2 acre plot with buckwheat, wheat/peas, and turnips. I need 500 lbs of 0-46-0 and 500 lbs of 0-0-60. Being the first time to spread this with my atv spreader. How do most guys haul this and how much is 500 lbs. What would work well. I figured I'd get it to my site and spread the recommended amounts on my plots. I'm in Iowa and my ph on the 3 plots was 6.4, 6.7 and 6.8 so I think my ph is great and wont need lime. Thanks for the input.
Tracy

cheesehead
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Tracy,

First of all, for that amount I would purchase it bulk at a local crop supply place. They can blend whatever you want. My place has a 500lb minimum but you can get some 0-46-60 or at least very close (0-0-60 is straight potash which everyone has). Frankly I find it surprising that there is no recommendation for nitrogen, especially with what you are planting. I would put in nitrogen and use a blend of at least 15-46-60 to meet your goals. I also spread with an ATV and at that level I pull a small wagon/trailer with the spreader strapped on. I am then able to refill my spreader at the plot site at lease a couple of times.

Hope that helps!